New house ban mechanic

Bobby123

Grandmaster
yea ive just been playing now pot times seem way off to me im throwin like 2.2 when normally it woudl be 2.6 and if i run in a straight like for to long i seem to get a strange animation its almost the same animation u get when u manually resync but no resync msg.

YA . everytime when i recall into a new screen , it lags up and freeze a little

Athrez

Grandmaster
If nothing else has been changed except this resync bug fix, I tell you, I think the fastest way to see if that change caused this or not would be to just turn it back how it was before and see if it has an immediately impact to the things we are now experiencing. If still having same problems then obviously it's not that and it's something else that is causing our problems.

Wouldn't this be the easiest and fastest way to start solving the problem?

Baby Blue

Master
Sucks... works perfectly for myself. I just pvped with some other people for 4+ hours and didn't notice a single lag or resync spike. Also asked whether some other american factioners (marley etc.) noticed any lag and they said "no it's better now".

Derwolf

Grandmaster
Sucks... works perfectly for myself. I just pvped with some other people for 4+ hours and didn't notice a single lag or resync spike. Also asked whether some other american factioners (marley etc.) noticed any lag and they said "no it's better now".

i would agree with this, its pretty awesome dueling/fighting without getting the annoying resync bug that would constantly cause me to freeze up for a second

Staff

Young Player Help
The speedhack is a bit tight right now. I need to explain how it works though so people stop thinking that it messes with their pot timers and what not.

You send a move packet -> your next available move time is updated.
You send another move packet BEFORE your next available move. Your next available move time is updated with the difference of what your next available move time was. This is additive. So, eventually, you'll have sent enough move packets before your next available move that you'll hit a threshold target. Once you have hit this threshold, your movement packets are throttled.

When your movement packets start being throttled, they go to a queue and this queue is dequeued from once per time slice. A slice happens multiple times a second. So, instead of it pushing through a few move packets per slice, it'll start limiting your move packets once per slice.

This has no impact on your other packets. You don't actually lag at all. All that is happening is your movement packets are being sent to a queue. All other packets flow as normal.

So, this will have 0 impact on your pots, spells and people on screen. You could be completely frozen from the speedhack detection and you'd be able to throw pots fine.

In theory, people with a higher latency shouldn't be setting it off even. It should be the player with a very low latency that accidently hits the movement threshold. However, because of how networking works, it is possible for all players to have bursts of packets here and there that might set it off.

Last edited by a moderator:

Malkraven

Grandmaster
The speedhack is a bit tight right now. I need to explain how it works though so people stop thinking that it messes with their pot timers and what not.

You send a move packet -> your next available move time is updated.
You send another move packet BEFORE your next available move. Your next available move time is updated with the difference of what your next available move time was. This is additive. So, eventually, you'll have sent enough move packets before your next available move that you'll hit a threshold target. Once you have hit this threshold, your movement packets are throttled.

When your movement packets start being throttled, they go to a queue and this queue is dequeued from once per time slice. A slice happens multiple times a second. So, instead of it pushing through a few move packets per slice, it'll start limiting your move packets once per slice.

This has no impact on your other packets. You don't actually lag at all. All that is happening is your movement packets are being sent to a queue. All other packets flow as normal.

So, this will have 0 impact on your pots, spells and people on screen. You could be completely frozen from the speedhack detection and you'd be able to throw pots fine.

But why would the speed hack detection kick in for me at all i ping over 100ms and have never used any kinda speed hack? if i run in a straight line for 30 secs or so i can see something trying to slow me down ( the mount animation stops so it looks like my mount's arse is jumping up and down) once it started doin this it wont stop it again unless i stop moving for a few secs.

i cant possibly be hitting any cap to warrent throttling.

Staff

Young Player Help
But why would the speed hack detection kick in for me at all i ping over 100ms and have never used any kinda speed hack? if i run in a straight line for 30 secs or so i can see something trying to slow me down ( the mount animation stops so it looks like my mount's arse is jumping up and down) once it started doin this it wont stop it again unless i stop moving for a few secs.

i cant possibly be hitting any cap to warrent throttling.

The effect is cumulative.

Say I move and now my next movement time is now + 10ms. Say I send another move packet to the server 1 ms after that. Now my next movement time is actually the time from my last packet + 19ms.

This continues on until the server finally says, ok this guy's next movement time is supposed to be 100ms but I just received ANOTHER packet from him. 100ms is my limit! Now, since you've hit my limit, I'm going to start putting your packets into a queue and limiting them until you slow down a bit here.

This is why when you stop moving for a second or two, it resets. Your next movement time 0s out because it notices you haven't moved in a couple of seconds.

Pretty much anyone sending a packet faster (low latency) than the speedhack threshold will hit the throttle eventually. That is why we have to continue to tweak it to find a happy medium.

Malkraven

Grandmaster
The effect is cumulative.

Say I move and now my next movement time is now + 10ms. Say I send another move packet to the server 1 ms after that. Now my next movement time is actually the time from my last packet + 19ms.

This continues on until the server finally says, ok this guy's next movement time is supposed to be 100ms but I just received ANOTHER packet from him. 100ms is my limit! Now, since you've hit my limit, I'm going to start putting your packets into a queue and limiting them until you slow down a bit here.

This is why when you stop moving for a second or two, it resets. Your next movement time 0s out because it notices you haven't moved in a couple of seconds.

Pretty much anyone sending a packet faster (low latency) than the speedhack threshold will hit the throttle eventually. That is why we have to continue to tweak it to find a happy medium.

W/E you did in last restart seems to have fixed it TY

but reading what you say what will happen if i ping varies and jumps to 150 ms then back down to 100 ( which it does alot on this server) is that gonna trigger a throttle?

Could that have been my issue cos my ping jumps around alot? idk why.

Staff

Young Player Help
W/E you did in last restart seems to have fixed it TY

but reading what you say what will happen if i ping varies and jumps to 150 ms then back down to 100 ( which it does alot on this server) is that gonna trigger a throttle?

Could that have been my issue cos my ping jumps around alot? idk why.

You might hit it after running for an extended period of time but it should balance out in the long run.

Athrez

Grandmaster
I just logged in. Everything seems smooth and fine like it used to. Haven't tried to PvP or throw pots yet but I haven't "lagged" yet.

So basically what you are saying means that the high pingers will get more of this force thing than the low pingers? This because the high pingers ping jump more and the scale is bigger. Even with VPN.

Staff

Young Player Help
High ping players will have
I just logged in. Everything seems smooth and fine like it used to. Haven't tried to PvP or throw pots yet but I haven't "lagged" yet.

So basically what you are saying means that the high pingers will get more of this force thing than the low pingers? This because the high pingers ping jump more and the scale is bigger. Even with VPN.

Higher latency players should be sending less movement packets overall. You should be hitting the throttle less, not more.

Also, like I said, it has no impact on any other packet than the move packet. So, throwing pots won't be affected.

Last edited by a moderator:

Malkraven

Grandmaster
High ping players will have

Higher latency players should be sending less movement packets overall. You should be hitting the throttle less than more.

Also, like I said, it has no impact on any other packet than the move packet. So, throwing pots won't be affected.

it seem's perfect atm .

thanks for sorting it out so quickly

Athrez

Grandmaster
Alright. We'll see how it goes. For now it looks good. The other fins I am playing with say the same. Thanks for fixing it quickly. :)