New to UO

Stacesune

After posting on the UO Subreddit, they pointed me toward UOF. Now, I am COMPLETELY new to UO. I've watched others play it and have seen some stories about the official servers' good old days, but it was before my time. Im actually new to MMOs in general, actually. I've been testing a few out to see which ones strike my fancy but so far its just been that, testing them out with no actual decision where I plan to stake my claim.

So tips for a newbie, or some suggested builds helpful ;D Pkers no gank plz :p

Shane

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to Ultima Online Forever and UO itself!

I will tell you now there is a learning curve, but with that i can promise you an exciting experience that is not mind numbing and also rewarding.
There's a reason people love this game still.

@Bromista @GluttonySDS @Blair @Blaine the Gypsy @JennaL @Salsa @Skye Wolfbane @Swayze

Are just some random people off the top of my head that will be more than happy to help you out fully. I can almost assume that one of these guys or someone else will even give you a small house to start out in.

Look to join the new players guild and direct yourself to some companion help in game.

Again, Welcome!

Salsa

Grandmaster
After posting on the UO Subreddit, they pointed me toward UOF. Now, I am COMPLETELY new to UO. I've watched others play it and have seen some stories about the official servers' good old days, but it was before my time. Im actually new to MMOs in general, actually. I've been testing a few out to see which ones strike my fancy but so far its just been that, testing them out with no actual decision where I plan to stake my claim.

So tips for a newbie, or some suggested builds helpful ;D Pkers no gank plz :p

First tip is to no longer look at the UO Subreddit, bunch of mad people in there slandering the server for no reason. But glad you made it.

Bromista

Grandmaster
Aye, UO subreddit is a cesspool

Here's a few general tips:

Provo is a cheap and effective PvM build to help get things rolling. For supplemental skills dexer is cheaper than mage. Magey is a valuable skill to have though and some sacrifice resist to have it on a Provo dexer build. That makes you vulnerable to PKs but it's a judgement call.

Skill gain has been given a boost in dungeons so making chars is relatively cheap and easy. 5x mage will cost you about 75k and a day of dedicated macroing. Dexers less but you'll still need some reg expenses to gain resist.

Get an alt acct (or two) rolling ASAP so you can have chars on standby to bail yourself out. Having multiple clients running and on standby is invaluable. I'd suggest a heal mage to back up your PvMer.

Crafting can be good money if you pull BODs regularly.

Take advantage of the duel pits, tournaments, CTF/FFA events, etc to dip your toes in PvP on the server. Free gear to play around with, just bring your own STR and DEX pots as they are not supplied for you. Any special gear you use will not be lost in these events.

Lots to do...so little time. Enjoy your stay!

Stacesune

Aye, UO subreddit is a cesspool

Here's a few general tips:

Provo is a cheap and effective PvM build to help get things rolling. For supplemental skills dexer is cheaper than mage. Magey is a valuable skill to have though and some sacrifice resist to have it on a Provo dexer build. That makes you vulnerable to PKs but it's a judgement call.

Skill gain has been given a boost in dungeons so making chars is relatively cheap and easy. 5x mage will cost you about 75k and a day of dedicated macroing. Dexers less but you'll still need some reg expenses to gain resist.

Get an alt acct (or two) rolling ASAP so you can have chars on standby to bail yourself out. Having multiple clients running and on standby is invaluable. I'd suggest a heal mage to back up your PvMer.

Crafting can be good money if you pull BODs regularly.

Take advantage of the duel pits, tournaments, CTF/FFA events, etc to dip your toes in PvP on the server. Free gear to play around with, just bring your own STR and DEX pots as they are not supplied for you. Any special gear you use will not be lost in these events.

Lots to do...so little time. Enjoy your stay!

This literally made NO sense to me at all xD

Bromista

Grandmaster
Examples of PvM builds:

Provocation
Musicianship
Swords (or other weapon skill)
Healing
Anatomy
Tactics
Resist spells OR Magery

Provocation
Musicianship
Magery
Meditation
Evaluating Intelligence
Resisting spells
Wrestling

Heal mage support char:
Healing
Anatomy
Magery
Meditation
Evaluating Intelligence
Resisting Spells
Wrestling

Training:

Always go off real skill not "enhanced" skill that is inflated by your stats. You'll find this gem to select on your skills GUMP.

If you want to preserve your young status as long as possible, lock all skills that are not beneficial to your build to stay under the 500 or 600 skill point mark to benefit from the young status while training. This will make life easier.

For combat skills just whack away at critters or a character on another account. Train multiple characters from multiple accounts at the same time for faster gains (but greater expense for materials of course, regs, bandages, armor, weapons etc)

Set up macros in your assistant program to use bandage by type on a loop for 15 seconds to cross-heal your characters as you do this. This is the cheapest way to heal yourself whether doing dexer skills or magery skills. Only trouble is if you do that on a mage you are going to eat into your overall skill cap and lose young status faster but you'll have a finished character very quickly.

For mage skills consult a training guide to see what to cast when. The philosophy is the same though, cast offensive spells on yourself or an alt with pauses for healing and meditation. It's roughly something like lightning lvl 4 spell to 55 real magery, mind blast to 65 magery, energy bolt to 75 magery, and mana vampire to GM.

You should get plenty of resist gains leading up to the point where you cast mana vampire. As long as you are 65 resist before starting mana vampire you will reach GM with that spell it just takes a decent amount of time and resources.

As for practice in PvP, you do not need literally any skills to be able to fight in the duel pits or events if you see a GUMP pop up to join in one. Do it! They are great fun and practice. You can set your build with the [templates command and like I said if you have nongear it is supplied for you. This is best place to try new builds or tactics, kind of like a little pocket of Test Center.

That should help a little bit, if you have any specific questions you can find about any info you need on the forums. Moreover, the UO Forever IRC channel is an invaluable resource. Lot of helpful people there to answer your questions. Just ignore @TyraeL! pls he is A1 IRC troll (but can also helpful sometimes...rarely...like once in a blue moon)

Jager

Grandmaster
Need a house? I have a small deed you can have. Someone might have a spot for you to place , I'm sure there's lots for small. Not much but it's a start

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Stacesune

Need a house? I have a small deed you can have. Someone might have a spot for you to place , I'm sure there's lots for small. Not much but it's a start

I haven't even rolled my character yet xD I'm reading things and trying to understand skills, and basically how to play atall, still.

Jager

Grandmaster
I haven't even rolled my character yet xD I'm reading things and trying to understand skills, and basically how to play atall, still.
Start a character and just play around. Best way to learn is to get dirty. Give me a shout when your ready for a house and we will get this small goin for ya.

GluttonySDS

Grandmaster
If youre interested in learning how to PVP the most important skill to learn is movement... go buy a horse and just run around the map for a few days learning how to run quickly and not get caught up on everything(trees, bushes, animals) etc.

Its a great game that gives a thrill no other game can provide... which is why many of us still play after 18 years ;)

Lithium149

Grandmaster
Agreed with the rest of the people here, at first you are going to be very over whelmed there are just so many aspects of this game you can dip into Player vs Player, Player vs Monster, Crafting, Events(CTF/Dueling/King of the Hill/Team vs Team), Training Skills, Fishing, Treasure Hunting the list can literally go on.

What I highly suggest is like Jager said is just jump in feet first, start a character and get a feel for the game before you try and digest all this knowledge everyone is throwing at you.

Like Bromista said, a very cheap effective and best/easiest template to start farming higher end creatures is the Bard Provo/Archer build, and I will leave the template below including stats you want to aim for once your character is finished.

Bard Provo Archer Template;

Musicianship
Provocation
Tactics
Anatomy
Archery
Hiding
Healing

Stats; 100 Strength/100 Dexterity/25 Intelligence

If you need any more assistance, feel free to send me a PM I may not be super rich but I can at least get ya started with a few runebooks/runes to get you to and from and teach you a few spots to hunt for some coin!

Welcome to UO Forever and hope to see you in-game, apologies in advance if I end up killing you once you lose your YOUNG status ;)

Regards,

Last edited by a moderator:

Bromista

Grandmaster
And and don't forget to hit up the wiki. There are some articles there that need attention but also plenty of good info. Few have taken the time to put much into it like @halygon has.

I'll admit I haven't added anything :oops: