Opinions On Starters - a New Blend

Nathaniell

Novice
So Question for the Masses.

normally the advice is go bard, make money easy.

I this time around am not following this - Straight up making a fighter.

My new thing is that barding is boring, and how can it attract new players? If the game is to make monsters attack each other then wait 25minutes for them to die. I am going a swordsman with healing, Plate armour and Hally and healing. 100 str 100 dex.

This should allow me to melee most mobs for gold making purposes - I will make a tamer for obvious reasons, but for now do you think this will work? I even picked the warrior tempate from the create a char section, straight from that I can clear Graveyards etc, so at GM MAX 700 I will be able to clear most dungeons, just not elites.

Anyone reckon this could be viable? I will be doing this anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

Malkraven

Grandmaster
Warrior is viable for alot of monsters but taking on higher end monsters will be a pain in the ass. i was hoping Slayer armor would make this sort of template more viable but we haven't really seen much of it yet ..

thestand

Grandmaster
The high end monsters are going to hurt you. I know you said you don't want to do bard but I would try one of the archer/bard combos.

Nathaniell

Novice
I've barded my whole UO Career, my point was to make a playable toon that is viable and fun.
When you first start barding it can be really fun - dont get my wrong, but its time for a change. I will run with this and see what happens. Might take hiding as skill and then try the higher end stuff.

reason being - Hit, Run, Hide, Heal, Hit.

Aslong as I dont get killed by 1 hit this could be viable, and for my main reason, Fun and Enjoyable, Thanks for replying

Sumyungguy

Journeyman
I always start with a warrior. Its a good way to figue out the game mechanics, u have a chance agains pks and u dont have to be on the run all the time cuz u can take some damge.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

IMHO, the best starting build to get a good feel of the game is a Peace Warrior. Basically you make your character like this:

Weapon Skill -- Maces for cheap, Swords for diversity, Archery for best damage.
Tactics
Anatomy
Healing
Magery
Music
Peace

Most of the time you can peace a monster and it will not attack you long enough for you to kill it. On harder mobs, like paragons, lich lords, etc., use area peace. This will make the toughest monsters not attack for 2-4 seconds, basically acting as 100% damage mitigation for that time period.

So basically, this build trivializes 90% of monsters from attacking you, and gives you a chance at soloing some of the more lucrative mobs in the game.

Nathaniell

Novice
Hmmm

Weapon Skill -- Maces for cheap, Swords for diversity, Archery for best damage.
Tactics
Anatomy
Healing
Magery
Music
Peace

I am going to try this, although Dropping Magery for resist. Thanks for this Build, Seems like it going to be fun!

Defari

Adept
I started here with a dexxer (fencing) just to get some starter gold to make a provo/mage. It's lots of fun to play - but I realized very quickly that it is not viable at all for higher end dungeon mobs from a risk vs reward perspective.

Think about it - if my bard dies I lose 25 of each reagent and an npc bought instrument (no armor - I roll naked while hunting. If you're getting hit you're playing the bard wrong). If your melee character dies you will lose weapons, armor, reagents, potions etc. and if you are fighting higher end monsters you will most likely need slayer weapons, decent magic armor and so on (which equates to putting more of your gear at risk). For putting more gear at risk you would expect more reward but in reality it's the other way around.

Also, can you imagine how difficult it would be to melee a Balron or Ancient Wyrm? Holy crap... Not saying it can't be done (I'm sure it has been) but dayyyuumm! In the amount of time it would take for you to melee a Balron a bard can kill 3-4 of them while the bard is only risking 600-700g of gear while you would be risking 10k+.

But than again if you're simply looking for something different I say go for it!

kurtis

Grandmaster
I always start with a warrior. Its a good way to figue out the game mechanics, u have a chance agains pks and u dont have to be on the run all the time cuz u can take some damge.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

^ I'm the same way, for the same reasons.

Even a PvP-built warrior or mage can make plenty of gold on this server. Warriors in particular can make lots of gold using silver or slayer weapons. And like Sumyungguy said, you can actually defend against PK's, or just generally do well in PvP situations. I don't have a PvM character, and I have more than enough gold and magic items from farming with my PvP templates. I actually do most of my farming with my PvP poison dexer. I don't even use poison on the mobs. My 90 dex and GM swords/tact/anat crushes down liches and lich lords (I have GM resist).

But as mentioned, you will not be able to take on higher end MOB's, like dragons, wyrms, balrons, etc. But you said you're making a tamer for that so...a warrior will be fine.

The peacemaking template actually sounds pretty interesting. But a warrior without resist sounds like a tough time. And you'll get rocked by PK's. If you do that, there's no need to wear plate as it will drop your dex low. The peacemaking would be your defense from taking damage - you'll want the higher dex/stamina to chop down mobs faster. Plate is kind of gimp on this server. And I would strongly suggest a faster weapon than a halberd. Halberds are great for those moments when you need a lot of dmg in one swipe (like hally mages needed in the insta-hit days), but for money-making you want the best DPS, which is going to be a faster weapon like a katana. Also, with a one-handed weapon you can drink a potion in an emergency without disarming.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nathaniell

Novice
I have took all this information and come up with how I'm going to approach this.

MY main toon will be my warrior with this template

Swords
Tactics
Anatomy
Healing
Music
Peacemaking
Resist

Weapon can be personal choice I guess, but Using peacemaking I can still use the timer like if I was a Hally mage for PVP., I Can then also swap out for a katan if I am taking on number of mobs

Whilst PLAYING this toon and Making gold this way, I am macroing a Bard/mage/archer

Music
Provo
Magery
Meditation
Archery
Tactics
Resist

Once these are GM'd (7 x 100) I will be starting my tamer.

The Warrior will be for actively playing whilst If i need gold I can turn to my bard.

Once again thank you to previous posts and information

Please keep in mind although Im try and want to progress this is about me having fun also - Yes peacemaking will be my defence, but I'm going to be hitting stuff so i need some armour!