Orc Slayer over Repond Slayer?

Hexoplex

Grandmaster
Do lesser slayer have a purpose, or could we do without them?

I spent 2 - 3 hours each day last weekend crafting, smelted all the non-slayers and brought home 87 weapons. After IDing and sorting them by Super Slayer and MotM, I ended up with what I would considered a bag of 34 junk slayers. Removing the MotM from the equation and I ended up with 60 "junk" and 27 supers. I now a bag of 34 weapons (possibly 60) that I am not going to do anything with until my house starts telling me that there is no more room, there are probably several more people doing the same thing.

To keep the math simple, we'll use 2 hours as the average crafting time that crafters spend crafting a day and use the numbers from above and 50 crafters (random amount for easy math).

50crafter(2hours x 60junk) x 7days = 42,000 extra items a week
or with the smaller number:
50crafter(2hours x 34junk) x 7days = 23,800 extra items a week

An extra 42,000 items being created/stored a week just from crafting adds up really fast (2,184,000 a year).

So back to the questions at hand:
Do lesser slayers serve a purpose or could we do without them? As a player, would you choose the Orc Slayer over the Repond Slayer?

Nekronos

Master
I like a handful of lesser slayers.

Dragon slaying, flame dousing, Orc slayer, water dissipation, demon and balron.

I use the flame dousing and Orc slaying myself for farming in Fire or Orc Cave lvl 3. Highly effective and if you die you didn't lose a SSlayer. The water dissipation is good enough for me at the water champ and I'm gonna die so why worry about losing an elemental ban. feel like I may wanna farm balron and demon so same idea. I pitch pretty much any other lesser slayer. We save the good lesser slayers and make them available to guildmates for free farming weapons.

AreYouKidden

Grandmaster
We have a similar issue with slayer spell books - Supers, and MOTM sell like crazy, lessers I used to buy specific ones as a new mage, less established, because they were cheaper, but I'm trying to sell them myself at 1-2 gp per charge, so 1k for a 1,000 charge book, and it doesn't sell, and the I get about 1 slayer, to 10 lesser slayers when crafting.

What is the suggestion though? Replace lessers, with supers? You'd have such an over abundance of supers you'd kill the value.

Reduce the crafting chance, but only create supers, so that the number of supers created doesn't explode, yet you don't have to deal with the lessers?

Some happy medium?

Hexoplex

Grandmaster
Highly effective and if you die you didn't lose a SSlayer.
With only 7 supers to choose from (Silver, Exorcism, Reptilian, Repond, Fey, Elemental, Arachnid), wouldn't they all just be considered slayers? Wouldn't be more of them overall, therefor cheaper to replace?

What is the suggestion though? Replace lessers, with supers?
Possibly, it would greatly reduce the item count overall.

You'd have such an over abundance of supers you'd kill the value.

Reduce the crafting chance, but only create supers, so that the number of supers created doesn't explode, yet you don't have to deal with the lessers?
What if they came with charges like the spell books? Make it a flat amount, like 1,000 hits, they would eventually need to be replaced and not kill the value. At 5 or10 gold a charge they would still be worth 5k to 10k and need to be replaced every other day or so depending on how heavy you farm.

AreYouKidden

Grandmaster
I don't know anything about weapon durability, how long they last, if there is durability, but definitely they should have durability, and not be able to be repaired, that totally undermine's the ability to keep crafting.

With spellbooks if the price dropped on supers, I don't know that I could say a 120 Inscription scroll was worth the effort.

Hexoplex

Grandmaster
With spellbooks if the price dropped on supers, I don't know that I could say a 120 Inscription scroll was worth the effort.
1,000 charges @ 5 a charge = 5,000 x 100 = 500,000 gold. Factoring in scrolls, after about the 125th one you start turning profit (guesstimated).

I'd pay 5k for a slayer spell book/weapon and not be upset when it got taken away from me, even if i had just bought it and recalled to a farming spot. Even at 10k it would only sting a little. I'd know that it wouldn't take me another few hours to try and locate a replacement.

AreYouKidden

Grandmaster
Sure - except Inscription 120 is over 1 million now, probably about 1.4 million including the other PS to get to 120..

Increasing the amount of super slayers out there, would lower the price, but also make them much more readily available, it could really hurt the market. To the point that making 125th SS books would just give me an over abundance that never sold.

I'd love to see the lessers go away, but I think you need to balance out the supers so too many aren't entering the market, and potentially destroying it.

Swayze

Grandmaster
When I farm MOTM I usually buy the specific slayers instead of the super slayer because it is cheaper on peoples vendors.

Hexoplex

Grandmaster
When I farm MOTM I usually buy the specific slayers instead of the super slayer because it is cheaper on peoples vendors.
Currently, but wouldn't the price come down as there would only be 7 options to choose from or be crafted? Supers are higher because there is only about a 25% (7/27) chance to craft one IF a slayer is crafted (1% or 2% at 120). That's what, .025% overall?

jkg8787

Master
I don't know anything about weapon durability, how long they last, if there is durability, but definitely they should have durability, and not be able to be repaired, that totally undermine's the ability to keep crafting.

Weapons IMO take a significant amount of swings before losing durability and take a long time to outright be destroyed. If I farm for a few hours I may repair my weapon once and not even because its about to break but I'm just already in the middle of re-stocking and my repair deeds are right close by.

Repairing removes durability, but Powders of Fortification are a plentiful BOD reward which when used on Weapons/Armor increases their durability

Hexoplex

Grandmaster
Weapons IMO take a significant amount of swings before losing durability and take a long time to outright be destroyed. If I farm for a few hours I may repair my weapon once and not even because its about to break but I'm just already in the middle of re-stocking and my repair deeds are right close by.
What if they had charges like the slayer spell books, after so many hits they break and are not repairable? This would only pertain to the slayers though.

jkg8787

Master
What if they had charges like the slayer spell books, after so many hits they break and are not repairable? This would only pertain to the slayers though.
no opinion really, was sorta just chiming in about current durability since they asked.

im not sure what the goal is other than reducing items to improve load times i guess? not to be rude but it seems maybe not high priority. changing things especially which arent really that needed can have ripple effects (which people are discussing) and also takes man hours to implement.

AreYouKidden

Grandmaster
I think the reason would be to reduce number of slayers out there, making crafting more viable, make the 120 blacksmithy more worthwhile, and in conjunction with another post by Hexo - crafting talismans viable..

Hexoplex

Grandmaster
im not sure what the goal is other than reducing items to improve load times i guess?
That and to see what others, both crafters and non-crafters, would think about not having the lesser slayers and only having the supers.

not to be rude but it seems maybe not high priority. changing things especially which arent really that needed can have ripple effects (which people are discussing) and also takes man hours to implement.
You're right this is absolutely not any kind of priority or needed in any way, just folks having a discussion. :)

I think the reason would be to reduce number of slayers out there, making crafting more viable, make the 120 blacksmithy more worthwhile
Don't forget Inscription, Carpentry, and Fletching

and in conjunction with another post by Hexo - crafting talismans viable..
I wasn't really thinking about that. I was looking at my bag of junk and realizing there are probably others with larger and more bags of junk. Then numbers started bouncing around in my head....and we ended up here.

jkg8787

Master
I wasn't really thinking about that. I was looking at my bag of junk and realizing there are probably others with larger and more bags of junk. Then numbers started bouncing around in my head....and we ended up here.
Definitely nothing wrong with the idea, im just more of a Negative Nancy I guess. Or just kinda looking at other side which is like "probably a dozen things id rather see addressed" (not complaining, Devs/GMs are great lol).

I'm sure there would be a riot if you deleted peoples items. Anything. Doesnt matter if theyll never use it. Unless all lesser slayers were being converted.

Definitely always open to tweaks of stuff like this. Everything is related. The crafting feeds the PvP and the PvM which feeds the crafters etc. There's tons of people who play sandbox just to craft so always good to think of stuff to change

halv

Grandmaster
Some lesser slayer spellbooks sell pretty good. Ogre Trashing for talisman leveling. Fisherman mages buy Snakes Bane and Water Dissipation. This two slayer types can be used at Water Champ.
Demon Slayer Books include all Demons and Balrons, combined with Gargoyle you can farm Hythloth. Flame Dousing is very helpful in Fire Dungeon against Pyroclastic and Magma Elementals - very helpful. Orc Slayer is kind of an own super slayer. Earth Shatter are very useful for miner using a gargoyle pickaxe or the secondary char guarding a miner using gargoyle pickaxe.
In Shame 5 a Health Slayer or a Blood Drinking Slayer are very useful. Even Summer wind got a MOTM. There is only one Elemental Slayer for the trashcan, Vaccum...
Spiders Death is a good slayer in Theratan Dungeon or Spider Cave. There is a Ophidian Dungeon where you can burn thru your Ophidian Slayer books without carrying a second slayer.

IMO the only real trash slayers are Vacuum, Scorpion Bane, Lizardman Slaughter and Troll Slaughter. All other lesser slayer are useful.

AreYouKidden

Grandmaster
They are useful, I use them all the time, but they hardly sell, and most people go for the Super that can do the all around. That said, the reason they may not sell is an over saturation of inscription mages now, so removing them could just cause the same thing with the super slayers, and ruin the economy for them. Not sure I'd like to see lessers go away - as much as a pain as they are to me.