Pet bonding and training, plus stables!

Riversilk

Master
As i'm raising a tamer toon here (other than the others, obviosuly) i'm wondering how pet bonding works: if i recall correctly, bonding (and control slots) weren't implement in second age, so i'm not sure this is the same bonding of the newer versions: give pet food each day and after a week and it bounds to yourself, is it correct?

Additionally, i've seen that pet have stats and skills (you can open a gump on them with animal lore)...
- Can you train your own pets to raise their stats/skills?
- Which is the maximum, 100 stats, 100 skills? Do pets with more than 100 (freshly tamed) exist?
- Can you raise their stats/skill even further?
- What happens when a pet dies? Does it lose stats/skills? Can you retrain them to their initial values?
(additionally a link to an already made guide/post would be wonderful)

A question about stables too!
I've understood it costs 150gps to keep a pet in the stables for a week, but does it automatically get another 150gps from bank if you keep your pet for longer, ot do you risk on losing it forever?

Thanks for the info!

eppy

Grandmaster
Just feed it once to start bonding and feed it again after 7 days to complete it.

Yes you can train for skill mostly.
Maximum varies by creature. Yes dragons, wyrms, and nightmares have 500+ hitpoints.
Skills are capped at 100.
Stats can be raised a tiny bit (from what I have read), but you pretty much get what you tame.
Pet dies it turns into a ghost. It loses 0.1 when you res it. Yes you can retrain them.

Stables accrue a bill that you pay when you claim the creature. You will not lose them if they are stabled.

Riversilk

Master
Thank you, you've been very helpful!
Any other suggestions for the new wannabe tamers out in Felucca?

Like... i see many tamers go out with White Wyrm + Dragon (and thus no horse).
Is this the best taming setup?
What about Drakes and Nightmares and other pets?

carsomyr

Grandmaster
i can clearly say this , you can use different pet combinations..sure it depends your farming locations and mobs that you are trying to kill..
you can use combinations like ;
  • dragon + ww (good at high hp mobs like anch. liches , shadow wyrms , balrons)
  • 2 x ww (good at low hp mobs for a quick farm)
  • dragon + nightmare
  • 2 x nightmare (good against pks, also this pets have pack equin special ablity , they makes great damage if you use 2 in same time)
list is going like this , but be sure these are most useful combinations....

Hope it helps , good luck ;)

Bromista

Grandmaster
Equine pack instict gives a damage boost when you use two mares, which is nice because you can still be mounted while using two mares.

Riversilk

Master
Equine pack instict gives a damage boost when you use two mares, which is nice because you can still be mounted while using two mares.

I heard pack instincts didn't work here on UOF, i heard it wrong?

And i thought WW was 3 control slots (as per current UO stats), while it seems it is 2 by the pet combinations you gave us... is there a list of pet control slots on UOF?

Bromista

Grandmaster
Yeah ww are two slots and I have heard it all man, trust me! Lotta people here speak matter of factly about things they are flat oit wrong about. Pack bonus is in.

Pretty much list goes as follows, for worthwhile pets:
Drake/young drag/WW/nightmare = two slots
Dragon/white mare = three slots

Harken110

Expert
I have a question I know that the higher you raise taming and animal lore you gain more stable space. Does this apply to Veterinary as well? I have GM Lore and Taming but about 93 Vet was wondering if I GMed Vet would I get another stable slot?

Kaching

Master
Yeah ww are two slots and I have heard it all man, trust me! Lotta people here speak matter of factly about things they are flat oit wrong about. Pack bonus is in.

Pretty much list goes as follows, for worthwhile pets:
Drake/young drag/WW/nightmare = two slots
Dragon/white mare = three slots

You sure about this? If I have single mare attack target it does roughly 25 dmg. with 2 it should theoretically do 30+ dmg but that is not the case. Fire breath does exact same dmg with 1v2 mares..

Kaching

Master
I just read in another thread apparently the dmg bonus doesn't apply to the firebreath?? I'll try some testing with FS damage from my pets see if that has a change.

Bromista

Grandmaster
I don't think pack bonuses ever applied to fire breath, and I could have sworn pack bonus was in but I have no real evidence of that. If anything it is to the contrary as I've now heard that Shane said pack bonuses are NOT in.

Not sure what to believe but I was convinced my ponies were stronger as a team. So basically it might have been me that was speaking matter of factly about something I was wrong about.

Kaching

Master
Good on you to be humble enough to admit that heh. I'm actually going to train 2x young drags to test... For group PvP they'd be more beneficial with higher int.

Kaching

Master
You mean the mares are quicker? I was running around (not in combat) and the youngs seem to run just as fast as mares.