Pet Stat Loss in PVM has got to go

Adramelech

Master
At least in it's current form.

I am certainly fine with it in PVP. Maybe even make it a higher percentage of loss this disappears in time. But I feel like with the gap being closed between Talisman Mages/Dexers and Tamers in PVM that this is such a great inconvenience that really should be addressed.

Mages and dexers don't have skill loss in PVM and it takes easily 5-10x the effort to get to the point where you can use metas and a very significant amount more of money as well.

Please consider at least the alternative of temporary skill loss rather than permanent skill loss or if we are adamant about keeping some sort of statloss in the game for pets could it be changed to be .1 skill loss for all skills as it is on the standard live UO servers? I definitely don't see a reason for pets to be penalized more than they are on the live UO servers?

Source: http://www.uoguide.com/Pet_Resurrection

Last edited by a moderator:

halygon

Grandmaster
Playing the devils advocate here...

While Dexxors and mages do not get skill loss, they do have a 15 min cool down upon death. Plus when they die, they lose their stock (which is painful for dexxors and less so for mages).

The differences between a mage/dexxor talisman and a meta pet however (or most any pet) is still quite huge. There are many mobs that a mage or dexxor will never hope to take on, but a tamer will always be able to. Meta talismans were not made (and do not) to make dexxors/mages equal to tamers in pvm.

There are a number of things that are huge for tamers already beyond just having a pet. Meta pets can "roll over" in experience and completely reset ALL of their skills and stats - wow, pretty big there. In addition, you can use skill scrolls to fill in skill that you do not want to train manually (or in a few cases because it cannot be trained at such a high level).

Other than annoying to OCD folks, where is the real need to reduce skill loss for pets?

Adramelech

Master
I guess I don't see the purpose it serves? And it makes a meta pet (that already costs an extraordinary amount) bleed money like a sieve as you have to buy the skill scrolls to maintain the stats, or spend an incredible amount of time re-leveling the pet to reset the stats. If the purpose is to temporarily reduce the effectiveness of the tamer could that not be done through temp skill loss instead?

halygon

Grandmaster
I believe the purpose is to induce a risk to using such a high end fiend as your fighting partner.

Adramelech

Master
I believe the purpose is to induce a risk to using such a high end fiend as your fighting partner.

I thought the price we paid for that was the almost 40 million I spent on the pet iself, the relics, powerscrolls, and taming skill scrolls. It just seems wrong to me.. I know it just seems like I am whining here, but I just don't feel like there should be additional financial upkeep when I have already spent so much?

I am fine with there being a risk, especially in PVP. I just think it should be more of a temporary thing. One death on my meta costs me days of fighting mobs to improve the skills back to where they were, especially resist.

halygon

Grandmaster
I thought the price we paid for that was the almost 40 million I spent on the pet iself, the relics, powerscrolls, and taming skill scrolls. It just seems wrong to me.. I know it just seems like I am whining here, but I just don't feel like there should be additional financial upkeep when I have already spent so much?
Cost/time to train or acquire items should (and will not) be calculated into mechanics of pvm or pvp. It IS a part of the rewards you get by using a pet though.

I am fine with there being a risk, especially in PVP. I just think it should be more of a temporary thing. One death on my meta costs me days of fighting mobs to improve the skills back to where they were, especially resist.
I guess my question here is why does your pet have to always be max skills? The actual pvm mechanics will not suffer noticeably by your pet dying once or even multiple times. Your pet would need to die a large number of times before its skill reduction would be noticed.

Hydro

Grandmaster
so give pet temp 50% skill loss for 15m that can be bought out

bam you have a reason to keep your pet alive and but its not fucking perma money sink that i already spent all my $ on

take look at this troll event currently i took my pet first day when rock spam was real and pet died a lot..now my meta is pretty much trashed till i get my 120 taming and 120 lore so i can evo to lvl 7

Adramelech

Master
I guess my question here is why does your pet have to always be max skills? The actual pvm mechanics will not suffer noticeably by your pet dying once or even multiple times. Your pet would need to die a large number of times before its skill reduction would be noticed.

I guess for the same reason anyone wants GM skills for their mages or dexers. To know that they are at peak proficiency? To know that it's DONE. I guess it just seems weird that this effects pets alone. Maybe it wouldn't feel like such a chore if some of the skills were faster to regain so I could feel like I am making reasonable progess? On OSI it was only .1 skill loss per death and the skills regained pretty darn quick too. That wasn't so bad.

I realize you have been a long time advocate for meta pet skill loss, since the very beginning, so I know I won't have much influence changing your mind on this subject. It's not that I want it to be easy street or something here, but I don't think that taming should be a constant skill gain/fear of death struggle.

I feel like I am whining and being belligerent here. It's just in it's current form it's so tedious and frustrating? None of the other archetypes have embedded penetrates this severe from death. And while I realize Meta pets are much more powerful in certain situations it's not by that much anymore, yet tamers have to spend exponentially more and invest a lot more time.

Hydro's idea is a good one. I wouldn't mind a 15 minute half penalty with a buyout nearly as much. That sounds like a dream by comparison. Or even allow our pets to get back to max skills over time while stabled? Just tired of things happening like losing connection or crashing, and having it cost me multiple days worth of play to recover from that just to get my skills back up.

Adramelech

Master
I imagine at the root of it this mechanic was included as a way to keep tamer income in check. That was part of the reason for the cost for meta stones, and the drop rate for dragon eggs and meta relics making the prices incredibly high. And then by making an constant steam of financial requirements through skill scroll purchases and dono for crystal charges. It killed a lot of tamer gold on the server when meta pets were launched.

But at this point I have invested over 40 million gold into my personal meta. It is going to take an absurdly long time for me to regain that amount of income. I just don't think the skill loss/regain setup in it's current form is right.

steve-o

Grandmaster
tell me who you are in game and ill make sure to get your pet everytime i see it

atleast you will have a real reason to cry about skill loss

Swayze

Grandmaster
so give pet temp 50% skill loss for 15m that can be bought out

bam you have a reason to keep your pet alive and but its not fucking perma money sink that i already spent all my $ on

take look at this troll event currently i took my pet first day when rock spam was real and pet died a lot..now my meta is pretty much trashed till i get my 120 taming and 120 lore so i can evo to lvl 7

This is a pretty good idea. Maybe even make it 30 mins.