Public Container Access Level

Amalgam

Journeyman
A simple and harmless suggestion:

Give players the choice to stash items in public containers at their own risk. They are currently useless and it's a bit of a waste.

Alternatively, these currently useless containers could one day be given an opportunity to randomly spawn some contents?

This might be part of a greater attempt to just give players more of an excuse to click on things. It enhances a players ability (and willingness) to interact with his environment. I for one wouldn't mind carefully stashing a few items then perhaps leaving some clues...

Historically, having unmanaged public access to containers would lead to clutter and longer saving times. The impact nowadays is comparatively negligible - and they could all effectively exist as trashcans in some form - just with a different (much longer) decay timer.

This also opens future potential options for further development. Certain containers could be made to act as triggers for unknown / unannounced action potentials if, say, a particular item, or combination of items, were to find their way inside...

Either way, my suggestion: remove the block for a while and see how it goes?

(Some unique items may be stashed by someone...)

Amalgam

Journeyman
I want to hide a mil check somewhere. Perhaps the coinage instead.... I know its only pocket change nowadays but it might help some perceptive noob who actually bothers to click on things.

Containers are wasted, unused, useless. Change this please.

Give me, or some other random, a reason to go out to places and hide stuff and... do things... with my overwhelming amount of worldly possessions which I may or may not be about to renounce.

(Let players trap and lock also, because why not?)

Skrypt

Expert
@Amalgam I'd like to support this for the emergent gameplay it allows....

However I'm pretty sure the additional item save requirement to the server would discourage @eppy from implementing.

Unless perhaps there was also an expiration timer (48 hours?) that would clear items from the public access containers to prevent excess or abusive item buildup.

Amalgam

Journeyman
@Skrypt It's surely worth a try, don't you think?

I have a sneaky feeling that the maximum added length to the savetime will be almost negligible. I believe it could be accommodated without issue, especially in this day and age.

@eppy Might this be a worthy experiment on test server? Simulate load and fill all public containers to 125 and see how much the savetime changes.

Factor in a suitable decay timer and an 'estimated utilization rate' of public containers and the result might be very reasonable.

LET US STASH STUFF!