Punishment for the crime JAIL

bane

Master
@bin Laden

I like the idea. At the end of the day stat loss provides two things:
  • Takes a PK out of commission so they are not murdering blues for some amount of time
  • Provides the extra risk to balance out the risk v reward equation for Reds.
Jail for the same amount of time as the stat loss would provide both of these things and it makes it more fun for the PK which isn't a bad thing. You could even allow them access to the duel pits from jail or do a Roman Colosseum type thing where people can sign up to fight the prisoner scum.

There are some things the red character should not be able to do from jail:
  • Craft anything
  • Generate gold or create items in any way
  • Talk in Alliance, guild or party chat (hey they are in jail)

I am not sure if this is on the server but they should implement some kind of perma red system. Maybe have a new type of murder count, lifetime counts, that never decay and if you get too many you go Red permanently. These lifetime counts wouldn't be used for stat loss calculations though and you could only clear them with the murder reset deed. Also the player shouldn't have any commands that let them know how many lifetime counts they accumulated. Would eventually fix the blue PK issue.

TLDR/Disclaimer
I have no PK or PvP characters currently. I am also horrible at PvP and am generally in favor of harsh penalties for PKs. But those penalties are needed in order for a PK to have a downside not because the player that likes that play style needs to be punished. So this idea will accomplish the downside and PK mitigation without punishing the player.

K A Z

Grandmaster
@bin Laden

I like the idea. At the end of the day stat loss provides two things:
  • Takes a PK out of commission so they are not murdering blues for some amount of time
  • Provides the extra risk to balance out the risk v reward equation for Reds.
Jail for the same amount of time as the stat loss would provide both of these things and it makes it more fun for the PK which isn't a bad thing. You could even allow them access to the duel pits from jail or do a Roman Colosseum type thing where people can sign up to fight the prisoner scum.

There are some things the red character should not be able to do from jail:
  • Craft anything
  • Generate gold or create items in any way
  • Talk in Alliance, guild or party chat (hey they are in jail)

I am not sure if this is on the server but they should implement some kind of perma red system. Maybe have a new type of murder count, lifetime counts, that never decay and if you get too many you go Red permanently. These lifetime counts wouldn't be used for stat loss calculations though and you could only clear them with the murder reset deed. Also the player shouldn't have any commands that let them know how many lifetime counts they accumulated. Would eventually fix the blue PK issue.

TLDR/Disclaimer
I have no PK or PvP characters currently. I am also horrible at PvP and am generally in favor of harsh penalties for PKs. But those penalties are needed in order for a PK to have a downside not because the player that likes that play style needs to be punished. So this idea will accomplish the downside and PK mitigation without punishing the player.

I didn't read your whole post but man.. I'll defianetly supply my bredrins behind bars with some puff and a mobile.

besttherewas

Grandmaster
There are almost no reds anyways.

most blues instant stat the reds they gank because they're emotional women with hormone deficiencies.

Even blue factioners do it every time, even tho the reds fight outnumbered, yet the blues never do.

I think a few dungeons should have no stat and alot of the normal world to promote pvp.

TraJik

Grandmaster
I have just accepted statloss over the years. Your idea does sound fun. As long as pks cant go around unchecked then it would be fine. Basically you have to ask yourself, do you want the reds to logg, or the blues? I would rather have the reds logg off because they got statted after going on a killing spree, then see blues logging because they can't enter a dungeon without seeing a pk every 5 minutes. If pking went unchecked then pking would just be insane. Everyone would do it including myself. I realize your idea does in fact involve a punishment scenario where the reds get to "Serve time" away from the blues farming so I think it could work. On top of this it would allow for murderers to make new enemies that jump then upon entering jail. Haha, the more I think about it, it really sounds freaking awesome.

TraJik

Grandmaster

most blues instant stat the reds they gank because they're emotional women with hormone deficiencies.

Even blue factioners do it every time, even tho the reds fight outnumbered, yet the blues never do.

I think a few dungeons should have no stat and alot of the normal world to promote pvp.

Statloss free dungeon to promote Pvp? I don't like it. We have a pvp dungeon in Khaldun. I only stat guys so I can take them out of the dungeon for a bit and I can farm in peace without having to fight the guy again. When I don't stat, the guys come right back and take me out of what I'm doing so that I have to fight them again. It is just too tedious to keep fighting the same pk when you can just end his fun in one move. No offense but when i'm farming and someone takes me out of my business of farming then they are costing me time and money fooling with them. I stat them so that they then lose time, and are unable to continue with their gameplan. It is a fair trade imo. You waste my time, I waste yours.

bane

Master

If you can't handle statloss and the extra risk it provides then you aren't good enough to be red.

Also khaldun is already a no statloss dungeon I believe.

gofer

Grandmaster
First ...

...shortened

Now instead of statloss all murders who have their heads turned in get sent to JAIL. and serve their time. In jail you are given jail clothes, no mount, you can still use ur bank, skills, spells but you cannot escape. Throw all the murders and thieves into jail and let them ress/kill, greif and troll each other all day long.
This way all the blues are safe for a set time and the reds can still do what they do. Hell some reds might even like it in jail and form gangs and hierarchies. Can you imagine that... a prison full of murders greifing each other.. HELL YEAH

dont like trammel? check out uo forever!
what are your thoughts

True story: the Aryan Brotherhood began in a CA state prison with the Caucasians joining forces to combat the African descent + Hispanic populations in the prison. This was in large part due to the prisons becoming desegregated.

Netty

Neophyte
So many wrong views on pk's, pvping and statloss. Firstly though the jail system is a good idea but the vast majority of pk's dont want to fight other people that want to fight so most won't like the idea :)

Would like to add quickly that being red doesn't make you cool so lets drop that ego bullshit down that comes with it (trammy blue noobs, faction pussies.. whatever most reds like to call proper players) and being a PK is not true PvP, it may aswell be PvE'ing an ettin sometimes as the innocent is useually always at a disadvantage and poses no threat to the pk.

So, statloss is absolutely needed with no jail system, its a punishment to try make people who think "im going to kill that innocent player and force them into non consensual pvp" to maybe rethink it or deal with the consequences for being a murderer. Without any everyone would just constantly be attacking weaker players and it would very quickly kill the game, the weaker players would leave, then the pks would soon follow as there is no one to pk.

Now statloss does kind of suck in a way that a character becomes unplayable but here you dont even need to be logged in to get rid of it. Putting them into a jail kind of system would be good because they could then carry on doing what they "supposedly" love doing which is pvp against others in the jail.

Kaz's idea of just applying statloss to dungeons is also a good idea but i would like to add that a character will need to stay logged in to remove this lower form of statloss to stop that player from just logging on another pk.

*Sits back and waits for some ignorant flames*

Kiki

Grandmaster
I'm actually at a loss hearing the griping in here about reds/PK's/PVP.

First of all, PK stands for "Player Killer." Not "consensual pit duel trophy champion of December 2013."

Killer.

This game was built on the ability to murder other people. It gave people the ability to fight one another in any way they saw fit, and gave others the ability to try to kill or avoid those people. People didn't sign up in the beginning of UO knowing it was going to be like, but the first time a real person started chasing them and attacking them I guarantee no other game had given them the rush of that one moment.

Put a red to jail so they have to work off a murder count? That is one less player able to play how they want to play the game. They may as well just fuck off and go play COD while their char sits there. That's bad for the server.

48 hour stat loss? Why not give blues a stat loss if they attack a red first and die? That blue wouldn't be able to have PVP outside of factions if it wasn't for someone going full commitment and becoming a red. Long stat loss is bad for the server.

Too many PK's? No. Not enough people willing to man up and take the game to the PK's? Yeah.

Killing mobs without having to worry about someone else killing you is more your style you say? Then why play a game from the 90's built on PVP, on a server that expressly has no "no PK" zones?

It's because we like the rush. We like the sweaty palms of a fight, we like raging at the screen when you had someone redlined but they landed the last hit before you could heal, and we like looking at the screen with our arms raised after seeing someone take a dirt nap.

This is fuckin UO man.

Poon Doctor

Master
Instead of a jail, what about a dungeon where the reds play as mobs for the duration of stat loss, maybe you could even progress to stronger mobs as you killed or completed some objective

Kiki

Grandmaster
So
Instead of a jail, what about a dungeon where the reds play as mobs for the duration of stat loss, maybe you could even progress to stronger mobs as you killed or completed some objective

Just to clarify, you want the penalty for killing people as a character to be the ability to kill people as a mob?

Poon Doctor

Master
In a newly created dungeon of some sort..

To elaborate a bit...

Turn them all into orcs and in an orc dungeon where they can fight players who choose to come fight them. Should you kill a player you could maybe advance to orc lord, then orc mage.

It would at least kill the time of stat loss and provide some pvp, pvm variety. IDK just throwing some ideas out on the chalk board.

Kiki

Grandmaster
PK's are already playing the game the way they want to. Why take it away from them to make them have to log in and play the way you want them to?

We're playing a game from the 90's people. Not because its the only game made, but because its the best game made. This server is the best there is for this game. We don't need to keep changing it.

Forgos

Neophyte
I think the penalty for PKing and proper PVP, which usually means turning red at some point, is too high. The jail system is a good concept but why not make it an actual place on the top layer map that can be broken into and free the reds inside from Jail? Anti-PKs and Factioners can then attempt to keep people from breaking out reds in an area control/king of the hill style game. Eventually the seige on the jail will suceed and all current reds that are jailed are released back into the world with no statloss.

Poon Doctor

Master
I'm just throwing out an option for those in stat loss, instead of logging to play a different game.

I personally prefer original stat loss and murder decay of 40 hours over this.... but this customized system isn't too bad.

Chicago

Journeyman
I think the idea of JAIL is awesome over stat loss. Makes it a truer experience with better risk vs reward consequences. The pk would totally be out of commission from killing / griefing blues. Guilds may even choose to follow their fellow team mate into this penalty box to "rule the jail". Sounds like a win-win to me.

besttherewas

Grandmaster
Reds create more pvp than factions, yet they get raped for 48 hours upon death.

Seriously I see more bullshit from blue pvpers/factioners than reds. Maybe cause there are bugger all reds?

The last few ideas, espec the monster orc one are ********. Can players who dont pvp not comment.

Bromista

Grandmaster
Reds create more pvp than factions, yet they get raped for 48 hours upon death.

Seriously I see more bullshit from blue pvpers/factioners than reds. Maybe cause there are bugger all reds?

The last few ideas, espec the monster orc one are ********. Can players who dont pvp not comment.
SWEET INPUT BRAH!

As to the ideas presented in this thread: bonus points for creativity but generally that means ideas that will not be implemented.

I really don't think anything needs to be done for players who are in stat because they should have other characters to fall back on at all times and an entire world of stuff to do....craft, PvM, PvP on blues, gamble.

I think ideas like those suggested are best left to events and one-off occurences.