PvP Balance - A Modest Proposal

Bobby123

Grandmaster
the talisman bonus doesnt but quench and remedy will still work for firebreath or poison bite from pets.

You are wrong about this .

lvl 10 defense talisman takes 35% less damage from pets melee and magic attacks . Used to be 50% but staff change it due to too many complaints

Streets

Grandmaster
BTW disable talisman in pvp will change nothing if blues don't grow e-brain and e-balls, more or less 10 arch deamon ago when my red appears in the room no less than 10 blues with shiny blaze item full talisman 100m bank balance runned away in the middle of tentacles INSTEAD killing me, the only one blue that stopped to attack arch to attack me was basically a new users of City of Avalon guild.

Guys remember: Fun > Pixel

While I don't disagree with you here the problem is pvm'ers have been force fed the concept pvpers are to good to fight your only chance of survival is recall macro or run. Or that "that's a pvm build you are not supposed to survive agenst a pk". Or even "archery is not a PvP skill it's for pvm that's the trade off"

I used archery as an example because I am 100% confident I'm not killing a red with this combat skill. They will run off, can heal while running (I can't shoot though), mitigate it with armor, etc. the best case senario is I can be annoying to the pk which will just put me on top of the targeting list to kill.

The point is pvm'ers are at a disadvantage as well as taught early on not to even bother trying to fight. They got those millions of gold by running off (I am sure there are exceptions) and they are just doing what we have done in the past or have been told to do.

BTW disable talisman in pvp will change nothing if blues don't grow e-brain and e-balls, more or less 10 arch deamon ago when my red appears in the room no less than 10 blues with shiny blaze item full talisman 100m bank balance runned away in the middle of tentacles INSTEAD killing me, the only one blue that stopped to attack arch to attack me was basically a new users of City of Avalon guild.

Guys remember: Fun > Pixel

City pride, even our noobiest noobs should try to put up a fight =D

StegcO

Grandmaster
https://www.uoforum.com/posts/729236/

Even by your own accord you tell people to just run...

When a single ProvoArcher ask me how to survive in covetous lvl 1 against a solo/group pk obviously recalling away needs to be first try.

Here in this thread I'm talking about all others pvm/pvp scenario like arch deamon (actually the most hard scenario for pks) defending champions spawn fields fight ecc

I dont give a fuck if a single blue fight back asolo pk or not, i care about big fights scenario

Streets

Grandmaster
When a single ProvoArcher ask me how to survive in covetous lvl 1 against a solo/group pk obviously recalling away needs to be first try.

Here in this thread I'm talking about all others pvm/pvp scenario like arch deamon (actually the most hard scenario for pks) defending champions spawn fields fight ecc

I dont give a fuck if a single blue fight back asolo pk or not, i care about big fights scenario

I get that but you have people now trained to react when they see a red it's more of a reaction than a thought.

The thing is reds go in fully knowing what is about to happen, blues go in hoping for the best. They are not prepared for PvP they went in planning for a monster fight.

I am not disagreeing with you or arguing the point. What I am stating is why people are so likely to flee or why they get massacred.

AreYouKidden

Grandmaster
I'm not sure how anyone can legitimately, with an unbiased opinion, be on the side of an argument saying that the defense talisman should retain it's bonuses to PvP. The ONLY argument I've seen so far is, we've put our heart and soul into grinding out this advantage, it can't go away. It has always been advertised as a PvM bonus only - and if you bought, and leveled it for the advantages in PvP, then consider it a bonus that you've kept it this long. But that's on you, not on UOF.

This advantage has to be removed, it's been said it could be tied to the combat flag (similar to recalling), if you attack, it disables your relic for 2 min, if you are the defender, you keep your relic, until you attack back, at which point yours is also disabled for 2 min. Resets on consecutive attacks, just like it does for recalling away.

I think the only thing to be discussed is how you roll it out - for those who have this stuck on a red character, I feel for you, and I think there should be some way for a 1 time transfer, within 2 weeks of the change, off a red char, to a blue char on the account.

toddyboi

Master
I witnessed a factioner use some weird relic to teleport/cut off another faction in destard...now can you actually choose when to teleport or is it random?

AreYouKidden

Grandmaster
except if you are grey/criminal

Doesn't matter grey/crim, if you are attacked, keep your relics active, until such a time as you attack back. I don't see any reason to do it in any other way.. a runner will have an advantage, but they weren't looking to fight anyways, only to run.. a PvP'r who is fighting back won't get that advantage.

Last edited:

Young Star

Grandmaster
I witnessed a factioner use some weird relic to teleport/cut off another faction in destard...now can you actually choose when to teleport or is it random?
If phase shift is not in cooldown you can control when it goes off by simply attacking any mob at least 8 tiles away.

Doesn't matter grey/crim, if you are attacked, keep your relics active, until such a time as you attack back. I don't see any reason to do it in any other way.. a runner will have an advantage, but they weren't looking to fight anyways, only to run.. a PvP'r who is fighting back won't.

The combat timer is 30 seconds. It should remain independent of the 2min criminal timer. That seems like a reasonable cooldown for relics anytime you are aggroing someone else to have your relics and talisman go inactive. You could take it a step further with Militia/Factioners and have it turn off in any combat situation with another militia/factioner.

Last edited:

StegcO

Grandmaster
Doesn't matter grey/crim, if you are attacked, keep your relics active, until such a time as you attack back. I don't see any reason to do it in any other way.. a runner will have an advantage, but they weren't looking to fight anyways, only to run.. a PvP'r who is fighting back won't get that advantage.

if you loot a relic/ps from a body (char/mob) you will become grey but still able to phase shift away

AreYouKidden

Grandmaster
That's a fair point Stegco - I could get behind it disabling on crim timer - but not just if you are grey/red.. if you actually perform a nefarious action.

K A Z

Grandmaster

Genocide Pete has a new script that automatically attacks mobs in his 8 tile reach to phase shift away.. its so dumb, really!

Streets

Grandmaster
I'm not sure how anyone can legitimately, with an unbiased opinion, be on the side of an argument saying that the defense talisman should retain it's bonuses to PvP. The ONLY argument I've seen so far is, we've put our heart and soul into grinding out this advantage, it can't go away. It has always been advertised as a PvM bonus only - and if you bought, and leveled it for the advantages in PvP, then consider it a bonus that you've kept it this long. But that's on you, not on UOF.

This advantage has to be removed, it's been said it could be tied to the combat flag (similar to recalling), if you attack, it disables your relic for 2 min, if you are the defender, you keep your relic, until you attack back, at which point yours is also disabled for 2 min. Resets on consecutive attacks, just like it does for recalling away.

I think the only thing to be discussed is how you roll it out - for those who have this stuck on a red character, I feel for you, and I think there should be some way for a 1 time transfer, within 2 weeks of the change, off a red char, to a blue char on the account.

I have to agree here it's a crappy situation. And I am glad I don't have to be the one to figure out a fix lol.

You have issues on several sides.

1) if you don't take the advantage away you alienate those who chose other talismans, the community you told it was designed for pvm only, as well as the people that have this used agenst them in combat.

2) if you do turn it off you alienate people that do have it took the time to grind it however far it is (weather right or wrong it is a huge time sink)

3) you can try to balance it out with other game mechanics but doing so is a hit to people that legitimately used it for it's purpose.

Honestly it's a bad situation no matter what but I agree as much as I hate being murdered this is not right. You really can't allow all relics to effect PvP either.

Lord and Savior

Apprentice
Everyone who has a maxed defense talisman has put in hundreds of hours of hard work with an expectation of certain mechanics. To suddenly change it to become useless in Champ PvP scenarios would make it mostly useless - all of the other talismans are better at getting champ score and are easier to level. I'm sure a lot of people would quit the game if your proposed changes happened.
It was never supposed to be used in pvp anyways.

Wah.

Streets

Grandmaster

Wah.

While true I wont go as far as the "wah" but you can easily have more than 1 talisman the quest is repeatable right?

The point being is yes it was intended for pvm if you got it with intentions of using it for PvP that's not the developers fault by any means.

shirtandpantsman

Grandmaster

Wah.

I would be ok with only phase shift being disabled on pvp, leave everything else still turned on with the talisman

why should people fending off pks at a champ spawn or event have their pvm damage and abilities gimped while all the scaredy cats are in the back wailing on the champ with their active talisman?