PvP Solution - Battleground?

Winstonian

Grandmaster
One thing I've noticed on this shard is that players tend to want to PvP after PvPing: the duel pits are extremely active after an event.

My suggestion is this: why not have an area where players can drop in and openly PvP?

- Players can form groups, fight as a guild, or solo.
- Looting is not allowed: once a player dies, they are teleported out and must wait X amount of minutes before reentering.
- Stealing is allowed, but stolen items return to the owner once the thief dies.
- No mounts.
- Anything goes.
- A displayed timer will start when a group, guild or player is the last one standing, and will continue until they are killed.
- Pets disappear from the field once their owner is killed.

Yes, a portion of the players here will be infuriated that they cannot gank and loot others, but I feel that this setting provides a number of benefits:

1. Players will enjoy PvPing.
2. Players will join with random players to overtake another group, which would encourage teamwork and possibly lead to guilds forming/recruiting.
3. Players can test various builds and strategies, possibly adding variety to the shard.
4. By PvPing here, players will be more inclined to play in factions, where their kills will be rewarded.
5. Even casual players will enjoy one of the best aspects of this game.
6. New/old players can gain PvP practice.

I think this would be outstanding for this shard, and would generate a lot of interest.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Winstonian

Grandmaster
wait.. are you suggesting trammel?
Is this a serious response?

I'm guessing your also opposed to the duel pits and staff-run events, right? (Nope... you participate.). After all, it's the same premise here.

Nowhere did I state that players would be able to farm, gather and craft without risk. It's only for PvP, where kills aren't rewarded, reds aren't statted, and players can't gain loot by killing someone.

Players like you need to start taking a big picture approach to this shard. You want more enemies. We all want more shard growth. The shard is often at its busiest when events are being held: something like this would be a huge selling point for players considering this shard over others.

Gore

Adept
People just need to take the initiative and form their own groups. It's VERY simple to ask someone if they have skye and than start a call with them. Make forum posts, talk to people on IRC, or just meet people in game. Form groups and participate in factions... you will have lots of fun.

Malkraven

Grandmaster
Alot of people play here cos you can kill someone take his stuff cut up his clothes and res kill him 5 times. this is what gives pvp here so much meaning. Take wow for example you go in kill loads people finish the BG and dont even remember the peoples names your have fought cos they mean nothing they may aswell be bots.

its the the ability to do such bad stuff or take revenge on people that do bad stuff that keep UO great

Fenix

Journeyman
If you PvP you should be ready to die, get a rez, and lose your shit...period. Thats just how i feel about that. Making any type of PvP that is instanced will not only take away from the active population PvP'ing the good ol' sandbox way, but it will also dull the excitement that makes the PvP in this game so legendary among MMOs. Just my 2 cents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Winstonian

Grandmaster
People just need to take the initiative and form their own groups. It's VERY simple to ask someone if they have skye and than start a call with them. Make forum posts, talk to people on IRC, or just meet people in game. Form groups and participate in factions... you will have lots of fun.
Yes. Sync drops from a plethora of stun mages. Field PvP on UOF is loads of fun.

Fenix

Journeyman
Yes. Sync drops from a plethora of stun mages. Field PvP on UOF is loads of fun.

It is fun, takes teamwork, and promotes the social aspect of the game. Also, what you're talking about "not being fun" is basically why servers like this are still around. Everyone I've talked to that hasn't played UO and knows something about it (and isn't a total noob) knows UO for having strong PvP elements.

Winstonian

Grandmaster
It is fun, takes teamwork, and promotes the social aspect of the game. Also, what you're talking about "not being fun" is basically why servers like this are still around. Everyone I've talked to that hasn't played UO and knows something about it (and isn't a total noob) knows UO for having strong PvP elements.

Why is this "fun" and "social aspect of the game" practically dead on this shard, while there are droves of reds who prefer to spend their time killing, and res killing, PvMers?

K A Z

Grandmaster
places like this take away from the actual open field pvp. And don't mention the duelpits again. Places like that are COMPLETLY diffrent from what you've suggested here. Apparently, you can't take any kind of criticism it seems.

Winstonian

Grandmaster
places like this take away from the actual open field pvp. And don't mention the duelpits again. Places like that are COMPLETLY diffrent from what you've suggested here. Apparently, you can't take any kind of criticism it seems.
So, fighting 1v1, without the risk of interference and looting, is "completely different" than fighting group v group, without the risk of looting?

Is that why the majority of faction chars refuse to participate in staff-run events in favor of not factioning?

Fenix

Journeyman
Why is this "fun" and "social aspect of the game" practically dead on this shard, while there are droves of reds who prefer to spend their time killing, and res killing, PvMers?

Cause from what it seems like to me, most of the people who played this game at a high level have (mostly) seemingly departed the UO scene

Winstonian

Grandmaster
Back in the day, Test Center was a huge deal. Sure, you were handed gear and given all skills at GM, but players joined - and PvPed - constantly. Looting didn't matter. It was just chaos and fun.

Factions will still attract self-proclaimed "hardcore" PvPers, but another system (without rewards) focused solely on fighting would be great for UOF.

Fenix

Journeyman
I agree another system could surely stimulate the masses, I just think an instanced fighting area is not the answer. I am, however, excited to see how t2a turns out if they implement it.

Winstonian

Grandmaster
I agree another system could surely stimulate the masses, I just think an instanced fighting area is not the answer. I am, however, excited to see how t2a turns out if they implement it.

Very true. I thought T2A was vanilla, which is why I joined this shard in the first place, but PvP here is far more vanilla than T2A rules. Looking forward to the T2A rules.

Dwyane Wade

Grandmaster
Back in the day, Test Center was a huge deal. Sure, you were handed gear and given all skills at GM, but players joined - and PvPed - constantly. Looting didn't matter. It was just chaos and fun.

Factions will still attract self-proclaimed "hardcore" PvPers, but another system (without rewards) focused solely on fighting would be great for UOF.

Man I remember back in the day when Test Center would reset once a week. I went crazy that first day to place a Brit GY house. The pvp then was amazing! But than again, nothing really compares to back in the day

Winstonian

Grandmaster
Man I remember back in the day when Test Center would reset once a week. I went crazy that first day to place a Brit GY house. The pvp then was amazing! But than again, nothing really compares to back in the day
Absolutely! The PvP then was ridiculous.

The other time that PvP was incredible was during server wars. Just as with Test Center, it wasn't about looting, but simply about fighting. Massive fights.

We only get that here when the staff host events. It would be incredible for the server to have it as an option on a regular basis.