Recoil Relix Explained

kurtis

Grandmaster
LoL I typoed the title. How to edit?

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
This information is written as of 4/13/15. Please keep in mind that adjustments are constantly made to these relics so you should update yourself.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

As we all know, the dexxer relic explanations are vague and it's up to the player-base to figure out the intricacies of how they function. This is what we were given to work with by staff: "Recoil - every 30 seconds there is a 25% chance to turn an opponent's attack onto him."

I have a level 10 Recoil relic and I logged some data along the way, so I figured I would share what I know. And from there you all are in a better position to decide whether this is a relic you want to apply.

Please note that I make some assumptions here that lend themselves to the results I saw. It might be the case that my assumptions are wrong and there are actually other explanations/mechanisms that lead to the same results. Either way, you should find this useful. And please feel free to add missing gaps, as there are definitely gaps.

How to Level:
  • You level this by getting physically hit by mobs and having the relic "activate."
  • It's unclear to me whether activation from higher level mobs increases XP gained. HOWEVER, now that the relics have XP numbers attached to them, perhaps someone else can answer this question. I cannot because my relic is already maxed.

Function:
  • When this relic activates, it returns 2x base damage to the monster who attacked you. One of the keywords there is "base damage" (which I will get too shortly).
  • You still take the damage!!!! It just returns 2x of the base damage you received back to the mob.
  • This only activates on physical damage. Magic damage is not recoiled and will not activate it.
  • Damage return to the mobs did not scale with higher levels. It is always 2x base damage return, even at level 10.
  • Base damage. The reason I used the word base damage was because I noticed that the mobs would always return exactly 2x damage if I was naked with zero AR. This was true at level 1 and at level 10. However, when I put on armor, I noticed that sometimes it randomly returns 2.5x or 3x or 3.5x or even 4x. So what I assume is going on here is that the mob does a base damage to you, then it returns 2x of that base damage back to the mob, then your armor reduces the appropriate amount of damage from that base damage and you receive a reduced damage calculation. Another reason I believe that it works this way is because I averaged the damage that was recoiled back onto the mobs both when I wore zero armor and then while wearing 100 armor, and on average they received almost the exact same damage return regardless of whether or not I was wearing armor.

Cooldown:
  • Level 1 starts with a 30 second cooldown.
  • Each level appears to reduce the cooldown by 1 second.
  • So at level 10 the cooldown is down to about 20 seconds.
  • This appears to be the only benefit to having a higher level - the lower cooldown.

Percentage to Activate:

• This relic has a 25% chance to activate.
  • I did not notice any increase in likelihood of activation the higher I leveled. But this is just my gut feel. I didn't sit down and try to average out percentages. Please feel free to share your knowledge here and I will edit this post.

Conclusions:

Overall disappointed with the way this leveled. Since there is no damage reduction, this is not so much a "defensive" talisman that helps you survive because you are still taking the damage. It's more of a way to get in some extra damage back to the mob. But if you are properly geared with a slayer, the damage return is not significant compared to the damage you are doing on your slayer weapon. In fact, it seemed almost unnoticeable at times. Also, a lot of the scary damage you are taking is in the form of magic damage, which this relic does not recoil.

Given that there is no damage reduction to the player, nor is there increased damage return with greater levels, the difference between levels is not great. A 20 second cooldown versus a 30 second cooldown is just "meh." You won't notice it.

Issues to resolve:
  1. The difference between level 1 and level 10 is hardly noticeable.
  2. Even at level 10, the relic benefits are weak in practice (though seemingly good on paper, which is why I applied this first).

Suggested Improvements:
  • Scale up damage recoiled with level. At level 1 it returns 2x base damage. Every level should give an additional increase of 0.25x base damage recoiled. So at level 10 it returns 4.25x damage. I know this sounds like a lot but trust me it isn't. Most of your harsh damage take is magic. Not many mobs do heavy physical damage, and the ones that do are beastly and we definitely need help taking them down quicker.
  • Reduce cooldown by more as level increases. Have the cooldown reduced 1.5 seconds for every level. The reality is that this relic is most effective against big nasty mobs that do enough physical damage to make the Recoil actually mean something. It's basically worthless against anything less than dragons. But even against those mobs, you are only getting 1 recoil, maybe 2 if its a longer battle. It would be nice to get in 2-4 recoils against these tough mobs. Otherwise, it's just not helping that much.

Last edited by a moderator:

asics

Grandmaster
@eppy

(is correct the staff name user is "eppy" righ?)

nx for the suggestion..but now i have a problem, my metadexxer is lvl1 and i started with this relic..can we switch relic without losing them? im not asking to change for me\us , but at least a switch?:) i can remove relic off my char?