Revamping UOF Fighting/PvP Mechanics

Blair

Master
Not only would slow weapons see a spike in use in the field, but players would potentially build around the halberd. With a 100% hit chance, halberds would see far more use in both PvM and PvP.

So let me understand this correctly. You're saying that even though halberds hit for 50+ damage, and also deal concussion blows that essentially make it impossible for a mage to kill you, they aren't a good weapon? They need to hit 100% of time time as well? So you want to 2 hit kill people non stop and think its balanced, even though it has no counter play? Oh, ok.

I feel like you haven't even PvP'd on this server at all. There are a ton of viable templates. I don't play a poison dexer, or an alchy mage. I have 0 problems competing in PvP.

Winstonian

Grandmaster
So let me understand this correctly. You're saying that even though halberds hit for 50+ damage, and also deal concussion blows that essentially make it impossible for a mage to kill you, they aren't a good weapon? They need to hit 100% of time time as well? So you want to 2 hit kill people non stop and think its balanced, even though it has no counter play? Oh, ok.

I feel like you haven't even PvP'd on this server at all. There are a ton of viable templates. I don't play a poison dexer, or an alchy mage. I have 0 problems competing in PvP.
I mean, right. Hallys are completely OP as it is. And, yet, are never seen anywhere on the field. There's a reason for that: missing with a 3.25 sbs weapon is a duel-ender, and those misses happen frequently.

That's my point: the clear majority of builds seen in PvP are those two. If a player is running a dexer in PvP, it's most often a poison dexer. It's not even close.

What percentage of mages have stun on their template? What percentage of dexers run with DP weps? The answers to those questions show that there's a clear lack of top-tier options. If that's the intent... if the staff is good with that being the way it is... so be it. That's fine. If that's the intent, I have no issue with it. I'm just wondering if that's the way UOF PvP is intended.

Blair

Master
The point is that people will play whatever template they like to play. If a lot of people like to play a poison dexer, you will see a lot of poison dexers. It doesn't mean it's the best, or that it's the only viable template, just that more people like that play style. I hope that clears it up for you.

Winstonian

Grandmaster
The point is that people will play whatever template they like to play. If a lot of people like to play a poison dexer, you will see a lot of poison dexers. It doesn't mean it's the best, or that it's the only viable template, just that more people like that play style. I hope that clears it up for you.
A lot of people play it because it's both extremely strong and easy to play. That's why people play it. It's not because their fathers were poison dexers, or because it holds some bullshit sentimental value... it's easy and it gets kills. Period.

Kilike

Grandmaster
Won't happen. No one here likes dexxers, and everyone views them as to strong, for any qol buffs.

Sadly

Sent from my SM-G900P

K A Z

Grandmaster
Seriously? You'd rather they implement something that you feel would be bad for PvP before they tweak skills to try to create more build diversity?

Think about how that sounds.

those things have been in UO before.. adding new weird bonus to other skills means unbalancing

K A Z

Grandmaster
... point? What does you preferring maces have to do with the fact that the majority of dexers use DP in PvP?

That's simply not true.. Most dexxers out there use 2 handed weapons because you can throw pots while wielding them... most would be macers, followed up by fencers with spears.

K A Z

Grandmaster
On this freeshard? A freeshard with a test center and active staff?

[QUOTE="Shane, post: 563126, member: 10109"

The funny thing about PvP is everyone has their own idea about it.

/QUOTE]

but yes, also on this Freeshard. It took UOF 3 years now to get a somewhat enjoyable PVP system in place - it'd take another 10 years to balance any MAJOR changes to how things work. It'd also move UOF even further away from what UO originally was... I don't think that your ideas of "changing up" are bad in their roots, but I do think that they're very ambitious and that there is little to no interest in the general community to open pandora's box.

Winstonian

Grandmaster
[QUOTE="Shane, post: 563126, member: 10109"

The funny thing about PvP is everyone has their own idea about it.

/QUOTE]

but yes, also on this Freeshard. It took UOF 3 years now to get a somewhat enjoyable PVP system in place - it'd take another 10 years to balance any MAJOR changes to how things work. It'd also move UOF even further away from what UO originally was... I don't think that your ideas of "changing up" are bad in their roots, but I do think that they're very ambitious and that there is little to no interest in the general community to open pandora's box.
Perfect. That was the purpose for this thread: instead of posting numerous suggestion threads, I wanted to get a feel from the staff if there was actually an interest in improving and diversifying PvP. If there isn't, so be it. I wont PvP, but there's plenty of other things to do, and I'll happily do those things (until I find a game that has PvP I like).

Defari

Adept
I think he's getting at the lack of variety. I think that's a serious issue - not for UO:F, but for UO:R, which the server is modeled after.

I don't think homogenity was one of the hallmarks of UO:R. Early UO was a pioneer game, and it had a lot of variety for its time. Things have changed a lot since then. Moreover, we know a lot more about the effects of certain types of changes. The number of viable builds could definitely be expanded (new skills, new inter-skill interactions like what you did with defensive wrestle, or a greater number of special moves)

MZ3K - I see you're a Philosophy Professor... Given this, I think you understand that if Aristotle were alive today, he would play a Stun Mage here on UOF.