Rules: and Eliminating Gray areas

Tyllany

Apprentice
This rule from my research through the forums has become very vague so I would like to try and gather from the veterans more information regarding the actual meaning and how it is actually interpreted in game.

-There may be NO multi-clienting in Player VS Player (PvP) scenarios. Using more than one account to pvp simultaneously will result is severe punishment!

Moderator Fatality Said:
  1. Multi-client PVP here is defined as one player using two or more clients to attack a target simultaneously.

So here are some scenarios, against the rules, or not?

If you are attempting to murder a player can you

---------------------------
STAFF Verified:
---------------------------
- Assist by gating - Legal
- assist by healing - Illegal
- assist by peacemaking- illegal
- assist by curing - Illegal
- assist by throwing explosion potions- Illegal
- assist by casting walls to block paths - illegal
- assist by standing in the way - Circumstance
* if they are moving in the way at the same of the other client attacking - Illegal.
- assist by dropping items to block a path- illegal
* if they are blocking whole path - illegal
* if they are dropping the boxes on one client and still attacking on the other - illegal
- assist by luring mobs into area - Circumstance
* if they are doing it the same time of the attacks on the other client - illegal
- assist by releasing tamed, aggro, creatures in area
* if they are doing it the same time of the attacks on the other client - illegal
* if they are releasing tames in a dungeon. Which is covered in another rule - illegal
- assist by casting walls - illegal

------------------------------------------------------
UNVERIFIED: Staff please Verify?
------------------------------------------------------
- use steal, from an alt, to assist your murder - unanswered currently - will update soon
- use an alts pets to "Guard" yourself - unanswered currently - will update soon

To me: the rule seems straight forward, don't login an alt while you are pvping. Hence NO Multi-clienting, but this is obviously not the case. And since it is not the case the rule has developed quite a lot of gray areas. Gray areas with very little clarification in the actual rules. Please post your responses I will update the list as I receive clarification and hopefully we can get the actual rules to reflect.

Also if you have any scenarios you believe should be added to the list, please post them here as well, as I would be interested to hear what you have come across as well. I am relatively new to server, so I would like to get the rules straight before i accidently break a rule I cannot see in the "Terms and Conditions"

Last edited:

khajja

Master
Communication (content, clarity, distribution) has never been a strength here. Been that way since the beginning, unfortunately.

Amalgam

Journeyman
"assist by luring mobs into area"

Under what circumstances might this be illegal? I can't seem think of one.

Tyllany

Apprentice
"assist by luring mobs into area"

Under what circumstances might this be illegal? I can't seem think of one.
- assist by luring mobs into area - Circumstance
- if they are doing it the same time of the attacks on the other client - illegal

so legal if.....the mobs were already lured into an area, and therefor you lead your victim into the area?
so it becomes a loophole if you pre meditated the murder?

Bare in mind, I am only putting in what is verified as information via a staff member. so the rest is theory, hence the post's Title: Eliminating Gray areas.

dakkon10

The chances of someone having a sophisticated enough macro to do things like cast walls, block players, lure monsters to an area..all while you are actively controlling another character? Pretty slim
As you've probably noticed, the theme seems to be that you can't have a second (or third) character actively participating in pvp combat.

Tyllany

Apprentice
The chances of someone having a sophisticated enough macro to do things like cast walls, block players, lure monsters to an area..all while you are actively controlling another character?
You may be underestimating how sophisticated players can be, if it gives them a slight advantage.

The End

Master
The most overlooked issue on almost every post like this is that ppl do not differentiate between PvP and Pking. PvP is full of intent and being consensual play. Pking is 90% of what ppl complain about multiclient pvping in. If your Pking somone your not pvping because the other side is not pvping they are just trying to not die.

Tyllany

Apprentice
The most overlooked issue on almost every post like this is that ppl do not differentiate between PvP and Pking. PvP is full of intent and being consensual play. Pking is 90% of what ppl complain about multiclient pvping in. If your Pking somone your not pvping because the other side is not pvping they are just trying to not die.
I feel the definition of the rule is what makes it misleading. As the rule states NO-MultiClienting in ANY PvP Scenario.
-Multi Client: more than one client
-PvP: any conflict between two players (This includes but it is not limited to PK)
By definition, the rule would prevent any player from swapping between two different clients while they are in ANY PvP Scenario.(PK included) But the moderators have redefined PvP do be something different from the vocabulary used.

"Multi-client PVP here is defined as one player using two or more clients to attack a target simultaneously. "

This does not follow the vocabulary used as stated in the terms and conditions, THIS is why the rule has become such a contested gray area. This post is here to contest every possible scenario thought of to clarify as to what UOF has decided to be considered "Illegal" as the definition alone is too misleading to be followed to the intent.

In closing it should be the intent of the rule that is followed, meaning the intent is to prevent players from giving themselves an unfair advantage during PvP scenarios, so NO-MultiClienting is the intent. It would seem over the years players have found scenarios that they can get away with, so these scenarios have been deemed "Legal" I am gathering these scenarios into one post, so ALL players can be well informed, and I can strip the advantage away from abusers.

The End

Master
So at any time when a player is multiclient pvming. And some troll feels like running in naked and aggressing the pvmers clients so he can scream multiclient pvp that should be considered illegal. Because that the norm of ppl bitching about multiclient “pvp” pvp and Pking are different. We wouldn’t have made a entirely new reference word up for them if they were not.

Tyllany

Apprentice
Hence "Gray lines". Heres a fun scenario.

Im out on my mule and you run up to attack. I swap my mule client and bring out a hidden murderer who goes after you. Multi Clienting? While you are distracted by my murderer. mule safely recals out.

Im out on my mule and you run up to attack. My guarding pets are attacking you now. I swap my mule client and bring out a hidden murderer who goes after you. Multi Clienting? While you are distracted by my murderer. mule safely recals out.

To me, the intent of the rule is to remove gray lines entirely. But We are now having to re-explain a definition, for specific given scenarios. The rule is vague to any new person who may be reading it, recycling the same conversation of topic we are on now.

The End

Master
What if Somones pvming on three tamers all with at least one murder count and you roll in on a pk and throw a explo pot at their dragon army? Your forcing somone to defend themselves they don’t want their chars to die just because somone tried to pk them so they cross heal themselves to keep them alive. Multiclient pvp? No. You tried to pk somone that had no intent to pvp or fight another player at all. Are all ppl pvming with thier clients just supposed to. Oh well a pk attacked me I have to let two characters die or I’m “multiclient pvping”. The retort to the above example could be that it’s you choice as a pk to try and kill a person obviously multiclient pvming with no intention of pvp. You don’t have to try to pk that player

Tyllany

Apprentice
according to rules, cross healing would be against the rules. using your pets to multi guard is also against the rules. But thats the problem, too many situations that can arise causing too much controversy.

It really does sound like multi clienting dangerously borders abuse on all sides. Hence why I still believe the intent of the rule lies in NO-Multi Clienting during pvp scenarios. Meaning do not swap between two or more seperate clients when your character enters a pvp scenario, whichever account you happen to be playing on has to do the work.

Though in your scenario, the legal thing to do could be:
Heal yourself and your pets but only those attached to the individual client.
recal out
gate out
attack with one of your toons, but not more than 1, perhaps retreat the other two?

just make sure you do not:
attack the player youself with more than one toon
cross heal
cross cure
cross pet heal
cast barracade spells on one toon while attacking with another.
ect ect

Last edited:

Tyllany

Apprentice
Such a contridiction, when Pk IS a PvP scenario by definition, then again UOF has redefined the definition...

is that staff verified or just player assumed?

Last edited: