Runic Hammers vs Wooden Weapons

Is the rate of runic hammer weapons fair vs wooden mod weapons?

• Unfair due to the amount of time and effort to put into BoDs

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Fair

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Needs change of some kind

Votes: 6 40.0%

• Total voters

Blaine the Gypsy

Grandmaster
I will settle this with this that I made my self
10984107_10152929193991194_3512760028037796110_n.jpg

Mango

Grandmaster
I am still so out of the loop still with the crafting community & all of the changes these last few months.But from what I've read I am very sad to hear so many crafters have left

eppy

Grandmaster
Honestly I would love to see all raw materials removed from npc vendors as a first step. It would give new players a way to get gold by gathering. Then a revamp of some of the harvesting mechanics.

halygon

Grandmaster
Maybe I'm the odd one out but I like the bod system. It IS a gamble but I get something every time. Some people enjoy collecting(aka hording) rares - I like high end bod rewards. They are something that takes time and energy to get and in the end, even useful.

But on topic....

I see the reasoning behind your argument, but I'd like to see some suggestions on how you think this area of crafting can be improved.

Fattson

Grandmaster
My issue with a raw materials rework is that it will increase the value of those mats but without an increased interest/demand for the finished product, it's going to create an even smaller profit margin than what we're currently seeing.

I, like @halygon, enjoy the bod system. I don't think that's the problem.

Blaine the Gypsy

Grandmaster
This post is originally stating that to get runic weapons you must have runic hammers. To get runic wooden weapons you don't. I like bods, but I don't like collecting them when it's the point becomes valueless. There's a lot of steps to get a runic metal weapon and hardly anything to get wooden ones.

I can and most likely will come up with ideas/suggestions, but I wanted to see if it was worth the effort and it wasn't just me having an issue.

Mango

Grandmaster
Could always remove wooden runics (which is likely out of the question since they've already been released), or make the process of getting one crazy hard like smithing runics.

As far as wanting to reduce the amount of crafting materials, I think the best way (especially with the low demand) is to host an occasional crafting event. Because you know... Lord British needs a new valorite drawbridge ^_^

edit: another solution is simply reducing the stats of wooden weapons *cough* but a crafting even would be epic ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

eppy

Grandmaster
Using what I believe is the current price for the highest tiers of wood a vanq/+25/exceptional bow would require ~1m worth of wood to get. This is ignoring the durability rating. The valorite runic equivalent bow is in the neighborhood of 1/10000 chance. If frostwood is worth 80gp per log and a bow takes 6? 10000 * 6 * 80 = 4.8m worth of frostwood to make such a bow on average.

It doesnt require you to have 20 smiths or log them in 4 times a day. All you have to do is actually gather resources and craft.

The bod system is a completely backwards. If it was roughly an even chance to get any materials and smalls versus large then instead of a guaranteed reward based on bod, you do random reward at turn in the system would function properly.

So, I would propose that actually. Do away with guaranteed rewards and switch to random at turn in with a bonus for LBODs. This way you actually have to use resources to have a chance.

Fattson

Grandmaster
But that's not how we look at it. Bods are a source of income as well as piece of a project. Messing with the system could take the little bit of economy that smiths have.

Mango

Grandmaster
the luck factor never really bothered me, it kind of makes the prize so much more satisfying lol.

...Do away with guaranteed rewards and switch to random at turn in with a bonus for LBODs. This way you actually have to use resources to have a chance.

^^ That sounds amazingly interesting. I personally love doing BODs, and doing this could make them even more fun (potentially)!

eppy

Grandmaster
But that's not how we look at it. Bods are a source of income as well as piece of a project. Messing with the system could take the little bit of economy that smiths have.

You could still sell bods of course, it just wouldnt really reward you that much for getting any particular one. The system actually encourages you to not fill bods at the moment and I would argue that that is broken. I have heard so many people say they dont even bother keeping their iron bods or the just toss them in the trash. This is just my personal opinion of course but I really think you would actually see people filling the bods instead of just grabbing them all the live long day.

Mango

Grandmaster
forgot to mention the wood. As far as the cost of wood goes.. This I feel will likely go down drastically in the near future. I've already started seeing some vendors sell colored wood by the 10's of thousands.

With all the resource gathering scripting that goes on, the wooden weapons are going to be just as common as the bazillion crafted slayer weapons everywhere.

Fattson

Grandmaster
You could still sell bods of course, it just wouldnt really reward you that much for getting any particular one. The system actually encourages you to not fill bods at the moment and I would argue that that is broken. I have heard so many people say they dont even bother keeping their iron bods or the just toss them in the trash. This is just my personal opinion of course but I really think you would actually see people filling the bods instead of just grabbing them all the live long day.

I mean. The vast majority of the rewards are next to useless. Same thing with tailoring. Crafters are scrambling for the good stuff because it's the only way they have of bringing in any kind of income. And if our incomes get any lower than they are now, what's the point of crafting?

eppy

Grandmaster
Who says the rewards table couldnt change? It doesnt get changed now because I dont like how it works so im not putting my time into it.

Weland

Grandmaster
I know that after I heard that crafting has taken a dive I've been reluctant in making my BOD smiths. I don't want to invest the time mining the ingots and GM blacksmithy just for it to be a wasted endeavor. I came back to UO originally to be a smith.

I would like to see some changes made to the BOD process. I think the fact that you need 3 to 5 BOD smiths just to have a chance at getting a decent BOD is a bit unneeded.

If you complete a SBOD there should be a full range of items that you get an equal chance to receive and the higher grade of the resource required = the higher the chance on certain items.

Example: SBOD Iron gets % chance on certain items to include low end runic hammers. SBOD w/ Shadow Ingots, the runic hammer gets a bump in the %chance to get that hammer.

LBODS would fall into a different category that offer the higher end hammers and other useful things like PS's for mining and Smithing.

I don't have much to go with in regards to harvesting. I just mine and dump stuff into my pack horse and beetle and spend hours a day getting ore.