Sigil of Murder

Status
Not open for further replies.

tader

Expert
Open letter to those who may care to read it.

This is not intended to be a gripe or complaint post, however it will come off as such.

I am quite concerned with the recent faction changes. I will admit, I am not a pvper and as such I stayed out of the massive thread about new factions and have little interest in joining factions even with the new changes. I like a lot of the changes though and think that they are an interesting bonus for players when they CHOOSE to be open to pvp at all times. My concern however is with the Sigil of Murder. Reds on this server already have it extremely easy. Auto buyback for 30k, insures that if they die they cannot be stated and at most loose 30k. They have a non cut zone just outside of Britain. They have access to up to 3 accounts to rotate reds that are stated. And they can only be stated up to 48 hours. They can enter towns "freely" as the guards ignore them. In fact I would go so far as to say in the last 5 months this server has become the most Red friendly server available.

With the addition of the Sigil of Murder players that have already CHOSEN to engage in PVP every time they leave their house by taking what others have earned remove ALL of the negative consequences of being red. This is really disappointing to me, and IMO a HORRIBLE design decision. I am prepared for the rants and flames but it doesn't change the fact. Reds have been griping about how tough they have it and many tell anyone who complains to go to trammel, yet constantly get things that make it easier and easier. This change has effectively made the server Trammel for red players whose faction is able to hold Nujel'm.

Just in case you haven't seen it, the patch notes of consirn

• Sigil of Murder
    • This sigil grants added protection and bonuses to murderers. It prevents a murderers body from being carved as well as allows faction and ethic weapons to be used on regular players.
      • No body chopping on controlling faction members.
      • Faction and ethic weapons can be used on regular players.

Thank you for reading please since I have seen how many of these go, keep the name calling to a minimum. I am not trying to even vent but understand why.

Last edited by a moderator:

Guwap

Grandmaster
I'd like to see the no cut applied to faction members only with non-faction players still allowed to cut faction red bodies.

If a faction red is out PKing he should face the same risk of being cut as any other murderer.

Karl Sagan

Grandmaster
I see where you're coming from but I also think that's a pretty badass sigil idea and it's going to make for some serious faction pvp.

Maybe change it to be an activated thing that only lasts a couple hours per day?

Karl Sagan

Grandmaster
I'd like to see the no cut applied to faction members only with non-faction players still allowed to cut faction red bodies.

If a faction red is out PKing he should face the same risk of being cut as any other murderer.

Factioners would just gank and then bring a blue to chop :/

Maybe allow cutting only if no damage was taken from a faction char?

tader

Expert

And that i am OK with. A faction player should not be stat able by another faction player. However a red killed by a blue should still be stat able for any reason.

I see where you're coming from but I also think that's a pretty badass sigil idea and it's going to make for some serious faction pvp.

Maybe change it to be an activated thing that only lasts a couple hours per day?

maybe go back to the original idea instead of the no stat thing

• Sigil of Murder - Allow the use of faction weapons on regular players.

Karl Sagan

Grandmaster
And that i am OK with. A faction player should not be stat able by another faction player. However a red killed by a blue should still be stat able for any reason.

maybe go back to the original idea instead of the no stat thing

• Sigil of Murder - Allow the use of faction weapons on regular players.

Nah I think controlling it will be a huge incentive for factions to fight over, keep it good

I thought factions was for factions? Not for further facilitating non-consensual PKing. Which already has its place in UO mechanics and is just fine. This is a fucking horrible idea.

crazy-horse

Master
Ok let me get this straight, because I may be wrong, seriously. In the olde UO, faction weapons were blessed? Are they also blessed on UOF? Is Shane giving PKs blessed weapons AND not losing their heads, AND free attacking non-faction people?
Again, pretty much asking.. if faction weapons are not blessed then whats the difference in normal and faction weapon on here?
If the PKs are going to be coming at me with blessed vanqs, then dammit I want mine blessed too. Not because the cool kids have it, but in freakin self-defense.

Karl Sagan

Grandmaster
Ok let me get this straight, because I may be wrong, seriously. In the olde UO, faction weapons were blessed? Are they also blessed on UOF? Is Shane giving PKs blessed weapons AND not losing their heads, AND free attacking non-faction people?
Again, pretty much asking.. if faction weapons are not blessed then whats the difference in normal and faction weapon on here?
If the PKs are going to be coming at me with blessed vanqs, then dammit I want mine blessed too. Not because the cool kids have it, but in freakin self-defense.

Yeah I think that's the idea, to make people want to control the sigil. You want blessed vanqs? Get in factions and help your faction control the sigil.

Hopefully people take off their fucking dresses and quit whining and actually FIGHT for this stuff.

You want consequences and motivation? This is it.

Mordoc

Master
seems to me reds on this server are more trammy than trammel.

horrible idea imo. i say get rid of no cut zones all together. reds are supposed to have it rough.

Yeah I think that's the idea, to make people want to control the sigil. You want blessed vanqs? Get in factions and help your faction control the sigil.

Hopefully people take off their fucking dresses and quit whining and actually FIGHT for this stuff.

Translation: Join factions whether you want to or not. Else suffer considerable gameplay mechanic disadvantages.

Fucking brilliant.

Karl Sagan

Grandmaster
Translation: Join factions whether you want to or not. Else suffer considerable gameplay mechanic disadvantages.

Genius.

Yup.

Put a char in factions and you can influence your destiny.

People are so hesitant to join in what *can* be some of the most fun, challenging, and memorable pvp, I think a forced conscription effort is juuuust fine.

I mean let's be realistic 80%+ of the server is going to piss and moan and exaggerate about this until it gets changed, I'd love to see it last a month and see if there is actually any appreciable difference in the amount of murders.

crazy-horse

Master

Welll... if thats the case, maybe Shane needs to rewrite the ad on the front page. If thats the route he's wanting to go, UOF will have VERY little in comparison with the original. UO was NOT about PKing, it was designed from the Ultima series, it was a ROLE PLAY PvM scenario. You could jusy kill everything, including other players. BUT, harsh measures were put in place to try to curtail that.
Now, if Shane is wanting this to be about murdering others and NOT about role play or PvM, maybe he doesn't want a shard with role players (ok he did already drive the urks away) or PvM.
I don't mind playing in a wild world. I enjoy playing in a dangerous world. I do not want to play in Trammel and I sure as hell don't want to play in a cancerous PK trammel.

crazy-horse

Master
Yup.

Put a char in factions and you can influence your destiny.

People are so hesitant to join in what *can* be some of the most fun, challenging, and memorable pvp, I think a forced conscription effort is juuuust fine.

I mean let's be realistic 80%+ of the server is going to piss and moan and exaggerate about this until it gets changed, I'd love to see it last a month and see if there is actually any appreciable difference in the amount of murders.
I played in fractions on Sonoma and Lake Superior. I found factions tended to attract the worst of the hate-players and the worst of the exploiters.

Karl Sagan

Grandmaster
Welll... if thats the case, maybe Shane needs to rewrite the ad on the front page. If thats the route he's wanting to go, UOF will have VERY little in comparison with the original. UO was NOT about PKing, it was designed from the Ultima series, it was a ROLE PLAY PvM scenario. You could jusy kill everything, including other players. BUT, harsh measures were put in place to try to curtail that.
Now, if Shane is wanting this to be about murdering others and NOT about role play or PvM, maybe he doesn't want a shard with role players (ok he did already drive the urks away) or PvM.
I don't mind playing in a wild world. I enjoy playing in a dangerous world. I do not want to play in Trammel and I sure as hell don't want to play in a cancerous PK trammel.

Yes but it's 2015 now, increased skill gain and numerous other changed mechanics balance the risk of pks already.

Yes this will be a buff to SOME pks, but I think it is a worthwhile experiment.

Staff

Young Player Help
I just put it in thinking it would be a very desirable sigil. It really would only impact a few PKers. We've also had the point of bloodshed in for a long time which does pretty much the same thing.

I like the idea of the sigil but I am completely open to change. What if we removed the auto buyback for heads? This removes a server wide benefit for reds who haven't done anything to earn it and makes it so they have to put in some work to receive immunity.

In the end it comes down to what Shane wants. He feels both sides have valid arguments. Let's all try to come to a balanced alternative!

crazy-horse

Master
Let's all try to come to a balanced alternative!
Its already imbalanced. Those who want to play blues live in a Feluccanish world. Those who want to play reds play in a trammelish sort of PK Trammel.
Want balance? If they can feel safe playing with their vanqs, let me feel safe playing with mine. Blessed weapons for all whom are affected by them.
Or just remove blessed status from the fraction weapons and we have balance.
I don't care much about reds getting statted, I don't think that was ever an actual deterrent to them.
I like the rush of escaping a difficult sitaution, let the reds be reds.
BUT, if I have to go toe to toe, I want to know that if they keep their precious if THEY die, then so do I if I die.

Status
Not open for further replies.