Someones being a little too hard on folks.. (GM)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrono Hood

Neophyte
I think this is a joke .. but here it goes.

So I work from home .. I'm constantly alt-tabbing while macroing and one thing I was doing last night was running a macro that literally stands in the spot I'm at and mines the floor and put my ore in my pack horse standing by be.. Thats it .. nothing more.

I fell asleep working (as I usually do at my keyboard sometimes) and I wake up with my character JAILED for 2 days.

1) This is too much .. I ended up wasting money on pickaxes that got wasted and I wasnt even turning the ore into ingots. I was not gathering any resources.. My pack horse filled up with 130 ore like it usually does before I empty it .. but I didnt. I fell asleep.

2) My pack horse just got bonded.. I was so happy to not have to be buying more damn horses.

3) I have a 2-day jail for this. - Seriously?

I think somebody got mad today and started on a tirade.. I still have 17 out of 19 of my pickaxes .. so if they sent me a message it was literally right after I set myself up there and the last thing I remember was that i alt-tabbed to work on a video I was producing and I woke up on my desk..

Anyway .. I really love UO .. I've been playing it for 10+ years at this point.
I can't stand AUTOMATED AFK GATHERING... but a player standing stationary outside in the danger zone and not moving .. harvesting ANYTHING .. should be something deserving of a much lesser punishment than losing a bonded horse and 2 days of play time.

Sorry , I just wanted to let you guys know that I appreciate you all keeping a great game like this alive and i'm grateful for it. And I'm one of the better players you could hope to have on the server to promote it's population.

But you need to know that you have someone there on the GM team that is taking things a little too seriously.
Or perhaps you should change the rule to apply to people who are really making a difference in the economy with their macroing.. Not a guy who managed to fill up his pack horse with 130 ore and is idling.
At best .. I was dropping ore at my feet wasting it for 6 hours .. And I got jailed for that.. As far as I know it was simple iron ore.. nothing special either.
Again - Only because I fell asleep.

I get that rules are rules .. but when you can interact with other humans , some understanding should be involved in there somewhere. I did however get a GM to help with my bonded horse.. but I was told I have a 2day jail time (via the in game gump) and told by the GM that its only a 24h jail time for the "crime" I committed. So on top of it all , I got an extra day of jail for nothing.

I get the rules .. I must answer a staff member in a reasonable amount of time or I'd get jailed.. Got it .. I fell asleep. My mistake.. The problem is .. I have a routine .. I work , macro while I work .. and fall asleep often while doing so .. .wasting my resources most of the time. But 95% I'm able to bank and logoff and I never leave him just standing there macroing unless I fall asleep.

What I suspect will happen is this same exact thing like 5 more times in the next 3 months.. So am I eventually going to get banned for falling asleep and spilling ore in an empty cave? And why was I jailed for 2 days on my first offense of this when I was told its a 24h jail from the GM I paged?

=/

Last edited by a moderator:

Kears

Master
I get the rules .. I must answer a staff member in a reasonable amount of time or I'd get jailed.. Got it .. I fell asleep. My mistake..

Sorry bud to hear this happened to you, but this ^

Chill, watch a movie or something, come back tomorrow (assuming that's when the 2 days is gone) or play your 2nd/3rd account.

Cheers.

wreckognize

Grandmaster
yeah man, well, it is illegal. I think they're just trying to make a point now so that one day when you learn how to macro mining like a boss, you'll know better :)

Swayze

Grandmaster
We take afk resource gathering quite seriously. Your macro was still going and you were asleep. If you are not replying to the staff member in a reasonable amount of time you will be jailed. Rules are rules.

Bromista

Grandmaster
yeah man, well, it is illegal. I think they're just trying to make a point now so that one day when you learn how to macro mining like a boss, you'll know better :)
Selling afk mining script that mines down to the millisecond and throws worthless gems on the ground. PM Hanesboi for details.

Lolhanes.

Chrono Hood

Neophyte
<insert R2D2 picture here> -

This rule is in place to stop people from gaining an unfair advantage and messing with the in-game economy am I right?

SO technically I broke the rule .. by falling asleep with my stationary macro on.. but wasn't remotely close to doing either of the things that rule is in place to enforce. I wasnt recalling and smelting and banking .. none of that.
And got double the jail time to boot. (so im told)

Anyway - while I got you here.. This is something I suspect will happen more than once.. As I alt-tab and work , I fall sleep on myself all the time.. My bed is literally my workstation.. nothing beats working in your underwear.. trust me.. So occasionally I just lay back and konk out.. Often in the middle of assignments I'm working on... or games im macroing on..

So what will happen .. say the 2nd , 3rd time of this? In like .. a 2 month span or so ?
Because I know it will happen again by accident.. and it's not like you can tell me to stop .. Just ask my wife why I can't seem to close cabinet doors in the kitchen .. I dont know .. I just forget ...

I plan on donating to the server because I'm really happy it's even here and popping in the first place and I want to support that.
But 2 things are holding me back right now ..
The question I just asked above ..

And all the people hotboxing and speedhacking. Yes I'll have videos for you guys soon .. but I lack caring enough to run the recording program the whole time I play most days..

Chrono Hood

Neophyte
Selling afk mining script that mines down to the millisecond and throws worthless gems on the ground. PM Hanesboi for details.

Lolhanes.

I can do this in 5 minutes. THAT - is more unfair than anything I was doing. I'm only using razor..
My razor macro looks like this:

Click pickaxe by type
target relative location
Drag ore into horse
Hide
Repeat...

When the horse is full everything just drops and I may collect a stack of about 60 on the ground before it deletes itself on those occasions where I dont alt-tab back sooner.

The case and point being ...
People need to be jailed for ruining the economy and making serious gains on completely AFK macroing.
Not what I did.

But hey - It sounds safer to go ahead and start mining colored ore spots via a macroing script and my runebook in remote locations that a GM will never roam.. I bet I can do it 24hrs a day. You see .. its true , I'll never get caught doing that. I know this already .. But it's sad ..

You jailed a good guy this time fellas. Its just sad. Sad that everyone in the world is following rules more than making sense or enforcing what they were designed to do properly. This extends to more than just the game .. look at the government.. It feels like I just had an interaction with police.. The same ones who just simply follow the rules and don't care.

But why does that have to extend into a game world? What are you GMing for? If its a hobby , and it was me personally , I'd just make sure people knew the rules ... y'know .. give a warning to the people like myself .. jail the people doing real wrongs. . but no .. no no no . We'll do it the easier way and cast aside all feelings , reason , and empathy.

K .. toodles , I'm done .. This has been a silly day in my fantasy world. I hope it made someone feel bigger or taller or more important at the expense of my potentially hazardous move to overthrow UOForever's economy with an influx of high quality iron ingots.

Karl Sagan

Grandmaster
Jesus are you 12?

Talk about not being able to see the bigger picture. Sorry you broke the rules and your response is to throw a tantrum, next time inform the staff up front that you are indeed a very special snowflake - rules simply don't apply.

Expendable

Master
1. Chrono stop asking what will happen if you keep doing it, you will be banned, you're smart enough to know this.
2. The GM's give you time to respond if they suspect you of AFK gathering. (So you would have had time to explain your paragraphs of woe)
3. Saying stuff like "Yeah i got caught AFK gathering but wait until i have all this other evidence on other people" makes the community not like you.
4. Stop falling the fuck asleep at your computer, even if you "work" from home, none of us get to fall asleep at work(Maybe @Deadpool)
5. That's about it, i didn't know where i was going with this list.

Bromista

Grandmaster
I can do this in 5 minutes. THAT - is more unfair than anything I was doing. I'm only using razor..
My razor macro looks like this:

Click pickaxe by type
target relative location
Drag ore into horse
Hide
Repeat...

When the horse is full everything just drops and I may collect a stack of about 60 on the ground before it deletes itself on those occasions where I dont alt-tab back sooner.

The case and point being ...
People need to be jailed for ruining the economy and making serious gains on completely AFK macroing.
Not what I did.

But hey - It sounds safer to go ahead and start mining colored ore spots via a macroing script and my runebook in remote locations that a GM will never roam.. I bet I can do it 24hrs a day. You see .. its true , I'll never get caught doing that. I know this already .. But it's sad ..

You jailed a good guy this time fellas. Its just sad. Sad that everyone in the world is following rules more than making sense or enforcing what they were designed to do properly. This extends to more than just the game .. look at the government.. It feels like I just had an interaction with police.. The same ones who just simply follow the rules and don't care.

But why does that have to extend into a game world? What are you GMing for? If its a hobby , and it was me personally , I'd just make sure people knew the rules ... y'know .. give a warning to the people like myself .. jail the people doing real wrongs. . but no .. no no no . We'll do it the easier way and cast aside all feelings , reason , and empathy.

K .. toodles , I'm done .. This has been a silly day in my fantasy world. I hope it made someone feel bigger or taller or more important at the expense of my potentially hazardous move to overthrow UOForever's economy with an influx of high quality iron ingots.
I apologize. I realize that my reference will be lost on everyone that reads that comment but the one sad motherfucker it was intended for.

Wreckognize stalked me one night, playing pretend GM like he usually does (he considers himself greater than or equal to staff members) and watched me mine for a considerable amount of time when I was testing veins on the mist-shrouded island.

I know he didn't, but he tried so hard to sweat me by telling me that I was mining down to the millisecond and he record/reported me to staff. Also mu mining was obviously scripted because I was manually dropping the gems on the ground.

Many laughs were had at his expense. It was the low point of his Ultima Online career, of that I have no doubt.

P.s. why is he even commenting on the forums again? Lol.

MANKRIK

Grandmaster
The GM's don't know every individual's personal circumstances and so must enforce the rules equally for everyone. If you suspect it will happen again then modify your macro to timeout after a while or just don't play when you feel you're falling asleep. It's your responsibility to make sure you're not breaking the rules.

wreckognize

Grandmaster

Lolhanes.

(he considers himself greater than or equal to staff members) .

Don't buy @Bromista 's fledgeling macro. And don't bother asking staff for help scripting either; both of their pathetic mining scripts pale in comparison to the great haney-boo-boo's macro.

Mine will even search desperately for any crumbs of rock that may have fallen into the carpet. It will even force the client to believe it has found something when in fact it's not even a rock at all. Kind of like a placebo effect.

eppy

Grandmaster
Here's the thing. I shouldn't have to waste any of my time checking macro miners. You get about 1 min to respond and if you don't I'm going to jail you. It takes away from useful things staff can do and I have heard every excuse in the book by now. Just don't do it. Watch your screen if you are mining.

Status
Not open for further replies.