Speedhack

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdcalve

Master
Getting out of control.

I page in on one of the Dirt guild members and he gets 3 day jail as opposed to banned.

New guild is called "di" from minax and guess what.. user oOo oOo obviously speedhacking.

Jumping all over screen when I ping 50ms.. stops to cast ebolt while i'm on a dead straight run and catches me within 2 seconds.

Something being done about these people or still getting free passes?

Last edited by a moderator:

Babethoven

Grandmaster
idk im just gonna keep my mouth shut because what I got to say will result in a ban, but yeh somebody just send me a link to a clear detailed link at that of all the rules of this shard, thanks because this is being a problem here and im sure me as well as anyone else, donator or not... expect to play a fair shard.

steve-o

Grandmaster
unfortunately everytime I page none is on to answer :(

and if you don't catch them while they are fighting it's obvious they will turn it off...

how do u know he got 3day of jail and not banned? i paged on many but never knew the consequences (didn't see them around anymore)

Darkarna

Grandmaster
50ms ping... Oh how I dream to experience such a rarity.. I was accused of speed hacking, back when I first started this wonderful shard but fortunately, I sent in a ticket and got a councillor to observe my movement. I am not saying that the guys you are reporting are legitimate but your ping coming from a 300+ ping looks identical to a speed hack on some occasions.

I wish there was a way to throttle ping's to 100ms, at least then everyone would be on even playing field and no one would consider cheating and/or be easier to catch if they were.

Okay, I am ready for the avalanche of moans,whines and cries.

Loki

Adept
Yea i got in trouble for speaking my mind in the forums so i will just smile and act like nothing is wrong

thechemicals

Apprentice
One problem is that you have idiots that are incorrectly blaming people for speedhacking. Obviously not you fine gentlemen, but there are people who cannot believe they were royally owned and streamrolled in the pvp "cat and mouse" that is this shard.

I play between 45-67ms and have seen people glide off my screen. I have seen players cast teleport without stopping and sometimes i can barely even see the spell being cast. It just blinks in and out and then the player is gone.

Memphist

Grandmaster
In my opinion you can only handle this problem if you allow speedhacking on this server. So all can use it and nobody has a advantage. I know it isnt the best idea but to ban people or put them for 3 days in the jail dont solve the problem(but better as nothing :) ). Because you can change your IP and build a new account (char) very fast. For example to train a mage with some support takes only some hours.

Skoad

Journeyman
jdcalve didn't you say you ping 90 while in irc last night? Here you say 50? I'm not taking anyone's side, but pinging 90 and having someone run faster than you doesn't mean they speed hack. You've got to realize that there are probably a few dozen people that play here that probably ping less than 20-25. I have people skip ahead of me quite often while running straight and I ping around 65. Without a throttle, youll never be able t fix it and just got to accept that some people will run faster.

steve-o

Grandmaster
I ping 180 but 90% of the time i run faster & can escape from anyone, I'm gm runner...

it's not the 1-2 tiles faster that makes them speedhakers... it's the "jumping" on the screen or off the screen in a sec.

i have seen a LOT of speedhackes in last few days
they just teleport a screen (or a house sized 18) in 0.1 sec.

99% of em are in factions that i have seen.

and someone said about the 00o0o0 guys, they are a guild w/ some guys named 0o0o0 ,not only a guy

10 houses in a row?
no man....no...

i can reconize a speedhack when i see it, and lagged players..etc..thers a HUGE difference

jdcalve

Master
jdcalve didn't you say you ping 90 while in irc last night? Here you say 50? I'm not taking anyone's side, but pinging 90 and having someone run faster than you doesn't mean they speed hack. You've got to realize that there are probably a few dozen people that play here that probably ping less than 20-25. I have people skip ahead of me quite often while running straight and I ping around 65. Without a throttle, youll never be able t fix it and just got to accept that some people will run faster.

No, I did not.

In response to Metalhead- .. I've only run into three obvious speedhackers (in 3-4 months here) while out pvp'ing. That being said.. I only play 4-5 hours a week in the field and then a few champ spawns here and there.

There was a guy at an idoc over this last weekend that when we first fought his small group and they got me low.. he was able to not only chase me down on a straight run but get in front of me multiple times. Ten minutes later fighting his same group and he wasn't able to keep up with me. I didn't bother to report it because although he seemed suspiciously fast, he wasn't "teleporting" around so it's possible he had a ridiculously low ping (10-20ms).

I don't report/claim anything unless it's blatantly obvious.. like the Dirt guy I reported and Carl caught within 2 minutes using it again. This oOo oOo guy was as fast if not faster.. teleporting basically.

* This isn't a thread to bash staff.. they have lives and being a free server you can't expect 24 hour coverage by a GM/admin or whatever. I'm just curious if there's something that can be done besides having to actively monitor suspected users. I'm sure they get 20 pages a day where some newb just doesn't know how to run also.

Bart Starr

Neophyte
I ping roughly 230+ in Wisconsin and even zombies outrun me. Seriously too. I feel everyone's pain and then some...a ZOMBIE

Charlie

Neophyte
I see the occasional person toggle it but I've really only seen one person continuously run it and I paged about it and haven't seem since.

I get accused of speedhack fairly often but I also have been practicing running lines and weaving plus 30-50 average ping helps. Then you add in leaving house macros and I can see how people get confused.

Best thing I can suggest is to continue to report it and start recording, if possible. I think I've been pretty fortunate in avoiding most of them.

Malcate

Master
I paged on a guy at the bank yesterday. He would run, skip, Stop. Repeat. Did it about 10 minutes or so, and honestly looked as though he was testing it

z0rak

How has no one chimed in to say that speedhacking is impossible in RunUO? It's been impossible in RunUO since 2003. Ping and computer speed absolutely contribute to your max run speed in this game, but that's not speedhacking.

The RunUO server limits maximum run speed-- if you're unhappy with the maximum speed that people playing on newish computers with awesome connections can achieve, then the admins could totally tweak that maximum speed number.

Off the top of my head, I seem to recall the max speed being 100ms per step. That does not mean that if you ping 100ms, you have max speed because there are maaaaany more packets than just your movement requests going back and forth between you and the server. And most of those packets are significantly longer than the 32-byte ICMP PING packet that windows sends by default, so just running "ping login.uoforever.com" isn't 100% accurate. Anyway, though, pinging ~100 (even though 100 is pretty good) is radically different from pinging ~10-20.

Status
Not open for further replies.