Stealing behaviour

KaasKop

Neophyte
Hello,

The stealing system is something i don't understand here.

When i try to steal gold, i get insta killed by guards.
When i sometimes successfully steal an item, i get insta guarded.
I can't steal trophies which are not blessed?

I don't get it.

How does this system work here?

THanks

KaasKop

Neophyte
I understand, i simply get the message: "its to heavy to steal" or something like that.
But i also get guarded when i try to steal a mandrake root stack of 40..

I see something like "You successfully steal the item, the guards may now be called on you" and i get insta killed.

I mean wtf?:D

halygon

Grandmaster
I will try to be comprehensive here:

What you can steal is based off of three factors:

1. Is the item blessed?
2. Is the item newbied? (blessed but without the "blessed" tag, and only blessed to blues)
3. How heavy is the item?

#1 and #2 are fairly self explanatory, but #3 needs some explanation. The weight of what you can steal is based off of your stealing level. At 10 skill level, you can effectively steal 1 stone weighted items, at 50 skill, you can steal about 5 stone weighted items and so on up to 10 stones at GM. You cannot steal above 10 stone weighted items unless you have a higher than GM skill level.

So that is what you CAN steal, but what other factors are there?

1. Are there people around (Players & NPC)?
- If players are within a few tiles of your (i believe its around 5-7 tiles), your stealing chance is reduced
- If no one is around except your target, your stealing chance is much better
2. You can steal an item but still have guards called on you
- So there are a few status' here. If you steal an item, but are noticed, you will be successful in stealing (and receive the successful message) but be marked a criminal to all, including guards. This means an NPC or player saying "Guards" gets you killed (and yes NPCs can see through walls and buildings). If you are not successful in stealing an item and are seen failing, guards can still be called on you (i think.. someone correct me if i am wrong).

As a thief, what you WANT to happen is a successful, unnoticed steal. This means guards cannot be called on you and you stay blue to the world. The "previous owner" of the item you stole will see you as criminal (grey) and be able to attack you in this case. In fact, the second you steal an item, you are "Perma Grey".

"Perma Grey" - You stole an item and got away with it successfully. You are blue to the world (except maybe the item owner), but you are freely attackable by anyone, in town or outside. Most ppl will not attack you as they do not know "for sure" that you are perma grey, but it is possible that someone can attack you.

KaasKop

Neophyte
Thanks Halygon!, much more clear now, now whats up with the items that do not have [blessed] in their name but still aren't stealable?
Is it something i learn over time? (which items are stealable and not?)

halygon

Grandmaster
A good example of a newbie item is the clothing your character starts with. You die and it stays with you, but looks the same as a NPC purchased item. The only time it does not stay on you through death is when you turn murderer(red).

Jager

Grandmaster
outa curiosity, does that item become un-newbied at time of going red? and wont be newbied to any other char? or just unblessed towads the red holding it?

halygon

Grandmaster
Items that are newbied do not become un-newbied. Reds just don't keep them after death. It's like a penalty for being red.

halygon

Grandmaster
Also keep in mind that some reward items are newbied too.. The costumes from last Halloween come to mind first.

AkkaNation

Neophyte
I also have a few things I don't understand about stealing.
How come I when I have a house key, and I die, I lose it? But when I try to steal one it says:''You can't steal that''
What is the reason I cannot steal the house key?

I am really starting to regret that I made a thief. Almost no valuable items are stealable. And when you find some items you can steal, you get guarded 90% of the time by a NPC. Also what is the point in stealth if you get revealed when you steal an item? How am I supposed to splintercell my way through brit if as soon as I steal something I just become visible and they can attack me.

Is there a way I can actually make some money as a thief? Or is stealing reagents and bandies the life of a thief on UOforever?

Malkraven

Grandmaster
your stealing in the wrong place. ive had tons of great steals and is lots of cash in being a thief ( i havent played him much recently).

Stealing - powerscrolls, bod rewards, puzzle boxs, weapons. skill scrolls if you mean you haven't found any thing worth stealing around bank's that's cos people expect a thief in them areas, goto dungeons, champ spawns, khal, even stalking people around there own homes if there slacking.

there are some great thieves here that make a killing. Town stealing is just not that great cos people expect to be stolen from and most town thiefs are just baiting people to attack them out of boredom or they play a thug and want you to attack so they can get a free kill.

surprise them when they let there guard down

AkkaNation

Neophyte
Oke, but could you tell me how stealing works inside a dungeon? Cause as soon as you steal something you go out of hiding, then what? You try to run away through countless of mobs (which if they attack you makes you unable to hide) and recall away or something?

Malkraven

Grandmaster
you can hold your steal until the cool down on hide is gone and insta hide (this also works for double steal) or yea run break line of sight and hide/stealth. tbh sometimes it take them a while to react if they ever do. you only need to break line of sight to hide again

A thug thief will fight back if you attack him, a mage will use invis, teleport, paralyze and heal to get away, it depends on the rest of your spec. being a great thief is a very skilled profession anyone can grab a item get guard whacked and loot his own corpse on a alt.

Not only dungeons can get players when they shop at player vendors, get bod rewards as they hand in bods

halygon

Grandmaster
Also if you see a red fighting in town, you can steal his regs or weapon and then loot him when he gets killed.

Hang out at rune libraries and steal t-maps.

Watch dexxors with good weapons. The weapon is auto disarmed when they cast recall. You can steal it before they disappear.

If you are a disarm thief, turn grey and provoke dexxors to attack you, then steal their weapon.

Steal regs and sell mass regs on a vendor. Since you stole them, you can sell them cheaper for a good profit.

When there is a handout, steal the item(s) while everyone still has them on their character as most handouts are not newbied or blessed. (FYI a house key is newbied I believe)

There's a ton of other things, you just gotta get away from the bank and find them. Remember, a thief is part thief, part griefer, and runner (unless you fight for some god awful reason). Learn to take advantage of others and run like hell. There is very little reason anyone should catch you once you start running on this shard.