Suggestion for Crafting and Trading - Marketplaces

Dear developers & players

First of all: english is not my native language. I will try to carefully explain my thoughts. If anything is unclear or requires better explanation, kindly let me know.

Introduction

My intention of this post is to think about the area of „crafting & trading within“ UOF. I have gathered a lot of great input in IRC of different players to write a little suggestion essay of what could be done to „crafting & trading“ in UOF.

Special thanks to (alphabetical order):

Jodybreeze
Mambo
PoonDoctor
Vasheron
VrinDrakus

Please note: nothing is written in stone. Everything can be debated. Dont kill the ideas because of details that could be worked out.

Current situation

We have multiple ways to initiate trading for items in UOF. There are the forums, IRC, WBB, Vendor houses, Docks, outside communication tools (skype, etc) and some other ways.

I am not entirely happy with that situation. It’s all confusing, messy, lacks any structure and just does not feel like a consistent gaming experience to other parts in the game.

Lots of player based vendors are empty, lack restocking, confusing, clicking through a hell of backpacks, etc. It is in general an unpleasing experience.

Suggestion

Marketplaces

I am thinking of at least one (better three) dedicated market place(s). In that area spamming is only very limited allowed (role playing style encouraged). That market place consists of nicely designed & decorated booths. For further illustration I am using this (googled) picture: See Attachment

The booths have npc vendors but filled with goods from players.

Let me make an example:

There is a food booth. Players that want to offer goods of this category have the option to subscribe their items to that vendor. Players can actively manage the prices and amounts. We can even think about the option to mirror the offered goods of player A in his own vendor at his house to avoid double work stocking his house vendor and the vendor at the market place. I don’t intend to kill house vendors.

Market places could exist in Britain, Moonglow and Occlo for example. The market places could be mirrored so that it does not matter in which place you are. This might populate other cities better than it currently does. The focus could shift a little away from WBB. It could be a great place to hang around, chat, have fun, enjoy the activity of actively played people (who really answer, unlike at WBB).

Such a marketplace would be a gold sink for those who want special privileges. Gold sink is a good thing for UOF as gold in UO is always inflating. Some ideas to that:

Flag offers as TOP Picks, fee required

Decorate the booth with your guild colors and even name it (in a mannerly fashion), another fee

Participate in the rotating gate: Next to the vendor is a specially colored gate. That gate can hold up to 5 locations that switches every 30 seconds to player houses. You can subscribe your player house in a weekly manner. Costs a fee but promotes heavily your house.

Players can subscripe to the guild of brokers. Extremely trustworthy for special transactions. The booth of the brokers has also a npc behind that offers to call a broker. That broker would then be notified and could come asap to initiate that special trade. To avoid scams: the selection of brokers would be carefully done. Only known names can get that tile. All again: this includes a fee.

A permanent stage helds regularly real time auctions. A capable player doing the auctioner selling rare and quaint items. Normal stuff can be sold too, e.g. 1m boards which is kinda special, but all auctions take a fee from the sold price.

Conclusion

This idea could be thought further and further and in my opinion is endless. I see so many positive aspects that would influence the game and player base in an advantageous manner.

My goal is to make UOF feel more consistent with that medi evil theme and to bring people together to enable encounters, chats, etc.

For me such a marketplace would be the ideal place for all that and could be a chance to strengthen crafting and trading as a whole.

Please again: don’t take it as written in stone. Details can be worked out but I’d like to hear the general impression it gives.

Harken110

Expert
Honestly I think the current situation is fine, there just needs to be s few adjustments.

First adjustment is the magic item drops from mobs need to be nerf. Make it so if people want good gear they go to crafters for gear. This will encourage the crafting market and as a result will encourage players to keep their vendors stocked.

Second adjustment is change the way vendors are paid. Instead of paying them for holding items, have them take a % (like a sales tax) of the item(s) sold. That way this allows players to place any item(s) so no matter it's worth on their vendor.