Talisman of the Magi Leveling help!!

Andrastian

Master
Unless Im missing something on the Wiki, I cant seem to figure out how to level this thing up... I killed about 200 lizard men so far point blank with energy bolts and ive gotten about 800 exp, seriously... Ive had this Talisman for a week now and havent even gotten half way to level 2. What am I doing wrong? Do I need to be further away to gain more exp, wear less armor or what? What needs to be done to gain optimal exp for the Mage Tali!

Also I dont quite understand the bit on the wiki about Armor Penalty. Is it 1.6% penalty to total AR for wearing the Tali, or is it 1.6% penalty to Spell Damage per AR you have.

Last edited by a moderator:

Derwolf

Grandmaster
Unless Im missing something on the Wiki, I cant seem to figure out how to level this thing up... I killed about 200 lizard men so far point blank with energy bolts and ive gotten about 800 exp, seriously... Ive had this Talisman for a week now and havent even gotten half way to level 2. What am I doing wrong? Do I need to be further away to gain more exp, wear less armor or what? What needs to be done to gain optimal exp for the Mage Tali!

shoulda went zerker...

seriously.

zerker is faster to level, does more damage, and its easy to buy slayer weapons or craft them.

Meta mages are novelty characters. They level much slower than a zerker or defense talisman. If you enjoy spending 4-14mil for a slayer spellbook, 8-10mil for all the relics + another 2-5mil in regs to level the talisman + relics.

Andrastian

Master
shoulda went zerker...

seriously.

zerker is faster to level, does more damage, and its easy to buy slayer weapons or craft them.

Meta mages are novelty characters. They level much slower than a zerker or defense talisman. If you enjoy spending 4-14mil for a slayer spellbook, 8-10mil for all the relics + another 2-5mil in regs to level the talisman + relics.

lol I have a level 6 zerker with a Phase Relic.. I know all about how to level it up and how good it is blah, blah. This is my Mage and her Tali we are talking about though, and I happen to prefer my Mage thanks very much. ;) So maybe someone would like to respond with something a little more helpful?

Derwolf

Grandmaster
lol I have a level 6 zerker with a Phase Relic.. I know all about how to level it up and how good it is blah, blah. This is my Mage and her Tali we are talking about though, and I happen to prefer my Mage thanks very much. ;) So maybe someone would like to respond with something a little more helpful?

well if you are srs about it

kill high hp mobs - ogre lords, deamons, + deep earth eles. The event would also be a good place to get some xp.

spirit speak is a must,since xplo doesn't return mana you have to use direct dmg spells, i would spam ebolt or lightning

http://www.uoforum.com/threads/meta-mage-leveling.63995/page-2#post-466125

Andrastian

Master
well if you are srs about it

kill high hp mobs - ogre lords, deamons, + deep earth eles. The event would also be a good place to get some xp.

spirit speak is a must,since xplo doesn't return mana you have to use direct dmg spells, i would spam ebolt or lightning

http://www.uoforum.com/threads/meta-mage-leveling.63995/page-2#post-466125

Damn, that link helped a ton. I understand EVs dont gain Exp anymore and Mobs dont have infinate Exp, so thats good. And casting lighting over EB seems to be the way to go. I was killing those lizard men in one to two hits so no wonder I wasnt gaining!

Andrastian

Master
pretty sure its the same as the zerker

To Quote the Wiki

"Idol of the Magi provides spell damage bonuses in exchange for an armor penalty. The penalty is 1.6% per AR. The ten levels of the talisman average 20% bonus per level."

What do the first and second sentences mean exactly? Sorry if I sound dumb lol, just seems a little vague to me.

Derwolf

Grandmaster
To Quote the Wiki

"Idol of the Magi provides spell damage bonuses in exchange for an armor penalty. The penalty is 1.6% per AR. The ten levels of the talisman average 20% bonus per level."

What do the first and second sentences mean exactly? Sorry if I sound dumb lol, just seems a little vague to me.

say if you wearing 2ar

2 ar=3.2% xp penalty

you would gain 96.8% of talisman xp while wearing 2ar and would take a 3.2% xp penalty. You don't want to wear AR until lvl 10, ride a val swampy and embrace the nude paperdoll ^_^

Afro Man

Grandmaster
I also suggest champ spawns on your meta mage just run around ebolting all the mobs that are attacking people pets... and invest in hide/stealth
ezgif_com_add_text_raiden.gif

Arch Enemy

Grandmaster
The penalty is towards your XP gain for wearing armor. More armor = less XP gain, which makes total sense. Mages are not supposed to wear much armor.

What doesn't make sense is having to be in such close range that you can literally punch an ogre lord in the taint in order to get max xp gains. It's like they got the first part right but the second one is ass backwards. Mages are supposed to cast from a distance... that's what they do. You wouldn't make them gain max XP from wearing platemail, so why make them gain max XP by having to be literally right next to the target? The thing is already slow as balls to level. [/rant]

Afro Man

Grandmaster
The penalty is towards your XP gain for wearing armor. More armor = less XP gain, which makes total sense. Mages are not supposed to wear much armor.

What doesn't make sense is having to be in such close range that you can literally punch an ogre lord in the taint in order to get max xp gains. It's like they got the first part right but the second one is ass backwards. Mages are supposed to cast from a distance... that's what they do. You wouldn't make them gain max XP from wearing platemail, so why make them gain max XP by having to be literally right next to the target? The thing is already slow as balls to level. [/rant]
I was wrong they fixed it
1nkd8.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

SirLothar

Grandmaster
The wiki mentions about a penalty to dmg when wearing armor, not penalty to xp gains. However you can argue that obviously the more dmg the more xp. But once at max lvl 10 magi theoretically this also means you shouldn't be wearing any armor to experience max dmg.

Also the distance penalty is very old and I believe was changed ages ago. It is no longer mentioned on the wiki and see also April 2015 first bold line 12th April:

http://www.uoforum.com/threads/ultima-online-forever-progressive-patch-notes.51701/

Arch Enemy

Grandmaster
The wiki mentions about a penalty to dmg when wearing armor, not penalty to xp gains. However you can argue that obviously the more dmg the more xp. But once at max lvl 10 magi theoretically this also means you shouldn't be wearing any armor to experience max dmg.

Also the distance penalty is very old and I believe was changed ages ago. It is no longer mentioned on the wiki and see also April 2015 first bold line 12th April:

http://www.uoforum.com/threads/ultima-online-forever-progressive-patch-notes.51701/

The wiki also says for Focus:

"Focus - Every 60 seconds there is a chance to do (Level / 20) additional damage to the creature."

When it is actually [(Level / 20) * 100]%

I was really confused when I first got the focal relic and couldn't figure out how my damage was being calculated. Finally I believe it was eppy that said it is a percentage. Whoever writes info for the wiki doesn't word it very well, in my opinion.

Interesting to note about the patch notes saying the distance penalty has been removed. It seems like I gain more when I'm closer, but I'll have to test it out when I get home I guess.

Cino

Master
If you want to take the road of leveling a mage talisman, at the very least shadow disciple is a must have. Mainly you want to be ebolting things with a moderate to high hp, at least in the deamon type range of hp. Try not to fight things with too much magic resist like lich lords and rotting corpses because the damage will be pathetic. Events are a godsend for talisman training and you may want to binge a little when another comes along.