This is my tamer build:

animal taming 100
animal lore 100
veterinary 100
magery 100
meditation 100
musicianship 100
provocation 100

I am thinking of dropping veterinary, for either peacemaking or eval int. I think healing from a distance with magery will be more helpful overall than using bandages, as I want to focus on being a bit of a magic user. Then I realized why not take eval int to make me a full-on mage? However I was thinking peace might help me; I've never played a tamer before and hear peace is good for PvM. I'd prefer to actually be attacking mobs with magic though rather than sitting there peacing the whole time while my pets had all the fun.

I would like to do mainly PvM and some champ spawns with this build, and being able to defend myself from PKs would be nice but I don't expect to intentionally do PvP much. I want to be able to farm gold fast and also tame/sell pets for profit.

Some other questions:
- Is peacing necessary to tame things like WW, dragons, and mares?
- Does vet heal for more than magery 100 greater heal? Does vet give you more pet slots?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Razah

Apprentice
If you want to do pvm you will miss veterinary.

On harder mobs you will cure with veterinary, and heal with magery - just one is not enough.

Without veterinary you cant ress your pets, unless you have veterinary on another account or a friend that helps you.

Veterinary does give you more stable slots. Gm animal taming, lore and vet gives you eight (i think).

I dont understand the peace question? You will train their skills while fighting other mobs.

VFingerDiscount

Grandmaster
You will not be able to keep up with higher end monsters damage to your pets without med when healing you will run out of mana

Sent from Baja 1997 - ICQ 12013388

Lopsang

Master
Vet is pretty important as a tamer. You will run out of mana fast with gheals and not have any mana to ebolt etc.

Bobaganoosh

Master
Peaceing is worthless IMO. I had 120 and failed all the time. The mobs do not stay peaced long enough to make a difference. Stick with vet/provo

Kaching

Master
Peacing is worthless except while training animal taming. When you've got dragons/ww etc and provo you dont want to peace stuff... you want it fighting eachother. My "current" build is 110 taming 110 lore 105 provo 100 mage 100 vet 100 music 95 meditation. If you dont have vet you can't rez your pets and as already mentioned when fighting nasties (like ancient wyrms, ancient shadow wyrms, balrons, high lvl paragons, etc you are going to need both vet and magery to keep your pets alive... and even then I provo the monsters onto my pets on a rotation to keep one from taking all the damage. You can test out any method you like all of the skills are easy to macro/attain except taming anyways so feel free to mix up your template... but I dont think you want to do eval int, and you definitely dont want to not do vet. Now... you can be a mage/tamer instead of a bard/tamer and drop your provo/music and do eval/resist... You're not going to be quite as effective farming, but the template will be more versatile in PvP situations.

edw3rdwood

Grandmaster
I have all those skills trai
Peacing is worthless except while training animal taming. When you've got dragons/ww etc and provo you dont want to peace stuff... you want it fighting eachother. My "current" build is 110 taming 110 lore 105 provo 100 mage 100 vet 100 music 95 meditation. If you dont have vet you can't rez your pets and as already mentioned when fighting nasties (like ancient wyrms, ancient shadow wyrms, balrons, high lvl paragons, etc you are going to need both vet and magery to keep your pets alive... and even then I provo the monsters onto my pets on a rotation to keep one from taking all the damage. You can test out any method you like all of the skills are easy to macro/attain except taming anyways so feel free to mix up your template... but I dont think you want to do eval int, and you definitely dont want to not do vet. Now... you can be a mage/tamer instead of a bard/tamer and drop your provo/music and do eval/resist... You're not going to be quite as effective farming, but the template will be more versatile in PvP situations.

What were your reasons for going 110 taming/110 lore and 105 provo? For better success rates, or is there anything particular? Just curious.

Decided to definitely keep vet. Thanks for the tips everyone.

Kaching

Master
What were your reasons for going 110 taming/110 lore and 105 provo? For better success rates, or is there anything particular? Just curious.

I'm going 120/120 taming and lore for death beetles and the other pets, I just need $ for the PSs... With 100 provo I was still failing more than I liked on balrons, and especially larger paragons (ASW paragons, balron paragons, etc) at 105 I fail a lot less. When i'm 120/120/105 i'll be down to 75 meditation... I may honestly drop my magery to 90 and up my med to 85... time will tell.