The High Speed Low Drag Miner

gadric

Expert
Mining in UO is an essential but hazardous profession.
When you are mining you face danger in the guise of both monsters and PKers
First Rule of Mining: You WILL BE KILLED... Several times
Second Rule of Mining: Weight is the enemy
In order to be a High Speed Low Drag Miner you will need the following skills
Mining (as high as possible)
Blacksmith (as high as possible)
Hiding (as high as possible)
Magery (at least at 50 points)
Tinkering (at least 50 points)
You will also carry as little as possible
These are the supplies to carry
Runestones: no more than three
Recall Scroll: no more than three
Tinkers Tools: One set
Shovels: no more than three

Now once you recall into your mining area find a forge
This is going to be your base
You will then go to an area where you can mine and use Hiding. This provides some protection from monsters and PKers and allows you to still mine.
Go about mining as much as you can and put the ore in a big pile. the reason for this is that PKers do not desire ORE. They want ingots. If you drag a pile of 100 ore to the forge you going to be able to smelt the ore into ingots and maybe get away rather than keeping a store of ingots for PKers to take when they kill you.
use your Tinker Tools to make shovels so that you always have at least 2 available
It is best to recall away when you have 500 ingots or so. That way you can safely store your ingots.
Then recall back again and repeat the process

Elizabeth Gold

Grandmaster
My miner doesn't mind getting PKed. I just carry shovels and a few recall reagents. My runebook are blessed and charged with recall scrolls if needed. The ore I leave on the ground. Like you said, PKers dont like ore and will leave it alone. Af I'm about to finish, I just drag all the orepiles next to the forge, hide, start melting and recall to bank them when done. This leaves a very small window for the PKers to actually get away with ingots. If a PKer is nice enough to ress me, I often melt some ore and offer them ingots. This makes them instantly more friendly.

The major issue here is ore thieves:
  • Other miners
  • People with beetles
  • People with nearby houses who hop the orepiles into their secures (eventually gave up a good cave because of it)

I never get PKed on my miner. I just use stealth and an orcish pickaxe (Never breaks - awesome) even then, if i feel up to it i buy 5 pack horses in brit and just mine in the city. I also use the beetle to mine the little rocks around my house as well. most people think you have to mine on the mountain face, NOPE! Rocks and grayish spots on the ground work as well. My wife was PKed (by "a happy bunny") on her miner, but that was cause she was AFK and not hidden. even left the orcish pickaxe on her.

my miner's build

Mining
Hiding
Stealth
Lockpicking
Cartography
Magery
Meditation

gadric

Expert
Gonna add mining to my red so I can efficiently smelt all the piles of ore on the ground after I gank some miners
THe problem with building up mining is that those points have to come from somewhere. So you would be pulling from magery or combat skills

Elizabeth Gold

Grandmaster
I do mine about 600ish ore / 20 minutes including downtime (not cherry picking valorite). I don't think most people can't do any better than this.

Lets say an hour of mining gives you (rough estimates):
  • 1500 normal ore; Melting at 120 skill gives 60% change for doubling so 2400 ingots (compared to 2250 at 100 skill)
  • 300 mixed ore; no idea about the exact number here, but lets say you get 260ish ignots out of that.

Depending on what you can get for those ignots, i'd say somewhere between 22.000 gold and 32.000 gold. The hard part is selling them now. The demand is very limited and it seems a lot of people are picking up mining these days.

lollo

Grandmaster
I do mine about 600ish ore / 20 minutes including downtime (not cherry picking valorite). I don't think most people can't do any better than this.

Lets say an hour of mining gives you (rough estimates):
  • 1500 normal ore; Melting at 120 skill gives 60% change for doubling so 2400 ingots (compared to 2250 at 100 skill)
  • 300 mixed ore; no idea about the exact number here, but lets say you get 260ish ignots out of that.

Depending on what you can get for those ignots, i'd say somewhere between 22.000 gold and 32.000 gold. The hard part is selling them now. The demand is very limited and it seems a lot of people are picking up mining these days.

I hoped this would be more profitable!

Thanks a lot For the info

Dellan

Grandmaster
Heh, reminds me I had combat mule before.. 5x dex + mining + lj.. Worked as my material gatherer. You shoulda seen the face of red who thought I'm easy pickings.. I yelled, "NO! NOOOOO!" then jumped on my beetle and started smashing him with vanq battleaxe. Dude ran like never in his life :D

Elizabeth Gold

Grandmaster
See this is as
Heh, reminds me I had combat mule before.. 5x dex + mining + lj.. Worked as my material gatherer. You shoulda seen the face of red who thought I'm easy pickings.. I yelled, "NO! NOOOOO!" then jumped on my beetle and started smashing him with vanq battleaxe. Dude ran like never in his life :D
See, its people like you (Miner with combatskills) and @MANKRIK (Pker with mining) who destroy UO... Whats next Mining with dragons?!

I never bothered with getting 120 Mining. If you get the +5% gloves you can smelt Valorite/Verite in one shot with 100%

Also, PKs killing gatherers has been a part of the game since it came out. We know this is a possibility, so we can either react to them and find a way to defend ourselves, or be killed. Me i like to stick to the shadows and not be seen when mining. There are a ton of mining areas where there are forges tucked inside a little mountain cave. You can rack in some serious ingots visiting those.

For those wondering what the going prices of ingots are.

• Iron - 8 - 10 per
  • Dull Copper - 15 per
  • Shadow - 20 per
  • Copper - 25 per
  • Bronze - 35 per
  • Gold - 40 per
  • Agapite - 45 per
  • Verite - 50 per
  • Valorite - 60 per