The red blue balance

xTal

Neophyte
I'm new here but I think the solution to the blue\blue "problem" is simple. Before anyone goes on a Trammy rampage, I'm playing here because there are PKs. Having said that, PKing should be hard because the reward for doing it well is huge. Also if reds don't have enough blues to kill, the server starts to die...

UOF is on the right track with the bounty system but how many PKs are actually buying their heads back for meaningful prices? I'm guessing not many. There just isn't that much incentive to when you can log on to another red or blue character (or use a proxy), etc. and wait for stat loss to roll off. The key to a healthy server is actually decreasing the stat loss and forcing reds to play while at the same time rewarding blue characters for hunting them. Balance is required to maintain a nice red to blue ratio in the player base.

How it works:
1. Remove recall\gate to and from dungeons for all players (suck it up)
2. Increase the amount of gold found in dungeons compared to outside safer areas
3. As soon as a red player's head is turned in, he gets 10% stat loss. A player can never have more than 10% stat loss
4. To remove the stat loss, the red player must kill monsters in dungeons and "sacrifice" all of the gold up to a certain value to be determined by the admins. This amount should be substantial! This sacrifice happens automatically when a red player kills a monster. Again, these kills must be in a dungeon
5. Once the red player reaches the required amount of sacrificed gold, his stat loss is removed but the sacrificed gold is held in escrow by the server
6. The first player, red or blue, to turn in his head the next time the player dies gets all of the gold the red player sacrificed while working off his stat loss. Note: If the red player dies again and has his head turned in before sacrificing enough gold, his sacrificed gold counter gets reset to 0 and he needs to start over. The red or blue player that turn in his head gets whatever amount of sacrificed gold he had accumulated. Most likely, the red's teammate will just give the head to his friend to prevent it from being turned in. His teammate could always stab him in the back though as the claims could be anonymous. ("Someone got to your head first, sorry man!") :p

There can obviously be tweaks to the above items, it is just the general idea.

This forces reds to play during their stat loss and actually makes it worthwhile for blues to hunt them. It also rewards red players that don't suck. Simple.

Thoughts? Problems? Major holes? Let me know!

Edit: I'll propose two other components:

1. When a red corpse is created, it can't be cut up for a certain amount of time. This prevents a red teammate from easily cutting up his partners head to claim his gold when the area is contested. It should be stressed that even if this happens, the red player that died still needs to start over from 0 for sacrificed gold if his head is turned in
2. The location for depositing heads for gold should be difficult to reach for all players

Last edited by a moderator:

limlight

Grandmaster
Still easy hole. Work off stat loss....kill yourself with an alt acct at a house.

Also....if you make red in statloss...how is he supposed to kill stuff and not die again to gank squads of blues.

Your entire idea will end up with no one playing a red and thus the creation of trammel.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

xTal

Neophyte
Still easy hole. Work off stat loss....kill yourself with an alt acct at a house.

Also....if you make red in statloss...how is he supposed to kill stuff and not die again to gank squads of blues.

Your entire idea will end up with no one playing a red and thus the creation of trammel.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Why would anyone kill themselves to go back to 10% stat loss and be required to resacrafice all of the gold they just worked off (by killing more dungeon monsters)? Think about it for a bit. They gain nothing from turning in their head other than playing with perm stat loss should they continue that process.

Also, 7x 90 skill is very playable. This is especially true with a team.

Last edited by a moderator:
This system would only encourage large ganking raid parties. You would kill the solo player or a couple of friends playing in dungeons. We have a nice balance right now with what we have.

xTal

Neophyte
This system would only encourage large ganking raid parties. You would kill the solo player or a couple of friends playing in dungeons. We have a nice balance right now with what we have.

You're correct. It would most likely force red players to group together for dungeon ganks; however the reward for a blues hunting them is huge. The idea is to shift the reward for killing reds. Claiming the head of a red could be the equivalent to spending all day in a dungeon killing tier 1 monsters. It forces players back into dungeons and incentivises blue cooperation. Also, large group fights are fun as hell. ;) A red player can still solo, it just wouldn't be wise to do it in a dungeon.

What about the blue tamer though? Reds would also group together and once again doesn't solve the solo player issue.

I know for your system to work, you need your first point to work, but that's the one that I have the biggest problem with. I like the rest of what you have.

xTal

Neophyte
What about the blue tamer though? Reds would also group together and once again doesn't solve the solo player issue.

I know for your system to work, you need your first point to work, but that's the one that I have the biggest problem with. I like the rest of what you have.

Can you clarify the blue tamer point? Are you saying blue tamers could tear through a dungeon and clean out reds? Thanks!

xTal

Neophyte
No, I am saying they would have no chance for escape and they (plus pets) would be victim to your scenario.

If it became a problem, there are a few solutions that could resolve this. Off the top of my head, a new rune type could be created that costs substantially more and allows a one time recall out of a dungeon before it destroys itself. I'm all for additional gold sinks. Still, I like the idea of dungeons creating risk\reward situations.

xTal

Neophyte
Perma statloss, lower bounty cap to 30K. Call it a day.

That works but it doesn't force reds to play their characters in order to pay the bounty. The idea was to hopefully keep reds playing as reds and eliminate the need for a farming blue slot on every account.

Metalhead-

Master
I can appreciate that for sure. But I'd rather see red quality go up and quantity go down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bhall

Expert
again if pks are afraid to die they will gank more.

simply minimum bounty of 10k would fix it.
the killer can choose to demand bounty or not.
instead of all the BS....
You get statloss until you pay the minimum fee..... no matter how long you wait.
If dying too much the pk will have to play with a blue a bit.

Lexington

Grandmaster
Why does every new player think there is a problem with PKs or balance?? They judge the server before they understand it??

Normus

Neophyte
Why does every existing player think there's no room to possibly improve?

I don't think the stat system is quite right.

A) 2 days of stat is already a reason for red gank squads.
B) Current Stat loss -really- does focus more on not dying than... well, anything else.
C) Stat loss is a poor 'Risk' system. It's a punishment system.

Personally, I think counts should decay offline. 12 hours.
Perma grey on 1-2 counts.
Red on 3, 5% auto stat/skill loss.

Not enough? Add 5-10% on death for 30 minutes.

Kill all you want, at a disadvantage.

Gank squads won't go away. But lets try to encourage them to actually fight a loosing fight.

Bhall

Expert
Anyways I am not saying there is no problem.
New players intend to go where they get shot down the most..... Funny thing is that farming earth elems in shame is NOT the most profitable place as a newbie. Even if you did not get smacked the frek up 80% of the time.

I am tempted to say open up newbie dungeon for a longer periode for newbies.... but then again half of the fun is the risk of getting killed.
like it is not fun winning the lottery everytime. hmmmmm that theory has not been tested ever.
BUT It just feel better returning to town with loot if there was a possiblity that you actually didnt make it that far.

10k fee to get your skills back would really work.
If you do not have the money you will have to get it.... taking as long as it takes.
small change. less pks more anties guarding shame and despise.

Many pks either log their other char og just log out and play again tomorrow.
And not all pks just gank. There is plenty of action fighting anties.
I almost see the pks vs. anti like the true faction. would be cool if 1 faction was only for red.....
but that is another story and it would require allowing healing red guild m8s in town.

but PLEASE do not even think about the paladin crap. It didnt do any good at all.
The pks on IPY was acting like a'holes.
The more statloss the more hate. And smacking a newbie around really help on the hate part.
Statloss and trammel killed UO back in the days.

Gah now I did it again and wrote too much. Noone will even read it now.

Bhall

Expert
I do not think there should be 30 minutes statloss.
We want people to play as much as possible. I dont mind them coming back after a few minutes for more fun.
After 30 minutes im am prolly watching tv or something.

I forgot to say that 10k standard bountyfee would also make reds fight reds.
it seems like nothing but if there was a mob that dropped 10k I would be farming it :rolleyes:

a small change that changes everything.