The State of UOF (PKs and purple pots)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvilAcid

Grandmaster
To be fair i wouldn't really consider a mount an item per se?? And skills like ninjitsu negate needing a mount. Armor has more diversity. And trapped pouches are a defensive tactic and not required vs all class types. Regs? I played a stealth archer and never used a single one myself. My point is purple potions shouldn't be an end all be all requirement to one on one. It seems like more of a symptom to a bigger problem.

drasked

Grandmaster
To be fair i wouldn't really consider a mount an item per se?? And skills like ninjitsu negate needing a mount. Armor has more diversity. And trapped pouches are a defensive tactic and not required vs all class types. Regs? I played a stealth archer and never used a single one myself. My point is purple potions shouldn't be an end all be all requirement to one on one. It seems like more of a symptom to a bigger problem.

All the items i listed i need in my backpack before i can pvp properly, missing out on any of those will result in a stupid death.

Nobody in this thread that suggested changes to the current pvp mechanics has any clue about the intricacies of pvp on this shard it seems, resulting in some weird, not very well thought out suggestions.

Winstonian

Grandmaster
All the items i listed i need in my backpack before i can pvp properly, missing out on any of those will result in a stupid death.

Nobody in this thread that suggested changes to the current pvp mechanics has any clue about the intricacies of pvp on this shard it seems, resulting in some weird, not very well thought out suggestions.
It's really that outlandish to suggest that you should need Alchemy for potions to deal damage? Really? (Considering that has been implemented in UO in the past.)

Winstonian

Grandmaster
Yes because it would pretty much force people to use alchemy if they want to pvp.
... right. If they want the benefit, they have to invest skill points. Which is how it has been in the past. (Outlandish?)

Then, you make a practically dead PvP skill like Parrying legitimate by having it counter expl potions. Now, Parrying has usefulness against both mages and dexers.

Next, alchy mages meet waves of parry dexers. In those fights, Alchemy is practically a wasted skill. Mages get pissed. Mages invest in either scribe or healing on alt chars to help against parry dexers.

It shouldn't be one build fits all. The "rock-paper-scissors" style of build variety is great for PvP.

drasked

Grandmaster
... right. If they want the benefit, they have to invest skill points. Which is how it has been in the past. (Outlandish?)

Then, you make a practically dead PvP skill like Parrying legitimate by having it counter expl potions. Now, Parrying has usefulness against both mages and dexers.

Next, alchy mages meet waves of parry dexers. In those fights, Alchemy is practically a wasted skill. Mages get pissed. Mages invest in either scribe or healing on alt chars to help against parry dexers.

It shouldn't be one build fits all. The "rock-paper-scissors" style of build variety is great for PvP.

giphy.gif

EvilAcid

Grandmaster
Eh, the pvp on uof really seems to pale in comparison in diversity and challenge compared to many many other existing games. Not saying it is terrible, but to have to rely on purple potions for kills as stated sounds a bit absurd. Honestly being able to set up proper macros is probably the more challenging part of uo in it's current form. I know there are a lot of other variables. So not downplaying them. I just dont think mastering the art of chucking potions is near as complicated as some would say it is. No hate here though. Do as you guys do.

Winstonian

Grandmaster
Eh, the pvp on uof really seems to pale in comparison in diversity and challenge compared to many many other existing games. Not saying it is terrible, but to have to rely on purple potions for kills as stated sounds a bit absurd. Honestly being able to set up proper macros is probably the more challenging part of uo in it's current form. I know there are a lot of other variables. So not downplaying them. I just dont think mastering the art of chucking potions is near as complicated as some would say it is. No hate here though. Do as you guys do.
Verbatim.

drasked

Grandmaster

I'm not saying the current pvp mechanics are perfect. I just don't see how limiting explo potions to the alchemy skill and making parry block explo potions improves anything.

Kears

Master

I commented two times about explo pot and their dmg over the course of 2-3 years playing UOF, each time was shot down, gunned down, ignored, whatever you call it. I can see your arguments are totally valid and make a lot of sense but unfortunately you are fighting a losing battle without much support because imo most who cannot get used to the explo pot pvp eventually "left" pvp alone and do other things, those that still lurk around the forums are likely winners of this "explo pot" arguments. Don't get me wrong, we (hope i can speak for the rest) all love UOF, but we don't like the pvp with explo pot throwings. By the way, if I want to run from a fight, I want to be able to escape and not killed by homing missiles. Pvp doesn't mean a fight to the death, or one must certainly die. Pvp means outwitting and outsmarting your opponent one way or another. Have one ever wondered, if explo pots are out of the way, perhaps people may like that they actually have a chance at winning and stop the running?

You made a totally valid point, if they want to use homing missiles, make sure they invest in a skill that allows them to use it. Alchemy 60 - can use normal explo pot. Alchemy 100 - can use greater explo pot. Remove the bonus damage that comes with increased Alchemy, the current dmg explo pot does is already lethal as it is.

Another idea to suggest would be:
Set all pot throwing to only target ground. Thereafter, Alchemy 60 - can use normal explo pot. Alchemy 90 - can use greater explo pot. Alchemy 100 - allows your pot throwing to target players.

Last edited by a moderator:

EvilAcid

Grandmaster
Bluntly put. The template builds and over reliance on explosion potions as an offensive is dull and borish. Have most of the pro explosion potion (in it's current state)peoples even played the later expansions? I returned at the time of high seas. And the pvp mechanics and additonal builds and weapon revamps were damn fun, diverse and challenging. Templates were not pigeon holed. I really have no dog in the fight. I just believe people can be susceptible to tunnel vision when they have not experienced things outside their comfort zone.

Malkraven

Grandmaster
Bluntly put. The template builds and over reliance on explosion potions as an offensive is dull and borish. Have most of the pro explosion potion (in it's current state)peoples even played the later expansions? I returned at the time of high seas. And the pvp mechanics and additonal builds and weapon revamps were damn fun, diverse and challenging. Templates were not pigeon holed. I really have no dog in the fight. I just believe people can be susceptible to tunnel vision when they have not experienced things outside their comfort zone.

if people wanted the new UO mechanics over the older UO mechanics then im pretty sure they would play a aos+ based server not a UOR era ?

People play this era since they like the way things work.

purple pots are probably the only way to stop people from escaping 99% of the time espically with no mount stam , no bolas, no wands

Darkarna

Grandmaster
I really think that the original poster brings a lot of build diversity with the suggestions provided, however, I also think that infinite running needs to be addressed by either introducing stamina drain for mounts or *wait for it* implementing bolas. Okay, I know I have been 'opinionated' regarding bolas in the past, more so because of the reasons regarding ethereal mounts but there might be a solution to that problem.

When using bolas against someone who uses ethereal mounts, as said before, instead of dismounting add a slowing effect which lasts for a decided amount of seconds. When used against someone riding a standard mount which includes meta's, standard horses and llamas, mares etc, the player is dismounted but the mount can not move, uses a death animation and is invulnerable to attacks for the duration of the bola *pretty much the same time as an ethereal mount user.* If this displeases then make bolas slow all mount users the same as ethereal mount users. This would put a stop to infinite running, provide a new item for the market to be crafted, the prevention of ganking mounts and add an extra bit of content for game-play *feel free to change or enhance.* The other option is to not implement them of course.

The same thing for wands really, wands should have been added a long time ago in my opinion, the market which they create is gigantic they can be farmed, they can be stolen or looted and with a little bit of work, they could be implemented to work for the benefit of everyone on here. Wands could require spirit speak to use effectively, they could have a mana cost per charge, there could be a cool-down after each use, there could be a slight chance of negative use where the wand discharges *lightning wands* causing a small amount of damage to the user, greater heal wands would inflict a poison dot level 2 while mini heal wands would inflict level 1 poison, mana drain wands would obviously reduce the mana of the user if they spam charges or they could be left just as they are. Wands could also have their own build associated with them, which means if you do not meet a set criteria you will get diminishing returns from using the wand, this could also apply to bolas.

I know there will be for and against with everything on here, I mean, it would be incredibly boring if everyone agreed and I must admit, this thread has been relatively peaceful which means, there is still hope for humanity.

Winstonian

Grandmaster
if people wanted the new UO mechanics over the older UO mechanics then im pretty sure they would play a aos+ based server not a UOR era ?

People play this era since they like the way things work.

purple pots are probably the only way to stop people from escaping 99% of the time espically with no mount stam , no bolas, no wands
Good. Then make purple pots splash and hit innocents and I'm on board. You want era accurate? Give me era accurate. Thst way, pots would disappear completely in most places. My suggestion is keeping them in the game and adding validity to a skill rarely used in PvP.

Malkraven

Grandmaster
Good. Then make purple pots splash and hit innocents and I'm on board. You want era accurate? Give me era accurate. Thst way, pots would disappear completely in most places. My suggestion is keeping them in the game and adding validity to a skill rarely used in PvP.

im down with splash dmg we have even sugested it many times but would need to be blues cant hit blues or im just gonna sit at brit bridge and turn every blue i see throwing pots red .

drasked

Grandmaster

You think that introducing splash damage to pots like how it was on uoforever will make pots disappear completely in most places? How so?

Winstonian

Grandmaster
im down with splash dmg we have even sugested it many times but would need to be blues cant hit blues or im just gonna sit at brit bridge and turn every blue i see throwing pots red .
That's the point. If pots splash, players won't throw them for the risk of getting counted (on a blue) or getting whacked (as a red). This game is based around griefing... you wouldn't be the only one giving counts to blues.

Winstonian

Grandmaster
You think that introducing splash damage to pots like how it was on uoforever will make pots disappear completely in most places? How so?
Who said uoforever? I'm saying that, if pots splashed and damaged anyone and everyone within the explosion, their use would decline. A lot of players would just fight in town, and those that rely on pot throwing would have to go elsewhere.

Winstonian

Grandmaster
It's funny. I have proposed a suggestion that keeps expl potions in the game, in towns, at the cost of investing skill points and providing a countering mechanic. Those that disagree with that would just rather they splash, which would prevent them from being used in town at all.

No sense does that make.

Status
Not open for further replies.