THE TRAMMY POLL (ALERT) : what is best to make gold, fishing or tmapping?

What is the best way for trammies to make zillions?

• Total voters

yourdaddy

Grandmaster
So I was arguing with trammy @Nanashi over wheter my trammy opinion was better than his or not.

He thinks tmapping is more profitable.

I think fishing is more profitable.

Here's my average income fishing. Let's discuss what you guys make while doing any of these activies.

So I never fish without having at least 150 MIBs. This way, they are close enough to one another to fish 8 to 12 chests per hour.

There's about 15k worth of gold per chest. I pay my MIBs 2k. That's a net income of 13k. An average of 130k per hour + the rares I loot on Osiredon from time to time (seems like it has a 2% chance to spawn at 115 fishing).

I don't count the weapons I keep in that 15k. Sometimes I get 3 good weapons. Sometimes none.

Now, the ancients MIBs. I fished 8 today. I did it slowly while doing many other things, so I wasn't efficient, but considering how close they were, I'm sure it would have took me somewhere around an hour and a half to fish them.

Here's my loot :

160k gold pieces after selling shitty weapons and armor to NPC
Approx 50k worth of weapons I kept. I don't count the armor I keep cause it's worthless.
Around 3k reags, so, say... 10k maybe
8 PW chests (I was unlucky). I had 3 wooden worth 20k each, 4 metal with borders I sell 10k and 1 metal without border I sell 8k, for a total of 108k
I got around 10 MIBs, that I will value at 2k per for 20k.

I also got 2 blaze sea horses statues, worth 500k each (400 on the very low end), 1 ice blue sea horse (idk how much is worth, so I'll say 150) and a regular hue one that I sell at 80k (which is quite low).

I also got a snake statuette (the thin one), worth around 150k if I'm not mistaken.

Total value of the statues fished : 1.2 mil on the low end (counted 400k per blaze)

That's a total value of 1.4 mil for 8 ancient MIBs.

How much do you make with fishing? And carto?

Debateeeeee which one is best.

yourdaddy

Grandmaster
Forgot to mention I had to buy the ancient MIBs. Substract 200k (25 each) so my profit is 1.2 mil, assuming I'll sell the statues, and that I will do so at a fair price.

Messremb

Grandmaster
With the addition of paragon mobs on t-chests the gap in the income is marginal. Prior to the paragon mobs the cost of the maps made a huge difference in the potential income. Now you have about 25% chance of getting a map of a higher level for every map you do. Also the price of maps has recently come down quite a bit.

That said if your lucky fishing will win cause you get rares. I have been unlucky, I did 12 fabled nets and got no rares... And I have only gotten one rare chest. I have sold several osiredon rares but have only had one spawn in my last 120ish mibs and he didn't drop anything.

If you want numbers
fishing 100-150k an hour with no rares
t maps (I did 4 level 4s, 3 level 5s, and 3 level 6 maps) took me about 2 and a half hours. Got 2 level 5 maps and 2 level 6 maps off paragons so I am only calculating 48k in map costs. I made 350k gold -48k= about 300k for 2 and a half hours so 120k

the big difference is the enjoyment factor. Maps are way more fun than fishing.

In my mind it's a toss up. Do both and make loss of money.

BeerJedi

Grandmaster
One key difference between T-Maps and MIBs... T-Map mobs will drop Skill Scrolls, including Taming Scrolls. That is the offset in my opinion.

I dont do many level 6 maps as my provo is still only GM and they are a pain, but my gold would be on fishing bringing in a bigger income. That said, it is more expensive to get into (buying boat and fishing PS.) If you want long term income go fishing, if you want to pull it some quick cash, tmapping all the way.

Don Key

Master
Good point. SS have gone down in price though.

?

I mean, lockpicking for gold. I can't even count the gold per hour I make lockpicking.

It might not hit the gp/hr that taming, tmaps and fishing do. But you also only need a bag of regs and a few lockpicks, no power scrolls or boats or 100 MIBs on your person. Plus you get to kill bards if you aren't overweight with gold.

When it comes to farming gold, lockpicking is probably the most effecient.

?

I mean, lockpicking for gold. I can't even count the gold per hour I make lockpicking.

It might not hit the gp/hr that taming, tmaps and fishing do. But you also only need a bag of regs and a few lockpicks, no power scrolls or boats or 100 MIBs on your person. Plus you get to kill bards if you aren't overweight with gold.

Ahh I thought you were pointing out how much of a pain it is to GM...

yourdaddy

Grandmaster
First, skill scrolls are to tmapping what rares are to fishing.

Most SS are easier to sell than most fishing rares, but they're also worth much less in general (the exception being taming, ofc).

So, faster money with tmaps, more money with fishing, but also more efforts (not more work time, but more patience, clearly).

As for the MIBs, @Tsavo, it takes about 10 seconds to enter 1 MIB in UOAM, so 6 per minute, about 30 minutes, maybe 40 if you get distracted.

Fattson

Grandmaster
I'm pretty sure that all of you are doing it wrong. If you wanna make zils on the reg, just donate elebenty billion dollars. Take donation coins to whoever is runnin' shit around yew bank. Get you a vendor. Load said vendor. Take zils. Buy tram cloth. Make friends with tailor who can make you tram outfits. Go to brit bank. Sit.

At least that's how i did it.

lollo

Grandmaster
With the addition of paragon mobs on t-chests the gap in the income is marginal. Prior to the paragon mobs the cost of the maps made a huge difference in the potential income. Now you have about 25% chance of getting a map of a higher level for every map you do. Also the price of maps has recently come down quite a bit.

That said if your lucky fishing will win cause you get rares. I have been unlucky, I did 12 fabled nets and got no rares... And I have only gotten one rare chest. I have sold several osiredon rares but have only had one spawn in my last 120ish mibs and he didn't drop anything.

If you want numbers
fishing 100-150k an hour with no rares
t maps (I did 4 level 4s, 3 level 5s, and 3 level 6 maps) took me about 2 and a half hours. Got 2 level 5 maps and 2 level 6 maps off paragons so I am only calculating 48k in map costs. I made 350k gold -48k= about 300k for 2 and a half hours so 120k

the big difference is the enjoyment factor. Maps are way more fun than fishing.

In my mind it's a toss up. Do both and make loss of money.

Are you using a tamer?

Otherwise I don't see how you can decode those maps, look where the spots are, use rune library, kill all the spawn, loot the chests (level 5 and 6 have so much shit in them it take 10 mins minimum just to loot), id the items and sell all the trash (gems, weapons etc) in 2 and a half hours.

If i'm solo with my bard i can do maybe 3 level 5 in one hour. But then again, i'm still kinda "new" to the profession.

?

i made a gm lockpicker thinking i'd get easy gold, but when i go through my lockpicking runebooks half the spots are already looted, the other half contains maybe 400 gp and some bs armour. Only profitable place is khaldun if you happen to find all the chests unlooted. (btw, i have gm hiding, stealth, lockpick and remove trap, so I don't think it's possible to do it more efficiently than this. I'm basically hidden ALL the time so spawn isn't a problem and i'm doing everything as fast as possible)

Skye Wolfbane

Governor of Trinsic
To me, fishing is better for a few reasons. It's way safer and way easier. So if you want to count stress levels, fishing is better. You fight 2 mobs. Easily done solo. Tmaps to be the most profitable need to be Devious or Ingenious and those are hard to solo. Tmaps are better to do with friends, high end ones anyway but then you're splitting the loot. All in all, they're probably about equal if all things are considered. But if you want to make some decent gold, in a nonstress environment I say fishing is the best bet. Also, need less skills. No maps to decode. Just plug coordinates into UOAM.

Bunnky

Grandmaster
For me, it depends. If I'm after good loot, I tmap. It's also convenient with a tmap library.

If I just want to relax, listen to some tunes while I boat around the world, ill fish. Fishing is most certainly more "fun" for me, but I find I get more gold and items out of tmapping devious+, and this isn't to mention the paragons that spawn now.

I thought it was an interesting idea to have so many MIBs that you fish up all the closest ones. That's a great idea I never thought of! Plus I feel safer tmapping. I guess getting pirated by 5 people, boat blocked and losing my ship makes me wary to go out to sea now :/

(never lost a ship, but I refuse to have to buy a new one)