Thief

Mac Beth

Hello guys!

I'm pretty new here and got a few questions. I decided to play a thief but I'm not sure how should I make for living. Could you give me some tips how to play it? Skills,stats, tips guides, anything usefull. I've tried to steal from players, which is really fun, but got killed instantly almost all the time because of guards. Btw some macros tips would be nice too.

now I play with 100 str,dex and 25 int.
skills I have GM stealing,snooping,hiding,stealh and detecting hidden(last one is not rly helpfull I guess)
Thanks for ur answers,

regards Mac Beth...

illusion

Master
The traditional thief is boring, you wont really steal anything of huge value because most the rares on this server are blessed. The best you will get in day to day "hunting" is some magic weapons. Plus you get guard whacked about 50% on this server.

I think a decent build is to be a thief and mix it with some warrior skills.
Take the following build for example:

Stealing
Snooping
Hiding
Healing
Anatomy
Tactics
Mace Fighting

(Don't take Stealth with this build because you will be mounted). Your goal here is to steal small items from people, nothing really worth value, but you will turn grey to them, try to provoke them to attack you, then you whip out your QSTAFF and kill them... loot all their items...
  • Trick here is to steal their bandages / regs while you are fighting them so they will randomly not be able to heal or cast spells, then their stamina is low because you've been hitting them with a mace item and they can't run...
  • You are a king outside of the towns, as you could steal from people freely without worrying about getting guard whacked, but you can still use this character intown as well.
  • Plus, when thiefing is slow, you can run to lich spawns and still farm gold by other means with this character.

Also, a very important skill with a theif is learning to use last target. Keep a noobied dagger in your pack, and target a weapon someone is wearing. Then kindof lurk around them, but dont scare them away. Right when they cast a spell (Recall usually) run over to them and use steal + last target, and the weapon is yours...

Jager

Grandmaster
i roll with a "grief thiefe" as i like to call it, Anatomy/wrestle/arms lore, i can stun and disarm, i have many many weapons in his bank., i dont stick around to fight at all, im in and out like the wind. ppl get pissed cuz they think if they can re equip another weapon fast they can still kill me, but that just adds another weapon to my bank. all in fun

Struan

Expert
How does stun work most times into that play style?

I don't have a thief...so bare with me. So you run up..disarm and steal from pack. Then you go grey and they attack.so you stun and run?

One more question...what is the failure rate on disarm?

Mac Beth

And what about power scrolls? I've read something about it, that it can be a nice catch. How can I get them?

Jager

Grandmaster
stun and disarm both have to be activated, i usually go on a hunt, ill find someone with a nice weapon and target it, then try and start a scrap with him, make myself look like a mage or warrior, then disarm weapon and gone, if you attack first, u can get a kill count, and then if i do get into a scrap im usually just playing around with them, cuz i now have there weapon, and yea if you need to stun and run and your out, my thiefe has actually only been killed by guards. and power scrolls are a great steal if you can find someone dumb enough to have it in there backpack, and skill scrolls, and i think you can steal both from mobs, skill scrolls for sure, not 100% on powerscrolls

Riversilk

Master
SoPs spawn in backpack when you kill a champion so no, you can't steal them from the champion itself because they are not part of its "real" loot.

Scumdog17

Neophyte
I am about to make my first stealth dungeon picking thief and was just wondering what are the ideal attributes (STR,DEX,INT) for this char?
I plan on lurking in dungeons for grey looting dead adventurers, picking chests, and the occaisional snooping steal. I also want to be able to pick targets of opportunity while in town around banks. here is my planned template, i plan on avoiding combat at all costs! I figure I can also work as a scout and informant for pkers or pk hunters, just for a little underworld roleplay

GM Stealing
GM Hiding
GM Stealth
GM LP
GM Remove Trap
Some mix if these skills to fill out 7x

Tracking for finding afk or distracted marks

Magery for travel/utility

Detect Hidden for finding potential afk or distracted marks

I also could use a tip for what three skills to take first based on what i can and cant buy up to 50

Kraden

Grandmaster
Does anyone know if Stealing and such checks Dex? So is there a reason to have 100 Dex? Besides more stam and swinging faster

Dewderonomy

Grandmaster
I don't think the stats affect much outside of pools (health, stamina, mana). From what I understand of stats (at least how they were, not necessarily here):

-Strength can affect damage, with every 10 points being 2% damage increase.

-Dexterity under 60 suffers a penalty to Parrying (might have been a later implementation).

-Intelligence increases Meditation rate (again, might have been a later implementation).

Anything more than that was post-AoS. The stats on UO have always been pretty much backseat players to determining success; Dexterity doesn't help with accuracy, just gives you more maximum stamina to swing faster with.