Thieves... Question

zaxtor99

Apprentice
I see a lot of people suggesting putting valuable common thieves targets like regs or valorite ingots into a pouch and then locking it with the 2nd level lock box spell, that way when it is snooped it blows up and alerts you a thief is snooping you, giving you time to get out of harms way.

Is that the best advice to avoid getting crap stolen all the time when browsing popular player vendors, etc?

Also, don't thieves have a simple steal 'random item' from someones pack that they can do? And the bigger question is could that random item be something in that magic-locked pouch?

I need good anti-thief advice, i'm tired of feeding these slimy bastards. lol.

halygon

Grandmaster
Uh, got a few mix ups here . To prevent stealing, these items must be in a BOX not pouch or bag. BOXes can be magically locked, which means they are un-snoopable. This also means nothing can be stolen out of it.

Magical trap is what you do to pouches so that you can have a way to escape being paralyzed.

jkg8787

Master
Depending on what assistant they use there is ways around everything. But really for simple prevention just NEVER let anyone near you unless you know them. Even the dude in full plate armor holding a weapon, don't let him next to you. Zero chances.

Other than that what I usually do is put something in a second pouch and then cover it up with gold pile or a cape or something. They can still get to that, but it's an extra step for them to find it "hiding" in your inventory.

zaxtor99

Apprentice
Yes it's obvious that you don't wanna let anyone come up and stand next to you. But can't they hide and sneak up next to you without you even knowing?

Also thanks halygon. So buy a small wooden box, and trap it with that same level 2 magic trap spell right? If they snoop that, will it explode alerting you, or is it not even possible for them to snoop that? or is it a different spell altogether I need to use?

halygon

Grandmaster
Yes it's obvious that you don't wanna let anyone come up and stand next to you. But can't they hide and sneak up next to you without you even knowing?

Also thanks halygon. So buy a small wooden box, and trap it with that same level 2 magic trap spell right? If they snoop that, will it explode alerting you, or is it not even possible for them to snoop that? or is it a different spell altogether I need to use?
Don't get a trapped ones as trapped boxes are bugged on uof. Just a lockable one. Lock it with the key or magic lock.. Either way it will make it impossible for the items inside it to be snooped or stolen... There are no ways around that.

zaxtor99

Apprentice
Excellent info halygon. But wait.. one question. I make a small wooden box. I trap it with the 3rd level spell "magic lock". Obviously I have to unlock it with magic unlock before being able to put stuff inside it, (more regs lets say). But can a snooping thief hidden in the shadows right next to me cast magic unlock themselves on it while it's in my pack? Would that work.. even though they would obviously show up having to cast that spell.. but would that work? or could they 'lockpick' a magically locked box while in the shadows?

halygon

Grandmaster
Excellent info halygon. But wait.. one question. I make a small wooden box. I trap it with the 3rd level spell "magic lock". Obviously I have to unlock it with magic unlock before being able to put stuff inside it, (more regs lets say). But can a snooping thief hidden in the shadows right next to me cast magic unlock themselves on it while it's in my pack? Would that work.. even though they would obviously show up having to cast that spell.. but would that work? or could they 'lockpick' a magically locked box while in the shadows?
They can neither hit it with magic unlock or with lockpicks. Like I said, there is no way to steal it once in a locked chest on ya. The only exception to this is if they loot it off your corpse.

Risky

Neophyte
one stupid noob question... how do i lock boxes in UO? im new here.. i bought the key and it doesnt do anything beyond make a copy of another key... help

Kraden

Grandmaster
I see a lot of people suggesting putting valuable common thieves targets like regs or valorite ingots into a pouch and then locking it with the 2nd level lock box spell, that way when it is snooped it blows up and alerts you a thief is snooping you, giving you time to get out of harms way.

Is that the best advice to avoid getting crap stolen all the time when browsing popular player vendors, etc?

Also, don't thieves have a simple steal 'random item' from someones pack that they can do? And the bigger question is could that random item be something in that magic-locked pouch?

I need good anti-thief advice, i'm tired of feeding these slimy bastards. lol.

If you dont afk then just keep stuff i a trapped puch. If it pops u know ur gettin snooped

SteelSexi

Master
LOL Kraden. Halygon looks to still be correct... as long as the total weight of the box and the stuff inside of it is over 10 stones. He stated that it cannot be opened with either lock picks by a thief or with the magic unlock spell by a thief. And those statements look to be accurate.

Well.. he did also say there is NO WAY stuff in a locked box can be stolen, and I guess that is incorrect because if it weighs under 10 total stones.. then yes the whole box could be stolen. and then the thief could simply use magic unlock or lock pick into it. I can't see it being too difficult to keep the weight at 10 stones however, and if it was ever less then 10 total stones, a thief wouldn't get too much for their trouble. I certainly don't walk around with 120 taming power scrolls and million gold checks in my box. ;-) it's my reg box. And if it weighs less then 10 stones, it wouldn't be a lot of value anyhow.

Kraden

Grandmaster
Lol, doubt it will ever be under ten stones.

Yeah thats all I meant, if its ten stones or less it can be snagged cause ive done it multiple times, just gave up cause I either go grey for attempting to steal it and it being over weight, or I snag an empty chest

halygon

Grandmaster
Yeah thats all I meant, if its ten stones or less it can be snagged cause ive done it multiple times, just gave up cause I either go grey for attempting to steal it and it being over weight, or I snag an empty chest
I always have 15stones of potions in the box in case I run out of regs also :p