This House Is In Danger Of Collapsing

Apocal

Journeyman
Hate to say it but this isn't true.

As long as what the past employer is stating is true, they can legally disclose the the reason for the termination.

Work in the law, have given reason for the termination of past employees when specifically asked for.

OP best thing you can do is tell the company you are trying to get hired by that you are still currently employed at the job you were fired from, don't want them to know that you are looking for another job and would appreciate it if they wouldn't call for a reference as you fear they may terminate your employment for seeking another job.

Only down side is if they decide to call anyway then you're definitely not getting hired for lying. Risky I know but having an ex-employer tell them you were fired for sexual harassment is a pretty big blow unless you are being interviewed by somebody who is extremely understanding to the situation. Your call, just a bit of friendly advice to think about.

I don't know what field of work you are in but it's done in the legal field all the time and is generally accepted at face value. I've done this every time I went on an interview with a potential employer and I've never had anyone call or not been hired for asking for that courtesy.

That's a rough situation and wish you the best of luck OP.

Don't have a link to anything more concrete but here is a quick link I found to back up my assertion.

http://employment-law.freeadvice.com/employment-law/hiring/employer_references.htm

"When you leave a job or are fired, your previous employer may generally disclose any information about your past performance as long as the information is true. For example, if you were terminated from your job for stealing or as a result of poor performance, your employer may share these details with prospective employers. Your previous employer cannot, however, make statements that are false or defamatory. If this happens, you may be able to file a lawsuit for defamation of character."

This is dependent upon the state. California, for instance, doesn't say.

Just putting it out there, as a guy has to eat:

If you feel that the reason that they fired you was not sufficient enough, aka you really did just ask the woman out, I would go to a legal site and learn how to write them a letter indicating that you are going to sue them. Sometimes they settle quickly for a decent enough amount of money to get you back on your feet. They don't want to go through the legal battle. Even in an at will state.

Also: Read this. http://www.hcareers.com/us/resourcecenter/tabid/306/articleid/662/default.aspx

And ask your prior HR department what their policy is on communicating termination (do they communicate it at all) as well as termination reasons.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ripstas

Master
Yea. In Washington they can't say why you were fired. The only thing they can say is "we would not re hire them. Or. "We would re hire them". For this reason no one calls past employers.

thriftyuoplayer

Grandmaster
well now everyone knows I lied about the loot..
Sorry to those who died trusting me.. was just having fun before i go homeless..

I still dropped the house, how much funnier would it have been if I didn't drop it :D.

Silly Santa

Grandmaster
I got a job... Still homeless...

It wasn't a joke, I dropped a nice size house plot.. and it had "loot", I just exaggerated exactly how much there was..

My bad bro , looking back on my last post from 2 weeks ago. To be honest - idk what i even based that assumption on with having thought it was a joke. I might have jumped to that conclusion with viewing Freddy Von's post above in a particular way. Sorryyy tho.

Anyways - im happy to hear that you got a new job.. I hope sometime soon it helps you to find a place to live. By the way - if you ever decide to play UOF again - hit me up. I will help you get restarted with a new house + regs, etccc :)

Cack

Grandmaster
Motivational_c2c20a_121269.jpg

CarpeNoctem

Novice
There is absolutely no reason any other potential employer should know about the circumstances of you being let go from your previous job. The only thing they are legally allowed to share is just to verify that you were employed there at the time you claimed in your resume.

This is correct in the State of Washington. As long as you didn't burn the place down and it is public record, in this state you have a right to earn a living and the previous employer saying anything but confirming you worked there - that is detrimental to you earning a wage. Illegal.

Sources: L&I Law affiliation work in Seattle, WA.