Tougher Pack Animals

heresaucer

Neophyte
I'm talking pack animals, like the pack horse or pack llama.

I know using pack animals especially with resource gathering, is a risk/reward thing. You want to load up on resources and not make as many trips? Well take a slow animal that can be killed by anything in game, if you get hit it's a bigger lose but your paying for the convenience. It balances itself out, nicely. I get that.

With that said, why not add to it? What about different pack animals, maybe even monsters? An Ettin, Ogre, Troll, Orc etc. I was thinking only repond monsters, and instead of being "pack" animals they would be more like "indentured" servants :D

Benefits: Would have a MUCH higher strength rating, more defensive/escapability in the case of eles and PK's respectively. If you have a pack monster in the repond family, no spawn in the repond family will aggro you unless provoked first. They travel with when you recall.

Negatives: You cant have a mount while having one as a follower, and you can only have one of these "pack" creatures as a follower at a time. Plus since it will have alot more storage space its a bigger hit if you get pk'd.

They shouldn't be higher end monsters and I don't think there should be many at all to chose from, maybe only 2-3 or 4 at the most, so it stays practical and doesn't turn into a new piece of deco.. Crafters shouldn't be able to camp spawn with what is essentially a pack animal. The examples above can't be used to kill any spawn effectively but If a higher end monster is used, it gets a nerf so that using it offensively is impractical.

Make them available from NPC animal vendors only, make them expensive.

No monsters that can be tamed with the Animal Taming skill should be used, like Drakes, Dragons or Nightmares. I think 2 gm crafting skills should be requirement before you can buy and use one. No transfer-ability between players.

Blue Beatles are WAY more useful than other pack animals, and probably would be more so than these since it is a mount. But it was a random idea I had, and what I came up with can be changed. I don't know how hard it would be to implement, or if its practical thats why I'm posting it.

Theres bigger issues and features I'm sure you guys are looking at. I dont think it's to far out of the norm for Ultima that it would feel non authentic, or ruin the nostalgia some feel from their pre AoS time playing on the OSI shards.