Town Gate Mall

EnviousGL

Grandmaster
I think having random spamming/gates in the roads by bank is sort of foolish. Its effective, but it is annoying with the spam and whatnot.

Why not consolidate these gate. My idea is to change that bank indoor room of WBB into a 'gate mall'.
Replace the chests with 'rent-able' gates.We will need a contract system of some kind, or have a gm/dev/whoever set it up for you.
I think having it be set up will make any problems of trolling/monoply stuff almost obsolete.

As in if you click an empty lot- a menu comes up. You'd place in a rune you wish to be gated (has to be a player vendor, for the most part). Probably still needs to be OKed by staff.

It could have a payment option of 1, two, or three months contract. You would pay the entire fee up front.
I think we can allow permanent placement basically if you pay the fee, and are in communication about staff...Just so you dont go afk the entire duration.

Once your contract expires you have to either get approval from staff, or wait one week to hire another. Only reason for this is I'd hate to see the spots trolled by an entire guild and then its useless.

If its found a rune goes to somewhere other than at least a starting shop, half your money is kept and you must wait 30 days before you can rent again.

Suggestions on this idea are welcome...

It would help clean up the streets, literally.
Plus if you want to go shopping, you walk into that back room and go in the gates.

The gates could have a title. Small description of the gate could be placed in a locked book infront of the vendor. Gate itself probably just the shop name, or players name.

I vote the fee be rather high, but not ridiculous. It will be a great gold sink.

I think 50,000 per month is more than fair, possibly even too low.
If you are gating a mall with several people renting spots, you can make people pitch into the fee if necessary.

If they are too cheap- trolling will be much easier I feel.

The gate would just be open through the duration of the contract.

Faction players can not use these gates, period. It would cause mass transit crap...sigils...raids...escapes...

Akillah

Grandmaster
50k, pshhh, let's see i charge 5k x 30, you tryna take my profits?
original

Silly Santa

Grandmaster
I think having random spamming/gates in the roads by bank is sort of foolish. Its effective, but it is annoying with the spam and whatnot.

Why not consolidate these gate. My idea is to change that bank indoor room of WBB into a 'gate mall'.
Replace the chests with 'rent-able' gates.We will need a contract system of some kind, or have a gm/dev/whoever set it up for you.
I think having it be set up will make any problems of trolling/monoply stuff almost obsolete.

As in if you click an empty lot- a menu comes up. You'd place in a rune you wish to be gated (has to be a player vendor, for the most part). Probably still needs to be OKed by staff.

It could have a payment option of 1, two, or three months contract. You would pay the entire fee up front.
I think we can allow permanent placement basically if you pay the fee, and are in communication about staff...Just so you dont go afk the entire duration.

Once your contract expires you have to either get approval from staff, or wait one week to hire another. Only reason for this is I'd hate to see the spots trolled by an entire guild and then its useless.

If its found a rune goes to somewhere other than at least a starting shop, half your money is kept and you must wait 30 days before you can rent again.

Suggestions on this idea are welcome...

It would help clean up the streets, literally.
Plus if you want to go shopping, you walk into that back room and go in the gates.

The gates could have a title. Small description of the gate could be placed in a locked book infront of the vendor. Gate itself probably just the shop name, or players name.

I vote the fee be rather high, but not ridiculous. It will be a great gold sink.

I think 50,000 per month is more than fair, possibly even too low.
If you are gating a mall with several people renting spots, you can make people pitch into the fee if necessary.

If they are too cheap- trolling will be much easier I feel.

The gate would just be open through the duration of the contract.

Faction players can not use these gates, period. It would cause mass transit crap...sigils...raids...escapes...

I like this idea... I suggested something similar a while ago - but it got no reply from staff :(

This is a good "gold sink" idea btw :)

Tearloch

Grandmaster
They wouldn't even need separate gates. It could be set up like a moon gate where you get a gump to select the location you want to gate to. I guess it would then have to open said gate (unlike the moon gates) but you get my point.
Rental fees would be a nice gold sink. Renters could even state a category for their location to appear in the gump such as BODs, rares, general store, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cack

Grandmaster
This is a terrible idea. First, when a new player joins a shard first thing he does is go to wbb to see if it's populated...he may not go in their bank and see no vendors/litte other players.
Second forcing people into a small area is never a good idea. Third charging peope on top of a rental vendor contract and the charge per day of a vender is stupid. And finally how would you regulate someone opening a gate to their vendor? Would you say you can't do that at the bank anymore, have staff use the RCs to disallow gate travel casting?
Tl dr; brit bank is exactly how it should be. Don't fix something that isn't broken.

Streets

Grandmaster
Ok here is the thing, part of the memory of uo is people buying and seeing at wbb. It's apart of history that needs to be preserved. Once you become more secure with money you buy a house and and a vendor or rent a vendor location. It's part of the social aspect of the game makes us all interact with each other.

Now look at games with no social trading like wow. It's all done on an auction house nobody talks nobody has a reputation of being the best smith or the best mall or an always stocked vendor. It's all about buisness and who can under cut the other guy when there is much more to an economy than this.

I am not bashing you for this idea just wanted to point out that a side affect of this idea would take away from what ultima online really is.

Tearloch

Grandmaster
WBB is a cesspool of spam. Players don't "hang out" near the bank because it is almost impossible to communicate there. How many new players have you watched run from robo-gater to robo-gater trying to ask honest questions about how to play the game? It usually takes them a while to figure out that all those "players" populating the WBB area are people that aren't even online....
Forcing people into a small area? Seriously, nobody will be forced into anything. It is a consolidation of vendor gates that will allow WBB to become a functional area again.
As far as paying fees for this service, you seem to forget that it already costs money for vendor house owners to spam gates. I wonder how much @halygon spends a week on his gate service. That is why I never bitched about paying him weekly fees for vendor spots because I know it costs him to keep foot traffic coming to his shop. This suggestion will simply streamline the process for shop owners.
Nobody seemed to mind that the docks were a gate free area. In fact the docks is where actual players conduct business. That is what WBB should be.

Streets

Grandmaster
The difference is when a player macros gating service it's player driven the client can crash loose connection or be shut down. It's not a perminent static feature. It's a player being creative. These "robo gaters" are real accounts, and even if looping events are still adding to a social atmosphere.

If you are so die hard on having a gate with fees why not run a robot vendor yourself?

Tearloch

Grandmaster
@Streets, I totally agree on the social aspect. I just disagree that this will take away from it. This is simply about gate spamming which does not contribute to the social fabric of the game. I really miss the old days of smiths hanging out at the guild, crafting armor and repairing gear for players. But that type of thing doesn't exist on this server.

Streets

Grandmaster
@Streets, I totally agree on the social aspect. I just disagree that this will take away from it. This is simply about gate spamming which does not contribute to the social fabric of the game. I really miss the old days of smiths hanging out at the guild, crafting armor and repairing gear for players. But that type of thing doesn't exist on this server.

I guess we agree to disagree here then? I really think it does add to the social aspect of the game and enjoy seeing this. Reminds me of baseball game vendor yelling "hot dogs, get your hot dogs here!" Just yelling for attention, mindless at the crowd advertising his wares. And sure enough eventually a buyer comes buy and makes a deal.

Now the portal idea sugested reminds me of just walking up to a vending machine dropping a couple of bucks and a hot dog drops out. Might not even look appealing cause you can't see what you are getting your self into. There is no advertising no social aspect of the sale etc.

Tearloch

Grandmaster
At least a hot dog vendor at the baseball is actually there and you can speak with him... To me, the robo-gaters are the vending machine with a loud speaker attached. I just don't see what generally goes on at WBB as contributing to the aspects of UO that we both agree are appealing. All I am saying is that consolidating those people that like robo-gating model will clear space for those that actively market there goods at the bank (meaning people actually online to ask questions to, negotiate prices with, and actually conduct business).

Streets

Grandmaster
Well if nothing else it shows there are active uof account ts I don't know alot of things worse than an empty britian

Kaydon Bhey

Novice
Ya know how all the cities have buildings that do not get used?.. what about allowing people to rent space in them for vendors?

Streets

Grandmaster
Ya know how all the cities have buildings that do not get used?.. what about allowing people to rent space in them for vendors?

I would not be apposed to this. In fact u actually like it! Don't get rid of the current npc that are in there though. Just alow 1-3 contract deeds that alow players to set up.