Tracking Range

Malkraven

Grandmaster
Stealth is more powerful on UOF than any server i have ever played on except OSI and its ninjas..... gotta agree with @TheFallen on this one. The reason u dont see thiefs outside of champs is aint fuck all worth stealing outside of a champ/rda....

halygon

Grandmaster
How are thieves powerful in any way?

Stealth makes them more capable of stealing a potion out of my backpack and immediately getting guard whacked?

I have literally never once encountered a thief in a dungeon on this server.
Thieves are powerful because they can steal from you. Period. They can take away that vital reagent that you need to heal or cure. They can steal your weapon that you need to deal any damage. They can steal your most prized posession, and there is usually nothing at all you can do about it. A good thief will use stealth as an option, but not the end all be all of their escape. Most thieves I know, hide just long enough to mount an ethy and then they high tail it. They will run a couple of screens and hide to see if you follow, if you do, then they will continue their run til they lose you or until they can recall.

I don't know any good thieves that actually steal in town, so guard whacking isn't even something that will happen to them.

Also, thieves only stay around where things are profitable, obviously where you hang in dungeons is not profitable for them cause thieves are fucking everywhere on this shard.

lost

Grandmaster
A good person will have many stacks of reagants which makes harder for thieves.. can't steal weapon unless u equipped or disarm thief. Everyone can PK thieves without getting counts (try it).

Alas

Adept
I have no experience on other F2P shards. But I am asking that stealth not be touched on this shard.
The advantages it currently gives out weighs the "advantages" that tracking gives.

ADMIN - It all equals out in the end. Do not change.

Don Key

Master
anyone who thinks hiding or stealth on this server is overpowered clearly have never used them; hiding and stealth are two of the weakest possible skills there are, right up there with begging and camping

the only effectiveness it has is as defensive; how often are you all being killed by "stealth assassins"? serious question cause ive literally never seen it happen

First off, comparing hiding and stealth to begging and camping discredits all further posts from you.

Secondly, tell me where you farm and I will show you a stealth pk.

Well, tbh stealth IS very good the way it works on this server.

But then again @Techno Destructo is right in the sense that I've NEVER been attacked by a stealth PK nor did I EVER have something stolen from me in a Dungeon by a stealth thief.
Same thing applies. Just let me know where you like to farm and I'll be glad to show you a stealth pk.

Pks here just don't use it becuase they can just recall to 160 locations in a dungeon until they find someone and start throwing purple potions and waiting for a para blow to land.

halygon

Grandmaster
A good person will have many stacks of reagants which makes harder for thieves.. can't steal weapon unless u equipped or disarm thief. Everyone can PK thieves without getting counts (try it).
Very few people use multiple stacks of reagents, and those that do only have one or two stacks of one type. A thief can just keep stealing until they get all of one type and if they are worth thier snuff, they can survive your attacks long enough to do just that.

You can steal a weapon regardless if you have disarm or not. Granted it is harder to get a 1handed weapon out of a person's grasp than a 2 handed weapon. Once it goes into their backpack for whatever reason, it is open for stealing.

It is true that any member of the thieves guild cannot report murders -- regardless if they are perma grey or not.

lollo

Grandmaster
First off, comparing hiding and stealth to begging and camping discredits all further posts from you.

Secondly, tell me where you farm and I will show you a stealth pk.

Same thing applies. Just let me know where you like to farm and I'll be glad to show you a stealth pk.

Pks here just don't use it becuase they can just recall to 160 locations in a dungeon until they find someone and start throwing purple potions and waiting for a para blow to land.

Shame 5

Dig'em

Grandmaster
It isn't a 100% chance at 0 skill. You will still have multiple failures at 25 (0 on show real). Saying otherwise just damages your argument.

He's right, I fail all the time at 0 but it's still useful when thiefs are about. Also most PvM templates don't have more than 20 tracking, people only gming trackers for rdas. So stealth still very viable

FingersFinn

Grandmaster
How are thieves powerful in any way?

Stealth makes them more capable of stealing a potion out of my backpack and immediately getting guard whacked?

I have literally never once encountered a thief in a dungeon on this server.

Oh? Interesting. You are indeed very, very, very lucky then. You also have not been in the Asylum Dungeon I take it. Or Kaldhun.

If a thief is aiming for a potion in your back pack they are either very new and practicing, or are random stealing (maybe no snooping on the template??). Big ticket items are grabbed all the time my friend. People lose hundreds of thousands of gold worth of things in an instant to a skilled thief before they even know it's gone. And the thief too, for that matter.

Stealth is not a pointless skill as you claim it has now become and the argument is amusing. Unless one wishes to spend every waking moment firing up tracking (and waiting to re-track, while unable to use another skill at all) they are still just as vulnerable to stealthers. Some folks make their living on thievery and the take can be insane.

I get that a 0.0 skill shouldn't trump a GM skill set like hiding/stealth combo. The problem is in maintaining some form of balance. If you give up on stealth, that is your problem. You will be easier for me (and others) to find.

Lastly, you do keep other things in your backpack besides potions, right? Right? Why am I asking? Oh, no reason:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

kurtis

Grandmaster
Thank you for the tracking change Adam. It was much needed.

I agree that stealthing is still fine and useful. I will admit that since the tracking change I've been caught on my stealther a few times (whereas I never really was beforehand). But...good! About time I need to be more careful on my stealther.

Shini

Master
Thank you for the tracking change Adam. It was much needed.

I agree that stealthing is still fine and useful. I will admit that since the tracking change I've been caught on my stealther a few times (whereas I never really was beforehand). But...good! About time I need to be more careful on my stealther.

Did they increase or lowered the range ? ... what's the max range on tracking ? i'd be curious to know.

I noticed that tracking is kinda odd on here
when i was fighting outnumbered on my dexxer the other day.

-juke them and create a gap of a good 7-8 screens easy
-successfully hide on a 18x18 plot
-talk in Skype for a good 20-30 seconds ... while eating cookies.
-one of the 5 dudes come out of no where from south with reveal
and then the rest is history.

*marathon 2.0*

I don't know , maybe tracking mages are just pretty common on here
But to me it's quite a bit silly.

Last edited by a moderator:

halygon

Grandmaster
Did they increase or lowered the range ? ... what's the max range on tracking ? i'd be curious to know.

I noticed that tracking is kinda odd on here
when i was fighting outnumbered on my dexxer the other day.

-juke them and create a gap of a good 7-8 screens easy
-successfully hide on a 18x18 plot
-talk in Skype for a good 20-30 seconds ... while eating cookies.
-one of the 5 dudes come out of no where from south with reveal
and then the rest is history.

*marathon 2.0*

I don't know , maybe tracking mages are just pretty common on here
But to me it's quite a bit silly.
They lowered the range for those with 0 skill(~23 tiles from 38) and greatly increased it (80 tiles from 38) for those with GM tracking.

hubcap

Grandmaster
tracking should take terrain into account.

Snow? Easier to track. SnowING? Harder.
Swamps? Harder to track than through the woods, or dirty dungeon floors.....

seems there are many skills in the game that can act like gm at 80 skill level.
This should be addressed. I like the idea of the added "free points" but one should be rewarded for taking it all the way to 100. And things, in game, should require 100 skill level.

imo.

hubcap

Grandmaster
ALSO, If the trackEE has a skill level higher than, or 100+, the trackER should not be able to track them from so far away.
Someone who is a master tracker is also a master at covering said tracks.

Lets level it out a little bit.

lollo

Grandmaster
tracking should take terrain into account.

Snow? Easier to track. SnowING? Harder.
Swamps? Harder to track than through the woods, or dirty dungeon floors.....

seems there are many skills in the game that can act like gm at 80 skill level.
This should be addressed. I like the idea of the added "free points" but one should be rewarded for taking it all the way to 100. And things, in game, should require 100 skill level.

imo.

Yeah it's the same for stealth, cartography, remove trap etc.

No point in going above 80 and it sucks