Treasure Maps

Mellis2004

Neophyte
I have a few questions regarding treasure maps. I created a fisherman as a change of pace character after reading about its profitability. I've never done any treasure hunting. So here are my questions:

1. How do you coordinate where exactly the pinned point is once you decode map? Right now I just see a red pin, but it doesn't have coordinates like MIB's.

2. Once the map is decoded by my fisherman, does he have to be the one to dig up the chest, or once decoded can I pass it to another one of my characters that doesn't use cartography.

3. If my fisherman does have to dig up the chests, how difficult will the mobs be? Bare in mind all these maps have been gained off sea serpents, so I would assume they are level 1 maps. I have GM archery, anatomy, and tactics, but no built up magery or healing on the fisherman. Can he handle it at this point? I know I can not handle the MIB mobs just yet because of the deep sea elementals.

I'm sure these are beginner questions, but I have no experience in this area. Any experience or knowledge you can share would be appreciated.

Struan

Expert
1) use UO auto map and a treasure hunter library. Automap shows the thunter locations and a number..that number will match a rune in the library. Best rune library I've used so far is the Gankware Vendor house NW of magenica...I think. If you pick the right one you recall to right beside the spot.

2) yes you have to dig up the chest. Need a shovel. Click the map and pick dig up treasure. Without mining you will need to be right by the location. Again, easy with UOAM you can slide right up to the spot.

3.) level 1 mobs will be easy for you as a 3x gm.

- if you have no lock picking you will need to cast unlock on the chest. level 1 traps won't kill you but the regular practice is to stand several steps back and cast telekinesis on the chest to open it.

- be kind to your fellow t-hunters and clean out the chest. It'll disappear faster and not block the spot for the next toon.

Messremb

Grandmaster
1) use UO auto map and a treasure hunter library. Automap shows the thunter locations and a number..that number will match a rune in the library. Best rune library I've used so far is the Gankware Vendor house NW of magenica...I think. If you pick the right one you recall to right beside the spot.

2) yes you have to dig up the chest. Need a shovel. Click the map and pick dig up treasure. Without mining you will need to be right by the location. Again, easy with UOAM you can slide right up to the spot.

3.) level 1 mobs will be easy for you as a 3x gm.

- if you have no lock picking you will need to cast unlock on the chest. level 1 traps won't kill you but the regular practice is to stand several steps back and cast telekinesis on the chest to open it.

- be kind to your fellow t-hunters and clean out the chest. It'll disappear faster and not block the spot for the next toon.

Don't just empty it, Remove it. Single click and select remove. 1000000 times more helpful than just empting it.

Also level 1 chest I don't even kill the MOBs I let them hit me while I loot and usually just recall out unless there are several.

When your done with your chest click it and then click remove chest.
Don't leave a chest behind please. Even.if its empty.

Doobey beat me to it.

Mellis2004

Neophyte
I've never used auto map, sorry for all the questions. Is there a trick to finding which point is the one on your map, or is it more checking auto maps THB locations and trying the ones close until you have the right one? Thats the way I have been doing it, and groups 3 and 4 pks jump out and kill me on arrival. I haven't even gotten a shovel in the ground before I've been slaughtered. Lol, I know these guys have to make a living too, but, Am I doing something wrong here?

Mellis2004

Neophyte
Thanks Dwyane, That site helps for a less technologically advanced guy like myself.

One last question and then I should either have this thing down or I will give all my maps away and find a new hobby, lol
-
I'm at the right coordinates but when I double click the pick axe or the shovel and select the ground at where the treasure should be buried, it tells me I can't mine there? Is there a certain way to dig that I'm missing or what else could I be doing wrong?

Thanks again everyone. I'll have to share some loot with you guys, if of course I can ever get this thing figured out! Haha

Black Adder

Apprentice
Don't click on your shovel. Click on the MAP, and it will give you the option to "dig for treasure. When you select that, a cursor will come up. Target the ground with the cursor and it will start digging if you targetted the correct spot..

Dwyane Wade

Grandmaster
What Black Adder said. You can also dig by double clicking either the pickaxe or shovel, then targetting the map, then the ground. Either works. Make that money :)

Black Adder

Apprentice
Yeah Struan.. if you leave items in the chest.. or just leave the empty chest at the location without "removing" it... it takes approx 2 hours for the chest to decay. Highly annoying for the next t-hunter coming along.

Also... if there are items in the chest you don't want... just toss them onto a corpse of one of the spawned mobs to get rid of them.

Dwyane Wade

Grandmaster
To add onto what Black Adder said...once you start doing higher level maps, you're gonna want to empty the chest. Pulling items out of the chest triggers a chance that a mob spawns, and more mobs=more money :)

Strife

Master
FYI AND PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT. PLEASE REMOVE YOUR CHESTS....waiting for them to disappear isn't fun. I am looking at you Six Vicius !!!!