Unattended Ghost

AlyM

Grandmaster
I don't think they'll answer you too quickly on here- better to page in, in game.
I honestly don't see how it would be illega, but hey let us know what you find out :)

Nihilism

Grandmaster
Ever notice there are certain areas of spawns you can't enter while a ghost? It's a preventive measure taken by staff to deter "Ghost-camming".
It's frowned upon, and will probably result in a removal from the zone. Not sure what they do for repeated offenders though.

blackbeltjones

Grandmaster
Ever notice there are certain areas of spawns you can't enter while a ghost? It's a preventive measure taken by staff to deter "Ghost-camming".
It's frowned upon, and will probably result in a removal from the zone. Not sure what they do for repeated offenders though.
well you can go past that area alive and die there to have your ghost watch for spawn.

BigDGeorge

Journeyman
From what I understand it is illegal to camp spawns as a ghost to scout. I believe that is also why they have removed IDOC watching from ghosts as well. They don't want people having another account watch and snipe.

Bromista

Grandmaster
Easily circumvented, unfortunately: die in the zone and don't leave or pull an old azz ma'am and camp the edge of the zone, it's the same thing as camping the altar for all intents and purposes.

People ghost eeeeeverything without reprecussion...tamables, IDOCs, champs. It's so lame but unfortunately staff can't be everywhere all the time and the champ thing has an easy workaround. They may as well not say they frown upon it because it unintentionally creates a perceived double standard.

I know you don't need this explained to you Nihilist, just wanted to quote you for relevance to discussion purposes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nihilism

Grandmaster
Easily circumvented: die in the zone and don't leave or pull an old azz ma'am and camp the edge of the zone, it's the same thing as camping the altar for all intents and purposes.

This.
'Going around' gm's intents will probably net the same result. Never done this myself, but common sense would dictate this to be the case.

N49ATV

Adept
Its always going to be difficult to do. Even if they enable SS to transport ghosts to a shrine, they will just know it something is up, as not everyone wants to carry a skill just to move ghosts out of areas while running around.

It would require quiet a bit of code to try and fix, and could have major negative effects elsewhere. Its just the nature of dual clienting, and availability of multiple machines capable of running UO (if they disable multi-client)

Its just one of the things we have to deal with, much like how VOIP has changed the game

Bryce

Adept
If you see people doing this, specifically the same character, page in, it will be addressed.
But pls maturely make sure it's someone doing it repeatedly, not just the first ghost you see. :)

N49ATV

Adept
Or waiting for a res from another char. I don't have matching rune books yet. It's a slippery slope. They could make ghosts in certain areas visible at all times, but that would lead to people hunting for a body, that they may not have noticed.

Adding minimum movement etc, or timers could be worked around. It's kinda a pain, and could negatively effect group play of PvP and PvM, if they can't quickly res

Dewderonomy

Grandmaster
After 15-30 minutes, ghosts can't see or hear anything but wandering healers.

After an hour a ghost is automatically teleported out of a dungeon to the nearest shrine or Britain (or Buc's/Chaos if red).

I don't see how that's a difficult change.

N49ATV

Adept
That works. I just don't know how much it would take to blind a ghost. Also logging out on a ghost doesn't stop timer. So if you die at noon, your blind at 12:15pm. Regardless if you log or not. Or people will just log in for a sec, and time out every 10 mins etc.