Update: Persistent Random Client Disconnects

For the past week or so I have been experiencing random client disconnects that I am unable to resolve.

I usually leave all 3 of my accounts logged in, even when I am AFK.

The disconnects only affect 1 client at a time, but given enough time will affect all 3 clients. The disconnects could happen after one hour, or 3 hours. It seems quite random.

All 3 clients are running UO Steam.

2 clients will have macros running, and 1 client is just idle.

After a disconnect occurs I am able to instantly reconnect without issue.

This has now happened on 2 separate Windows 10 desktops, my old one and the new one I just got Wednesday.

I am unable to find any internet connection issue on my side. I ran a constant ping for 40k packets with only 2 packets lost, during which time all 3 clients were disconnected.

I am also unable to find a server connection issue via tracert, screenshots attached.

Tonight when I go to bed I will disconnect my router and run a cable directly from my modem to my PC, however I am having trouble seeing how this will resolve anything based on the pings/tracert tests.

Please help!
tracert 11-29-18.png

tracert 11-30-18.png

So I bypassed my router for a solid 12 hours and had 0 client disconnects.

My router is only 6 months old and nothing changed on my end when all this started happening.

I have reconnected my router to see how it pans out.

Can anyone think of things to check in my router that could cause this issue?

JDXM

Journeyman
probably you already did this, but if not the first suggestion would be check if a new firmware update is available! :)

But bear in mind the UOF host has still been having some issues by the sounds of it.

According to @eppy there are no host issues.

@JDXM Can you please elaborate? I also have a couple friends experiencing issues.

My router firmware is up to date, I am using a brand new computer with brand new installs of everything.

I wish I had a way to test my connection to UOF with something other than the login server. I have to imagine that there could be an issue at a different level than just the login server.

JDXM

Journeyman
I guess it's just easy to dismiss the odd connection issue due to the fact the that UOF's host had been having more than it's fair share of problems over a few months or more.

I think a less determined person would just accept that packet loss leading to the odd random client disconnect is inevitable.

You could try leaving some polling pings running to a few different hosts if you wanted to investigate further to try and narrow down if there is a specific connection issue.

I guess it's just easy to dismiss the odd connection issue due to the fact the that UOF's host had been having more than it's fair share of problems over a few months or more.

I think a less determined person would just accept that packet loss leading to the odd random client disconnect is inevitable.

You could try leaving some polling pings running to a few different hosts if you wanted to investigate further to try and narrow down if there is a specific connection issue.

I am not not having packet loss, thats the issue. 2-5 packets lost over 30-40k packets is nothing and should never result in a disconnect to any type of server.

Also, these are not "odd random client disconnects." I have been getting all 3 accounts disconnected within 1-3 hours -persistently- for over a week now.

This is primarily concerning for me as I run a vendor gater at WBB and this has greatly impacted the sales of my and my guilds vendors.

Last edited: