What was the purpose of making explosion potions hit allies?

StegcO

Grandmaster
p.s.

this change was 100% aimed at nerfing EQMS -- when it came out people from all the major guilds were like "WOW EQMS IS GONNA BLOW THEMSELVES UP WITH POTS, THEYRE FUCKED".

This change was stupid and did nothing to stop us and instead just made PVP worse for everyone... stop putting in specific changes to stop 1 guild of newbies and start trying to make PVP mechanics great for all.

Do you remeber when you and your friends cryed becouse 5 users with pets destroy everyday 20+ eqms?

Staff had to nerf an entire template to dry your tears

Bromista

Grandmaster
I must admit, it would be kind of funny for a while if it was possible to throw an explosive potion at another explosive pot user with a chance that the original pot has a chance to set off a chain reaction amongst other pot users causing one hell of an explosion with shock waves, mushroom clouds, fallout damage *only possible if others are carrying poison pots* and the chance of mutated animals/monsters spawning after a short while who drop rare items...

Ultima Fallout Online... It really can be a thing.

Back on subject, I really have no useful input regarding this. Sorry.

**Quite surprised something like this has been implemented**
That is actually 90% accurate. $ was exploiting this mechanic (that was quickly fixed once discovered) to farm the warden in asylum.

Actually I think this is one of the ones that Whitewolf/TheFallen did and reported. Might have even been a one and done. He was the only person in $ that would ruin a good thing that they found.

halygon

Grandmaster
p.s.

this change was 100% aimed at nerfing EQMS -- when it came out people from all the major guilds were like "WOW EQMS IS GONNA BLOW THEMSELVES UP WITH POTS, THEYRE FUCKED".

This change was stupid and did nothing to stop us and instead just made PVP worse for everyone... stop putting in specific changes to stop 1 guild of newbies and start trying to make PVP mechanics great for all.
It's true.. We called the update in staff chat the "Purple Noob Boom" update. Images of EQMS blowing themselves up while chasing down their enemies was too good for us to NOT implement.

Lexington

Grandmaster
How many of you have been greatly impacted by this change that occured months ago?

Me I'm guessing... If this change happened a month ago this is probably what's been happening with the brit bridge / cutzone flagging? How does this work when you throw a pot in town?

kolbycrouch

Master
leavehouse is a legit pvp tactic imo.

I just don't see it. there is really no skill/counter-play. It's just have the button or suffer when your opponent does.
I just see it as this useless thing I died to once so now I need 1 more hotkey.

As for the pot change. Honestly it's not terrible. It plays out well in PK situations.
At least now you have to keep your eyes open when you 3v1 pk someone on dexxers.

One of the few things that gives a consequence to having bad players on your team.

halygon

Grandmaster
Anyone in a guild who has thrown purple pots at someone has been impacted by this change.... out of curiousity, how many times have you PVPd in the past few months?
That wasn't the question. I asked how many people have been impacted by it - not who would use the mechanic.

Me I'm guessing... If this change happened a month ago this is probably what's been happening with the brit bridge / cutzone flagging? How does this work when you throw a pot in town?
It doesn't hit blues - as always - unless you have previously flagged on them. It will hit guildies or anyone you have flagged on. So, the exp pot cannot make you criminal - it only hits those players that you can normally attack without being flagged as a criminal.

kolbycrouch

Master
You can get quite creative with leavehouse and make some bigs plays.
I can see what your saying, I've even seen it in a few videos.

I still thinks its kind of a wonky solution to a bigger problem probably.

Then again, where I'm used to playing "heat of battle" prevents you from even stepping on stairs, so maybe I'm just not used to it.

GluttonySDS

Grandmaster
I just don't see it. there is really no skill/counter-play. It's just have the button or suffer when your opponent does.
I just see it as this useless thing I died to once so now I need 1 more hotkey.

As for the pot change. Honestly it's not terrible. It plays out well in PK situations.
At least now you have to keep your eyes open when you 3v1 pk someone on dexxers.

One of the few things that gives a consequence to having bad players on your team.

pretty much this...

How many of you have been greatly impacted by this change that occured months ago?
Whether or not people respond to this random thread to say that means very little.

Just fix the obvious flaws and compensate the increased skill needed with some sort of reward for executing your vision of correct potion throwing and there's no issue. A flat out nerf makes no sense.

Last edited:

steve-o

Grandmaster
That is actually 90% accurate. $ was exploiting this mechanic (that was quickly fixed once discovered) to farm the warden in asylum.

Actually I think this is one of the ones that Whitewolf/TheFallen did and reported. Might have even been a one and done. He was the only person in $ that would ruin a good thing that they found.
lol
he reported cause he crashed server once but noone did anything about it.
we tried it once with too many pots and crashed server again

we didn't abuse anything cause there was nothing to abuse

TheFallen

Grandmaster
lol
he reported cause he crashed server once but noone did anything about it.
we tried it once with too many pots and crashed server again

we didn't abuse anything cause there was nothing to abuse
Well tbh the ability to crash the server on command is actually probably one of the biggest bugs ever. I could think of 100 ways to use it but for the good of the server best to just get that fixed.

Was good times though.

khajja

Master

Mage groups are impacted by it. I would say anybody that plays as or with a dexxer has been greatly impacted by it. If a mage is going for a stun with a dexxer as an ally, they cannot throw pots.

It doesn't impact anybody 1v1. In the largest zergs where its about eb rails, there is little purple pot action and fewer dexxers.

I don't think being fizzled by an ally's pot, or taking 10 damage from it are the big stress points. I like that it forces people to be more careful with their pots, but when a misthrown/mistimed pot can result in a 50hp axe hit from an ally, it gets a little silly.

If the goal was to add drawbacks to dexxers in group pvp, it was a success. If the goal was anything else, it seems the unintended consequence overshadowed the goal.

Young Star

Grandmaster
This has impacted prettymuch every dexer in group fights. They are already at a big disadvantage in groups with a lot of mages. Yes it has been in a while now but this has been brought up as soon as it was implemented. I think the playerbase has given it a fair amount of time to try the new mechanic and we all still feel it has no value. I am not sure why glutt thinks everyone thought this was an eqms nerf. They rarely use pots and no one was complaining about any zerg pot throwing.

If the change was to force players to time them better than they need to address the aggro mechanics for allies and allied pets. Thats the biggest issue with friendly fire splash damage. When you attack a target and other players or mobs aggro on you, you dont auto switch to the new attacker. With pots exploding for some reason splash damage pulls your agro target immediately to who threw it.