When a 'mil' meant a lot

Jonny26

Master
Hi,

Now I'm pretty bog standard at maths so economics is certainly not a strong point... I just wanted to make a nostalgic observation and if anyone could offer up any feedback or answers to my questions, that would be cool. So... I took a break from uo for nearly a year, came back about 1.5 months ago and noticed the crazy amounts of gold some players suddenly have. I remember a year ago when to pay 5-10 mil for something was to almost break the bank and this was considered a lot to anyone back then. Now I know a lot of things have changed and there are far more dono items/incentives etc for people to purchase in game with rl cash. My concern is how regular farming (big loot mobs that are not motm) Now seem to drop such an insignificant amount of gold compared to that in circulation with the best chance of making a quick 250k a taming ss, makes what was once hard earned lucrative grinding feel a little stale. I have managed to make and save 5 mil (tamer) these past 6 weeks, and that has taken some serious hours/days! however, to know there are players out there who can pay 100+ Mil at the click of their fingers for an island etc, makes me question just how much time I'm prepared to grind, even if I saved every gp, if high end mobs ie shadow daemons drop like 2k a piece. There are always gonna be the wealthy, always gonna be the poor - wealth in uo used to feel like it was about what you put in eg skills choice/farming hours, however now it just feels like the only way to achieve serious wealth is to donate/jump on the meta pet band wagon/get lucky at an event and sell a new item at an extortionate price to a super wealthy player, or only farm
Motm and hope for the very slim chance of a few decent relics. I enjoy playing this shard so much and appreciate all the work the staff do, I just get a bit infuriated by the fact that if I want to become a 'somewhat' rich player, saving constantly with minimal spending, I May as well say goodbye to real life!

Am I missing any points on better ways to gain more wealth and what are the main causes for this huge surge of gold in the last 9 months?? Thanks for reading

Garet Jax

Grandmaster
Double if not triple the cost of regs, I have no friggin clue why this is not already done. I suggested it years ago to scale reg prices according to liquid gold in circulation. You have a select few no lifers who play/farm all day and all night.

halygon

Grandmaster
There's a lot of ways to get wealthy in UOF - farming-only is probably the most tedious (but consistent). Here are a couple:

• IDOCs - Most won't yield much, but you may get lucky if you do enough of them to start building that gold pile. IDOCing takes like zero gold to do, but does take time and man power.
  • RDAs & Champs - These are like IDOCs where you usually do not come away with alot, but the gamble is that if you do snag a relic or such, it can pay out pretty good. Do enough of them and your chances are higher to get the milz.
  • Events - Events don't occur all the time, but when they do, there is a chance for rare drops such as new items, crystal fragments, statues, etc that you couldn't normally get by just farming. Usually the chance is low, but anyone can get something if they persist
  • Real Estate - Placing and selling houses/plots is also a good profit. This goes hand in hand with IDOCs a lot of the time.
  • Vendor Houses - Owning Vendors or a vendor house can be profitable. If you make a location popular, you can make good money off of the vendor's or by selling the vendor house itself.
  • Bulk Order Deeds - You can make a good profit off of runic sewing kits, clothing bless deeds, runic hammers, and other crafter rewards. BOD's are like the lottery, so you never know what you are going to get and you usually have to trade with other BOD collectors to finish the items you are working on.
Double if not triple the cost of regs, I have no friggin clue why this is not already done. I suggested it years ago to scale reg prices according to liquid gold in circulation. You have a select few no lifers who play/farm all day and all night.
A full-on tax for all - which is what this would be, would yes, be a gold sink, but hurt the population as much as help. You really have to have precision where you want gold sinks to incur or it can have a strong negative effect, canceling out the pros.

Lithium149

Grandmaster
A lot of the "super rich" who have money to play with also buy low/sell high.

I definitely used this technique in a few other games, get a good grasp on Prices and you'll soon start making coin just cruising forums buying/selling.

I suggest having at least 1-2 mill gp before trying to get this technique down pat, keep your eyes on Buying/Selling/Price Check forums etc, good luck man tons of way to make cash in any game just have to get a little creative!

FAMARA

Grandmaster

wouldnt everyone just roll dexers then??

Salsa

Grandmaster
Hi,

Now I'm pretty bog standard at maths so economics is certainly not a strong point... I just wanted to make a nostalgic observation and if anyone could offer up any feedback or answers to my questions, that would be cool. So... I took a break from uo for nearly a year, came back about 1.5 months ago and noticed the crazy amounts of gold some players suddenly have. I remember a year ago when to pay 5-10 mil for something was to almost break the bank and this was considered a lot to anyone back then. Now I know a lot of things have changed and there are far more dono items/incentives etc for people to purchase in game with rl cash. My concern is how regular farming (big loot mobs that are not motm) Now seem to drop such an insignificant amount of gold compared to that in circulation with the best chance of making a quick 250k a taming ss, makes what was once hard earned lucrative grinding feel a little stale. I have managed to make and save 5 mil (tamer) these past 6 weeks, and that has taken some serious hours/days! however, to know there are players out there who can pay 100+ Mil at the click of their fingers for an island etc, makes me question just how much time I'm prepared to grind, even if I saved every gp, if high end mobs ie shadow daemons drop like 2k a piece. There are always gonna be the wealthy, always gonna be the poor - wealth in uo used to feel like it was about what you put in eg skills choice/farming hours, however now it just feels like the only way to achieve serious wealth is to donate/jump on the meta pet band wagon/get lucky at an event and sell a new item at an extortionate price to a super wealthy player, or only farm
Motm and hope for the very slim chance of a few decent relics. I enjoy playing this shard so much and appreciate all the work the staff do, I just get a bit infuriated by the fact that if I want to become a 'somewhat' rich player, saving constantly with minimal spending, I May as well say goodbye to real life!

Am I missing any points on better ways to gain more wealth and what are the main causes for this huge surge of gold in the last 9 months?? Thanks for reading

If getting rich was easy, there would just be a new ultra rich group of people. Nothing would change.

lollo

Grandmaster
People with that much money Are usually big donators Who shelled out 3-10k usd on The game. Which is fine.

I don't play much But Can still make milions easy enough with farming/champs/rdas

Of course i'll never own an island, But Who cares?

Modus

Master
What would the game be without goals? If i got anything i wanna have - why play it? im fine with being a midrange wealthy player. Any Game that is created sooner or later has that kind of super rich player, this is not a UOF-specific problem.

Modus

Master

That would totally destroy the low end of the player base.

Jonny26

Master
TL;DR - OP talks how RNG effect the wealth in UO.
Yeah, may hav rambled a bit
What would the game be without goals? If i got anything i wanna have - why play it? im fine with being a midrange wealthy player. Any Game that is created sooner or later has that kind of super rich player, this is not a UOF-specific problem.
I am in agreement, always
Gotta have in game goals etc tho if I farmed to become a 'midrange' wealthy player in the current climate, I would probably have acquired a walking stick and a bus pass by the time I reach 50 mil!

Tard the Paladin

Grandmaster
Those of us that have been around have seen several ultra rich players grow bored and leave.

I suppose the novelty wears off once you get everything maxed and have all the pixels.

The players that stick around are the ones that enjoy the PvP and community aspects of the game. If you just grind 247 and wait around for RDA's then I suppose UO would get pretty boring.

My biggest hope for the shard is that the new expansion will encourage PvP and massive battles. Sadly, there's a major portion of the player base that is adamantly anti-pvp and prefer to spend their time crying about their pokemons dying.