Where to hunt as young player?

Lazenby

Adept
So I just started on this server a few days ago, and am still a young player. I was down hunting in I guess deceit balrons, and some red came along and got mad and called a gm, and the gm tells me I cant hunt there. So I am curious, where am I allowed to hunt? I didn't see any rules about what you can and can't do? I literally have been on the server for less than a 4 days so I am a young player. Young player only protects against other players, it doesn't protect against all the creatures down there, they still engage and attack and chase you. Anyway just was looking for clarification, can I go to dungeons and stuff? Really was enjoying the game and server, getting use to the mechanics after 10+ years (i died a ton) and was just getting a good rhythm. I am not worried about the loot, I bought a ton of don coins, and was just about to get more=)...just was trying to get a little practice at the game on challenging mobs before getting set out to the wolves. On my other account, the second my new player status ran out a blue ganked me and took everything I had! Anyway, any info would be very helpful. Thanks much.

Lazenby

Adept
Oh well guess it doesn't matter=) Gonna drop the young player and get rolling. Ill be down there waiting for ya K A Z, see if you can kill a gimp noob bard with 500 skill points! i think not!

Cack

Grandmaster
This is pretty stupid....sure dude is young but isn't that the point. He's only young for a limited period. Why not allow them to hunt where they want to build up cash so they can train buy a house, join eqms, w/e.
Well if you're a bard renounce your young status and carry runebook,a few regs spell took and an instrument. Recall when you have 3k. Rinse and repeat.

Shane

Administrator
Staff member
"new player" "hunting balrons" "started on this server a few days ago".

This can easily be mistaken for a veteran player running a vpn as a young to avoid losing any loot upon death.

We have had problems with youngs in full invul/silver vanqs on their second day running liche lords or whatever else with absolutely no risk at all. Once their young status runs out, delete char, rinse repeat.

I usually go by what kind of weapon/gear someone is using, although this wasn't me who dealt with this one.

Hope that clears it up a bit as to why though.

Li Meiyang

Grandmaster
As unlikely as it is, it *is* possible. Most newcomers to the shard are already very familiar with UO.

If I had a friend join UOF, I would definitely set them up with some nice gear... especially while they are young and don't need to worry about losing it. I'd probably load them up with skill scrolls and show them where to hunt too. It doesn't take long to get healing/anat up, so they could be farming high-end MOBs pretty quickly.

Just saying, it's possible.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shane

Administrator
Staff member
Either way, imo once you are higher in skills we probably should just add a check in there noting that your young status only has XX amount of hours left. Would fix the problem all around.

People abusing this is actually a regular thing however. It's unfortunate that situations like this it only takes some bad apples to ruin it for others.

It's a serious issue with free to play.

Bromista

Grandmaster
"new player" "hunting balrons" "started on this server a few days ago".

This can easily be mistaken for a veteran player running a vpn as a young to avoid losing any loot upon death.

We have had problems with youngs in full invul/silver vanqs on their second day running liche lords or whatever else with absolutely no risk at all. Once their young status runs out, delete char, rinse repeat.

I usually go by what kind of weapon/gear someone is using, although this wasn't me who dealt with this one.

Hope that clears it up a bit as to why though.
This is a tough one. On one hand, veteran players absolutely use VPNs to have young chars fight dungeon bosses (with a high level of knowledge and success) that surely no new players would be doing.

On the other hand, there's nothing that says a new player can't donate first thing and be able to afford that max gear while he still has young status. If that's the case there is absolutely no reason they should be upset at getting their young status removed.

Li Meiyang

Grandmaster
Yeah, it's probably 90%+ the rule rather than the exception.

Young status drops after total of 450 real skill points are attained?

It's too bad there's not a way to track which accounts these VPNers are transferring their gold/loot to. Then BAN the ever-loving crap out of them all.

Li Meiyang

Grandmaster
Virtual Private Network

It's how people can get on with more than three accounts, own extra houses, exploit young status... since the vpn makes them show up as a different IP from their normal one.

Or in others words: cheating.

Shane

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, it's probably 90%+ the rule rather than the exception.

Young status drops after total of 450 real skill points are attained?

It's too bad there's not a way to track which accounts these VPNers are transferring their gold/loot to. Then BAN the ever-loving crap out of them all.

Yeah we actually had to stop giving away LP codes because of people abusing a free thing.

K A Z

Grandmaster
It was me reporting. It makes me mad when people abuse VPNs nd farm dungeons without any risk while I harvest honest players. Glad you are an upstanding bluebian

Li Meiyang

Grandmaster
Agreed. If I ever catch a cheater, I will report him/her immediately.

When I started out on this shard in May, I lumberjacked my way to my first boat for my fishermen.

I didn't have a house or a vendor so I just sold my logs for 1 gp per to the NPC carpenter.

Til I got a boat and got my fishermen up to speed. Then I realized I needed another boat, so more jacking...

That's how it should be for newbs. Earn it@!

Li Meiyang

Grandmaster
Dono coins only do you so much good.

I have bought more with gold than cash.

Tho to be honest, I bought some this week, cuz I was desperate to win an auction.

But really, it's not that hard to farm up a ton of gold and buy the dono coins that way.

Unless you are me, and blew all your money on raffle tickets and an ethy tiger, then wanted to buy a pricey relic. :p

Last edited by a moderator: