Who is the guy going around scamming houses?

Earendur

Adept
Today I am selling a 13x14 for place cost + 50k

a guy offers to look at it, and is lagging all over my screen.

We get there, he says he'll buy it for his newb friend,

Sidebar; I know this is my fault and by my own stupidity

we initiate a trade, he says he is lagging and the trade didn't start then goes "oh I own the house"

He says here I'll trade it back im like oh wtf a server glitch maybe?

He accepts the trade offer *I* made and I trade him the house.

He collapses the plot receiving the gold and recalls.

Don't have his name because I logged in a fit of rage, but is this type of thing allowed?

I know 200k isn't much but I just started here and that's 3-4 hours of my time I have to work towards because someone else is selfish. I am also told that I am the third one today scammed?

It makes me not want to go out and farm and leaves a bad taste in my mouth with what little player interaction I have had outside of PKers chasing me down.

Earendur

Adept
Yeah sorry that sucks man.

I agree, live and learn. Ultimately the point of this post was to bring attention to the situation and get a definitive answer on if this is okay or allowed. If things like this ARE allowed, regardless of my or anyone's stupidity it isn't inviting to new players who will fall prey to new/old scams.

How did the house transfer? Did you "check" the box before he put anything in trade window?
He waited to click accept on the transfer gump and said he owned the house somehow and I fell for it. Him lagging all over the screen is what sold it. Being new to the server I wasn't sure if it was a glitch or something like that so I blindly accepted the trade.

Karl Sagan

Grandmaster
Pretty clever scam, and really not THAT expensive for you.

I love reading stuff like this. Seems like everyone has one of those 'oh fuck meeeee' moments.

Just live and learn, and I bet some vets will kick in some gold to help keep your chin up. I'd go in for 50k ;)

Blaine the Gypsy

Grandmaster
It's not just fuck me moments. It's happening to new players to the shard. Whoever this person is has hit at least 3 to 4 people within today alone. I think that's an issue of bad business for the shard.

Blaine the Gypsy

Grandmaster
People come to me with their problems cause I'm a nice guy.
Example
i don't recall the first toon name but they wore a red antler headset . Ithey kept telling me they were laggy, werre gonna pay me 300k for it, I go to trade the house and nothing was happening. They kept saying, wtf, and next thing i know after they told me i had given them my house and to take it back, they disappeared and i was no longer owner of the house. Then a cpl minutes after the restart, i saw Lady Phia of Hedge Guild enter the house thru the teleporter. I logged back on about an hour ago and the house was torn down [was worth 294 thousand gold] and all the paragon chests i was gonna give this "new" owner were on the ground along with my doorbell and a few other items. i quickly retrieved everything and placed a 7x9 so i can put my larger plot back later on. That's the best I can remember, man. thanks for your time.

Lexington

Grandmaster
Today I am selling a 13x14 for place cost + 50k

a guy offers to look at it, and is lagging all over my screen.

We get there, he says he'll buy it for his newb friend,

Sidebar; I know this is my fault and by my own stupidity

we initiate a trade, he says he is lagging and the trade didn't start then goes "oh I own the house"

He says here I'll trade it back im like oh wtf a server glitch maybe?

He accepts the trade offer *I* made and I trade him the house.

He collapses the plot receiving the gold and recalls.

Don't have his name because I logged in a fit of rage, but is this type of thing allowed?

I know 200k isn't much but I just started here and that's 3-4 hours of my time I have to work towards because someone else is selfish. I am also told that I am the third one today scammed?

It makes me not want to go out and farm and leaves a bad taste in my mouth with what little player interaction I have had outside of PKers chasing me down.

I have a small house in the brit no cut zone I was going to put up for sale... but I don't really need the loot so I'll trade the plot over to you N/C. Hopefully this will help you get back on your feet?

Pm me later tonight!

Blaine the Gypsy

Grandmaster
Earendur actually has been working his ass off to potentially buy a house from a former member of mine. I don't like when people come to be feeling defeated and wanting to quit. Do I hand over anything because of pity? No. If they get my point after my speeches they usually push on.

Lexington

Grandmaster
Earendur actually has been working his ass off to potentially buy a house from a former member of mine. I don't like when people come to be feeling defeated and wanting to quit. Do I hand over anything because of pity? No. If they get my point after my speeches they usually push on.

So you don't want me to help this guy? If it's the sale of your friends house you're worried about... maybe he can sell this pot to help raise the money to buy it?

Karl Sagan

Grandmaster
It's not just fuck me moments. It's happening to new players to the shard. Whoever this person is has hit at least 3 to 4 people within today alone. I think that's an issue of bad business for the shard.

New player or not (he had enough to place the house...) he made a really dumb mistake. Scamming like this is not illegal in any way and it shouldn't be.

Helping the guy keep his chin up is good business for the shard.

Him seeing that he has to keep on his toes is good for the shard.

There's no proof and no rules were broken. The scammer is just playing UO.

Earendur

Adept
New player or not (he had enough to place the house...) he made a really dumb mistake. Scamming like this is not illegal in any way and it shouldn't be.

Helping the guy keep his chin up is good business for the shard.

Him seeing that he has to keep on his toes is good for the shard.

There's no proof and no rules were broken. The scammer is just playing UO.

I appreciate you guys offering to help me out, but it is not needed. My intentions with this post were to bring attention to the player involved, if anyone knew him, and to find an answer on if this was legal or not. I have accepted that I lost 200k, but I find it hard to believe that things like that would be allowed. Yes, it was by my own stupidity. That doesn't take away from the fact that someone is still doing this to new players. Regardless if I posted and people offered to help, there are at LEAST 3-4 other players who have not done so, who knows what their fate entails but it would be safe to assume they would be more than discouraged to keep playing.. Where does it stop? Am I allowed to sell ethereal beetles that are actually giant beetles off screen? Not my fault the guy is dumb. This isn't griefing, or being a prick to be a prick. It's stealing from another player. The same argument could be said against me, where would the policing stop? If someone co-owns a friend then Admins will have to give everything back? Things of that nature are different as you co-own someone knowing the risks. I guess you could say the same about housing but that is more inferred rather than explained. As Gypsy said I have been farming the last few days non-stop to buy a house from him and this was a generous portion of what I needed to complete the transaction, and it chaps my ass. I hope someone knows who this person is so at least some people will know scum.

Violence

Grandmaster
When in doubt, pull out.

The moment a deal seems fishy, pause, and cancel any offers and start again from the beginning. If he does the same thing, recall out and find another buyer.

Dj Double D

Grandmaster
Griefing and scamming an cheating and stealing... sounds like an average UO monday lol..
Seriously tho OP has a pt about the effect on new players, whoever needs to fkn scam new players out of money is a fucking asshole, if thats you PM me ill give you the god damned money (PM me is french for go fuck yourself).
What has been done cannot be undone, Earendur, but know that filth like this a) exists everywhere and b) is in the massive minority. Most peeps on uof would bend over backwards to help ya rather than scam ya for quick buck. Some people are just assholes, just like Stampy the elephant ;-)
The good news is now ur not gonna get scammed for 500k 2 months from now cos ur awareness has been heightend :-D

James Franco

Grandmaster
Listen, scamming is allowed. It just can't be excessive scamming. I use to scam all the time on UOF, and I've been banned for it too. House scams are a mind-fuck. Its quite simple, the person will say "HAHAHH I STOLE YOUR HOUSE CLICK THE CHECK AND YOU CAN HAVE YOUR HOUSE BACK". Now you may be thinking, who the hell would fall for that? The answer is like 40% of the people i have ever scammed on UO. I have almost been scammed by my own scam. House scams are a big mind fuck, and don't ever check the box unless your money is in the trade window. There are many scams on UOF, but do you really want to risk getting banned and ruining someones UO career?

EDIT: I got banned because i scammed over 10 times and got up to 2m in profits. I am now a good boy, and I do what i can to make this server grow. Afterall this server is probably one of the last servers that will last on UO. Hopefully the name "UOForever" means that the server UOF will stick around FOREVER.

Dj Double D

Grandmaster
If anyone knows any other names of people that were scammed by this douche tag them in this thread ( use the @ symbol then their name ) so that maybe we can get a name and out this degenerate...