Why is pet skill loss ignored?

steve-o

Grandmaster
I strongly disagree with this unless you do what Bromista suggested and let non faction chars res for 5k!!! 5k is about right for a pet res! I know it seems very little at first but you got to realize that your pets die a lot in PVM situations, and you usually have two pets with you. That's 10k for their res when they die, then multiply that by a few times it happens a day and you can easily end up spending more on pet res than what you make on farming even with the 5k res cost. I have had many days when my pets died 10 times and I spent 100k for ressing them, this would be impossible again if a single pet would cost 50k! Pets also die a lot when doing champs, RDAs etc. making a res cost so much would almost be as punishing as the skill loss is now. I imagine pets die a lot less if all you do with then is actually PVP so maybe the 50k for faction chars IF non faction chars still get the 5k could be fine.

I think what @Bromista said in his first post here would be the perfect change, if anything I'm surprised this isn't how it was done the first time, the system right now seems backwards.
why ressing pets for faction (that is pvp oriented) should cost only 10k and to res pet for normal pvm cost 150k+ in skill scrolls?

i saw many factioners that don't care about their pets cause they can abuse the system to get the free res (10k is nothing), they implemented pet skill loss in the first place cause people didn't care about the pets and left them to die in the middle of the spawn/champ.

Tantreghan

Grandmaster
imo pet skill lost isn't an issue,meta pets skills reset upon leveling and level 7 they reset on rollovers. it creates a market a healthy market for skill scrolls and 7x pets. it is not hard to take 2-3 accounts and set up training area inside a house. You can get your pets resit and magery in the 90s in a few days. i think a good start would be removing the negative pet skill gain in loss in houses + lowering it from 1% to .08% skill loss upon death

I'd rather play the game and my pet get skill points back rather then not play and macro in my house. Plus for all them pks looking to kill me, it gets us out of the dungeon so not fun for them either. I like farming and playing with pks. My pets die ALLOT because of my play style. That is fine but 1% is allot. so after you have rolled your pet over so many times to get skills back it gets draining any very expensive.

If they increase how fast and high resist Magery and poison gain will help allot, and leave it at 1% or .5% loss. I don't think it will affect the price of the ss because we dump them into or ww's etc anyway. And if my meta pet dies once I usually top em up right away with ss. It's when u do s rda or champ or griefed and my pets die numerous times does it become an issue. Can only try right? Nothing is set in stone

And yes 750k for meta mount. It's been brought up allot and strongly wanted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bromista

Grandmaster
Agreed that was ridiculous.

I used to train my fresh pets by leaving them afk in low-key graveyards. They'd lose 1-2 points of magery/resist (deaths to lich paragons) in the time it took to 5x the other skills which was an acceptable loss. With skills in the 80's .1 loss skills retrained pretty easily it would only take a day or two of action to get them 7x.

I believe if we half the current skill loss rate it will be a nice sweet spot. And it would really soften the blow on skills that don't retrain so I believe this to be the best of all solutions.

Oh and the faction thing let's ditch that.

Yea.

steve-o

Grandmaster
Agreed that was ridiculous.

I used to train my fresh pets by leaving them afk in low-key graveyards. They'd lose 1-2 points of magery/resist (deaths to lich paragons) in the time it took to 5x the other skills which was an acceptable loss. With skills in the 80's .1 loss skills retrained pretty easily it would only take a day or two of action to get them 7x.

I believe if we half the current skill loss rate it will be a nice sweet spot. And it would really soften the blow on skills that don't retrain so I believe this to be the best of all solutions.

Oh and the faction thing let's ditch that.

Yea.
0.5 skill loss i don't think is a final solution but surely something that can be implemented with 0 effort to fix the non possible skill gains.

halygon

Grandmaster
This has always been the problem.

Easy fix... make pet skills gain at the same rate players do.
Just make pet skill gain equivalent to player skill gain. Easy peasy fix.
Beyond the fact that skill gain is too easy if pets have the same skill gain as players...

The issue here isn't *really* how slow or fast skill gain is for pets. For pets with skills (magery, Poisoning, & Resist) above 100, they will not gain in these skills at all at a point (never for poisoning). The reason isn't because skill gain is slow, but because how those skills function.

Magery requires 8th circle spells to gain past 110 or so - pets can only cast up to 7th circle.. see the issue?

Resist is just super slow to gain period because mobs cannot cast the high (7th circle) spells required to make resist gain rapidly.

Poisoning just doesn't gain at all on pets and require a skill scroll - for pets with poison on hit - it doesn't matter because the poisoning skill doesn't play into this.

With the exception of Death Beetles, most of the above pain is on Metas - which roll over and get fresh skills - which is why this hasn't been a top priority. From what I gather is, the tamers who are not at 120 taming and don't have level 7 metas to rollover are in a state of constant skill scroll usage or heavy grinding.

One other thing to point out here since I am laying it all out is that Pets only cast 7th circle spells, which means they don't need even GM magery to cast that FS. They also don't need GM Resist to be a tank, nor do they need GM poisoning to cast effective poison. But these are fairly overlooked by most because it seems that every.single.tamer.on.uof has a compulsive disorder to have perfect skills on everything or its trash.

In my opinion, I think if we can make - for pets only - gains of magery and resist possible to 120 and enable natural poisoning skill gain - then skill loss is probably a non-issue.

GluttonySDS

Grandmaster
Remove pet skill loss... or make it .1 but further tone down the ability for pets to rape in PVP.

If pets arent OP in PVP -- who cares what their stats/skills are if theyre used for killing mobs.

Young Star

Grandmaster
I don't see the economy changing by removing pet skill loss. I have only rarely use a skill scroll on my pets. I don't know that many people except a small few that feed their pets scrolls. Their value would still be roughly the same because it is still a PITA to raise the skills on players. Plus you're supposedly adding in perma stat anyways so that will jack up the prices more as well.

No one but the economy.

N

Null

Remove pet skill loss... or make it .1 but further tone down the ability for pets to rape in PVP.

If pets arent OP in PVP -- who cares what their stats/skills are if theyre used for killing mobs.

The PVM playerbase cares, that's the whole idea behind this thread.

GluttonySDS

Grandmaster
The PVM playerbase cares, that's the whole idea behind this thread.

Right -- but what I'm saying is that who cares if a pet is very strong if its only strong in PVM.

The difficult part of being a PVMer on UO isnt the AI or how hard it should be to kill a mob -- it should be the fact that any given second, 5 reds(in purple or otherwise) could roll up on you and waste you.

N

Null

Right -- but what I'm saying is that who cares if a pet is very strong if its only strong in PVM.

The difficult part of being a PVMer on UO isnt the AI or how hard it should be to kill a mob -- it should be the fact that any given second, 5 reds(in purple or otherwise) could roll up on you and waste you.

The PVM'ers care about their pets stats, strength, etc. I don't think reds vs pets is such an issue as pet skill is to death in general (be in from pks or from mobs)

GluttonySDS

Grandmaster
The PVM'ers care about their pets stats, strength, etc. I don't think reds vs pets is such an issue as pet skill is to death in general (be in from pks or from mobs)

What im saying is if pets arnet used in PVP, remove or reduce skill loss on pet death so that they dont have to spend 100k+ when they die.

N

Null

What im saying is if pets arnet used in PVP, remove or reduce skill loss on pet death so that they dont have to spend 100k+ when they die.

I agree. But I also feel that pet stats are important to pet owners even if it's not pvp oriented. You never see people bonding low str pets unless they are ********.