x-bows , heavy x-bows need love

shirtandpantsman

Grandmaster
does anyone use anything other than a bow for archery?

I have silver/vanq or other slayer x-bows and heavy x-bows and I've been using them many times to test for effectiveness

it really seems like in terms of DPS, during my testing, a regular [Silver] bow will out perform a Silver/Vanq x-bow every time due to attack speed and longer range to kite caster mobs with

the fact that arms lore doesn't seem to be working at all might be the issue. I have literally missed over 10 times in a row with my silver/vanq heavy xbow on regular LICHES. do you know how long 10 misses with a heavy xbow take? really fucking long.

at this point I'm just consider any sort of vanq xbow as junk to use for talisman quests

Leewald7

Grandmaster
Haha give me all your heavy vanq crossbows!

Crossbows and heavies are great aswell. Vet archers learn the attributes to each type of bow

Crossbows are great because quality ones are more common so lower cost, they are slightly slower then a bow but also hit harder then a bow. Good weapons for general purpose defense.

Heavies are the slowest shooter for sure but real archers use a bow/heavy combo for heavy shot to start off the fight and Bow to follow up with quick hits. This is best for pvp archery.

Bow are best for pvm generally because they have the best results in production and have best range for kiting spells from mobs as mentioned. But quality bows again paired with a quality heavy can be deadly on a tank archer.

Also to Arms lore i believe effects dmg not accuracy. And if your missing alot improve your accuracy choice on your weapon, eat food (even though they say this doesn't effect accuracy, i find it does). I also find grabbing a new health bar and dbl clicking it or moving your stance can reset the miss cycle. Even casting a spell can break it. Those cycles happen even with a +25 bow sometimes, i think its just a weird loop the coding gets stuck in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

shirtandpantsman

Grandmaster
This occurs even with +25 accuracy weapons, and I always eat food although I've also heard it doesn't matter.

Moving a step or two does seem to help reset the miss cycle, but I think that is just a mental illusion

as far as regular x-bows out damage bows, did you know an x-bow can actually do less damage than a bow according to these figures from http://wiki.uosecondage.com/Weapons --- assuming these figures are accurate

Weapon Name STR Req. Damage Speed HP Skill
Bow (2-H) 20 4d9+5 (9-41) 20 31-60 Archery
Crossbow (2-H) 30 5d8+3 (8-43) 18 31-80 Archery
Crossbow, Heavy (2-H) 40 5d10+6 (11-56) 10 31-100 Archery

notice low end damage on regular cross bow is 8 when a bow is 9 - this makes xbow damage even more random to me, and I feel like regular crossbows miss the most of anything

also arms lore is supposed to increase accuracy on pvm mobs not increase damage, as far as I know

it seems there is a belief arms lore is not aiding accuracy on mobs and not working at all, and honestly I can't notice a difference in hits/misses between my chars with armslore and without

Leewald7

Grandmaster
as far as regular x-bows out damage bows, did you know an x-bow can actually do less damage than a bow according to these figures from http://wiki.uosecondage.com/Weapons --- assuming these figures are accurate

Weapon Name STR Req. Damage Speed HP Skill
Bow (2-H) 20 4d9+5 (9-41) 20 31-60 Archery
Crossbow (2-H) 30 5d8+3 (8-43) 18 31-80 Archery
Crossbow, Heavy (2-H) 40 5d10+6 (11-56) 10 31-100 Archery

notice low end damage on regular cross bow is 8 when a bow is 9 - this makes xbow damage even more random to me, and I feel like regular crossbows miss the most of anything

Im just speaking from lots of personal experience. Also i wouldnt rely too hard on posts on the internet since it seems to vary from server to server and patch to patch.

Yoko Kurama

Master
First off, bows are fine how they are. Xbow are solid, just shorter range...heavy xbow is already a bit opd. I mean, a vanq exceptional heavy xbow hits for more than any other weapon...All weapon types have a mix of fast and slow weapons...Why whine about bows, look at swords...Katana...ya its great. Everything else, lol. Even with LJ, axe is barely better than war hammer, if at all, with a SMALL speed increase...but war hammer special attack better, and it drains stamina in heaps and tears through armor, but for that extra 100 points...fuck axes. Other than war hammer and war mace, none of the other macing options are great...Qstaff doesnt is gimped because it was too good, club is just a bit meh. Yet why do people complain about archery, where all 3 weapons are usable and balanced?
Second, you don't get any bonus for archery with Arms Lore.
I REPEAT, EVEN WITH A TALISMAN, ARCHERY DOES NOT WORK WITH ARMS LORE. Eppy confirmed this, as I didn't believe it myself.

Kael

Master
First off, bows are fine how they are. Xbow are solid, just shorter range...heavy xbow is already a bit opd. I mean, a vanq exceptional heavy xbow hits for more than any other weapon...All weapon types have a mix of fast and slow weapons...Why whine about bows, look at swords...Katana...ya its great. Everything else, lol. Even with LJ, axe is barely better than war hammer, if at all, with a SMALL speed increase...but war hammer special attack better, and it drains stamina in heaps and tears through armor, but for that extra 100 points...fuck axes. Other than war hammer and war mace, none of the other macing options are great...Qstaff doesnt is gimped because it was too good, club is just a bit meh. Yet why do people complain about archery, where all 3 weapons are usable and balanced?
Second, you don't get any bonus for archery with Arms Lore.
I REPEAT, EVEN WITH A TALISMAN, ARCHERY DOES NOT WORK WITH ARMS LORE. Eppy confirmed this, as I didn't believe it myself.

I don't think I have ever seen a single person on this shard use a xbow so I'm not too sure about them being useful or not. However, I would love to see different weapons get some love to make them usable again. Gets pretty boring seeing every dexer running around with the same weps.

BEN!

Grandmaster
heavy xbows get plenty of use. regular xbows could use some sorta buff... i have suggested in the past that they get made into 1 handed weapons to give them some utility. i don't think they should ever be a smart choice for pvp but talismen/PvM characters might find a use for them if they could drink pots while equipped or use a shield with em

shirtandpantsman

Grandmaster
heavy xbows get plenty of use. regular xbows could use some sorta buff... i have suggested in the past that they get made into 1 handed weapons to give them some utility. i don't think they should ever be a smart choice for pvp but talismen/PvM characters might find a use for them if they could drink pots while equipped or use a shield with em

both those ideas are pretty legit, especially since you could theoretically really shoot an x bow one handed

edit: also why can't you throw purple pots while wielding bows/xbows? seems unfair since you can throw them while wielding any other 2 hander. a guy shooting arrows at you and then throwing a potion at you seems like it makes more sense than a guy wielding a big ass 20 pound warhammer trying to hit you at point blank range being able to THROW A POTION but I digress

eppy

Grandmaster
Arms lore and archery are complicated. It does work however it might not be a practical difference when using accuracy modded bows.

Leewald7

Grandmaster

Great idea!

EvilAcid

Grandmaster
Bows are fine. I still remember making ben on his blue tamer run like he had the shits in despise. Granted he needed to call in help and i got ganked. But ya a stealth archer with a vanq bow vs mage and tamer mage in this case is no contest. They hated me in ctf too. Interrupt central!