Zombieland mini-event and lag?

Baby Blue

Master
Anyone else noticed it? The server feels really slow. My ping is normal but I can't run properly and throwing pots sucks.

P.S. Shouldn't it end already? ...

Last edited by a moderator:

Bromista

Grandmaster
The massive amounts of aggro if someone has a lot of stuff on screen is enough to lag the server tremendously.

Baby Blue

Master
I was blowing myself up with purples all day!

But that's business as usual with me.
=( Sucks man. UOF is still totally unplayable. Can't pvp with this lag.

I thought this event was supposed to end on Saturday? I just wanna play UO. Zombieland event has nothing to do with UO PvP.

Fattson

Grandmaster
=( Sucks man. UOF is still totally unplayable. Can't pvp with this lag.

I thought this event was supposed to end on Saturday? I just wanna play UO. Zombieland event has nothing to do with UO PvP.
I'm assuming they're gonna run it during battles week and they're monitoring the event to make sure the scripts run smooth. But like you, I hope it's over by the time I wake up.

Darkarna

Grandmaster
Whats with that zombie crap? I start out with a dagger and I'm a mage... :/

I don't think I have died so many times in one day as I have in Zombie land. Mind you, I did actually get quite far, *no deaths in 15 minutes* and someone by the name of Lamb Of Gods, decided to run past with a tsunami of rotting flesh and fat things who thought I looked the meatier target, needless to say, my epic run ended very soon afterwards *Pumps fist into the air "Damn you Lamb Of Gods!" *

You start out with the dagger and your wits...or lack thereof

The dagger remains, wits decide to take a vacation after the 50th death... :((((

Shane

Administrator
Staff member
We were talking about this in staff chat, there's a FEW ppl complaining about lag, but not many. No one on staff seems to be getting any lag either.
It's definitely not everyone, so i can't say it's zombies.

Shane

Administrator
Staff member
I'm assuming they're gonna run it during battles week and they're monitoring the event to make sure the scripts run smooth. But like you, I hope it's over by the time I wake up.

We will only be running Zombies event for 24 hour intervals most likely, maybe 48 hours max.
It will be used to give staff a break a bit, as last year was pretty intensive trying to appease to all timezones in events.

K A Z

Grandmaster
We were talking about this in staff chat, there's a FEW ppl complaining about lag, but not many. No one on staff seems to be getting any lag either.

??

you host the event - world saves go up by 20 seconds.

"can't say it's zombies" .. come on man.

Baby Blue

Master
Ok, I understand. Something freezes me every 5-10 tiles and it's pretty annoying. It started right after zombie event began. Weird... maybe it's just me and a few others then.

I hope you guys enjoy it. UOF looks so empty every time when this event is going on. Please let me know when it's over so I'll try again. Ty.

Shane

Administrator
Staff member
??

you host the event - world saves go up by 20 seconds.

"can't say it's zombies" .. come on man.

It goes up because there's another facet of items/spawns and duplicates characters, that is okay, not a huge issue.
IF there's lag because of it, that is an issue though.

Ok, I understand. Something freezes me every 5-10 tiles and it's pretty annoying. It started right after zombie event began. Weird... maybe it's just me and a few others then.

I hope you guys enjoy it. UOF looks so empty every time when this event is going on. Please let me know when it's over so I'll try again. Ty.

Aye, one of the main reasons i don't like zombieland running is because it rips an unreal amount of players from the normal world, making it feel bare. It divides the player base totally. Currently there's been 111+ players in 2 days participating in zombie land that would normally be active in the actual world.

Is there a way to run zombieland on a separate server?

Yes this is possible for sure, but again, divides player base which isn't the best. Also it can create confusion for new players to change logins.

Peav

Grandmaster
It goes up because there's another facet of items/spawns and duplicates characters, that is okay, not a huge issue.

Aye, one of the main reasons i don't like zombieland running is because it rips an unreal amount of players from the normal world, making it feel bare. It divides the player base totally. Currently there's been 111+ players in 2 days participating in zombie land that would normally be active in the actual world.

Yes this is possible for sure, but again, divides player base which isn't the best. Also it can create confusion for new players to change logins.

Make double skill gain in the world when the event is running. So people chose playing normally or in trammel with zombies.

Bromista

Grandmaster

Hey Shane. The lag is absolutely because of zombieland, specifically becaise there is tons of aggro being generated on specific players.

Do you remember the time when I hounded you (wayyy back when) to get the Destard champ changed because of the mass aggro on the ledge? The spawn would spill into the "main" chamber of Destard, and if you stood at the top of the cliff and took the aggro from all of it at once you lagged out the entire server.

@the flube was doing it intentionally because he was trying to grief our champ on a blue because he couldn't do squat to us on his red. Remember that, flube? Even after telling him he was lagging the entire server and not just us and killing him repeatedly...he kept doing it, until I messaged you to inform you what was going on. You turned the champ into a server wide champ (we worked it for hours and ended up getting none of the PS) because all of the people crying about lag in IRC, and the spawn zone was fixed shortly after to keep the lag from happening.

The same thing is going on in Zombieland. Someone spawns in the desert, gets aggro from 1000 zombies, lags the server for a minute, dies, then all is well again.

I can promise you 100% that this is what is causing it. World saves go up for sure because of a whole other facet being saved, but aggro is 100% causing the lag.