Cap on number of guild members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonny26

Master
Hi all,

I imagine I will get slated for this suggestion but I personally think it's a good idea.

First off I just thought i would mention why I play here. My main uo enjoyments are pvm, idocs, playing my stealth thief, house deco, player buying and selling and champ spawns. Pvp is just something I have never really been great at or wanted to get into. Now I know this server is extremely pvp/pk oriented (which is something I can appreciate btw because one thing I do love about only fel is the risk/reward factor, ie getting fucked over by a red/thief when u have just lucked out on a ps/taming ss- I play my thief a lot!) but.... my main gripe is when it comes to idocs. What I have noticed recently is that one guild in particular (eqms- sorry guys) seems to swarm in droves at every, and I mean every single idoc. Now although pvp is fundamental to idocs when they are busy and everyone is competing for loot, but if one guild gets so big, other solo players, smaller guilds, casual guilds. and even fairly large guilds have very little to no chance of obtaining anything. If one guild can have so many members that it almost has a player base online 24/7 at any given point, it can extract the fun/prospect out of idocs altogether. So..... My suggestion is to cap the number of players to each guild to maybe 20. That way, if a guild was organised with a hardcore player base, it could still own an idoc, but it would be unlikely that everyone would be on at that specific time. I also think it would provide the quality over quantity factor many guilds end up having, even if not intended. I even think it would also promote more warring/tactical alliances between guilds as no guild wants to spa constantly with another when outnumbered 4 to 1 in every scenario.

I may get told to stfu and learn to pvp lol, but I would be interested to see other players opinions on this idea, also the opinions of players currently in eqms and other large guilds.

I Look forward to the responses :)

Bromista

Grandmaster
Disagree. The B rate players need to have a way to be competitive too.

Besides, the novelty has worn off for some and will wear off for the rest too eventually and they will fade back to obcscurity. No big deal.

GluttonySDS

Grandmaster
What do other guilds have as join fees? It must be much higher than ours if they cant recruit and keep a large team together like we do.

Loki_MTD

Master
A cap off on a guild would just result in a bunch of smaller guilds with alliances... and would be essentially the same thing.. just because people aren't in the "same guild" doesn't mean they won't roll together

wreckognize

Grandmaster
A cap off on a guild would just result in a bunch of smaller guilds with alliances... and would be essentially the same thing.. just because people aren't in the "same guild" doesn't mean they won't roll together

Using numbers is just as overpowered as speeding or autoheals since it comes from a third party capability that the mechanics can't control, voice chat. If devs capped guild size, it would be making a statement about unfair advantages in PvP, which is synonyms with it's apparent attitude towards item based pvp.(ie no bolas) So it's not completely out of the question to do so even though you make a fair point.

Realistically it's on par with speedhack or autoheal since you need capability outside of the game itself to control it. Third party always = god mode one way or another, but some things are still allowed like UOAM because it doesn't give an advantage in PvP over razor/sallos/steam, which are all accepted otherwise we'd be short on enough people to make the server function long term.

People come back to UO with the memory of a fair chance provided they have a little skill, not thinking that a UO freeserver staff would be willing to allow the players there to abuse third party programs to gain an unfair advantage, and we're missing that market I think.

Skye Wolfbane

Governor of Trinsic
And what about guilds like mine? I'm forced to kick out my members and choose 20 to stay?

No.

A responsible guild leader will control their growth. When we have big growth spurts, I close recruitment giving other guilds a shot at gaining members. All guilds should do the same however a mandatory cap is unfair. While EQMS is huge, in some ways charging 200K may slow that down. If not, then those people really want to be in that guild and they should be allowed to join the guild they think they'll find the enjoyment they are looking for.

wreckognize

Grandmaster
And what about guilds like mine? I'm forced to kick out my members and choose 20 to stay?

If it helps balance the game to be more fair even in a very small way, I feel it's each of our individual responsibilities to adapt where we can.

I'm sure you guys would be fine, think about it like this: You'd have to elect 10 new guildmasters, which is cause for celebration by itself, but at the end of the day you'd be alliance leader over 10 better coordinated groups.Youd also get to choose 8 new guildnames, and 8 new uniforms for them!

Now imagine if you will, if this hat was part of the deal?

046b61c76c45d9cd5054d1245ce6c8b9.jpg

Think about it.

GluttonySDS

Grandmaster
Other guilds simply need to lower their join fee so they can recruit more members and stay competitive with EQMS.

Lailoken

Journeyman
EQMS also offers something a lot of other guilds don't. The opportunity to learn to PVP from experienced PvP'ers and with out getting totally annihilated every time you go out by yourself or a buddy. Sure you can pick up some skills from tournaments,like timing. However those are controlled situations. When out in the UO "real world" , so-to-speak, things are different. There are no rules, anything goes. You can use any weapon, skill, armor, potion, pet, spell, or crazy battle cry you want.
EQMS offers the best chance at success at that type of play style. They are organized, they don't just roll like a crazy mob. It may seem like it but the mob that rolls up is organized. Each person has a job, they know how to kill and survive efficiently and quickly.

If you limit guild size you are really not doing anything that EQMS is not already doing in a way. From reading on these forums. EQMS also has other guilds for other types of play style.

To be honest I prefer PvM because I'm an old fart that just can't get the timing down like I used to in order to PvP on my stun mage like I did back when I was a young whipper snapper! :D

When I decide that I want to play more and play more aggressively I hope that I have the fee to join EQMS.
However, right now, I'm just having fun watching them roll past me while I'm hiding in a corner, or running from them and yes, even getting rolled over by them occasionally. If not for them, PvM would be actually very boring with out the excitement that they provide me and my current play style.

Thank you EQMS for being the PK'ing bastards you all are!! May you all die horribly from lag some day! :)

wreckognize

Grandmaster
EQMS also offers something a lot of other guilds don't. The opportunity to learn to PVP from experienced PvP'ers and with out getting totally annihilated every time you go out by yourself or a buddy. Sure you can pick up some skills from tournaments,like timing. However those are controlled situations. When out in the UO "real world" , so-to-speak, things are different. There are no rules, anything goes. You can use any weapon, skill, armor, potion, pet, spell, or crazy battle cry you want.
EQMS offers the best chance at success at that type of play style. They are organized, they don't just roll like a crazy mob. It may seem like it but the mob that rolls up is organized. Each person has a job, they know how to kill and survive efficiently and quickly.

If you limit guild size you are really not doing anything that EQMS is not already doing in a way. From reading on these forums. EQMS also has other guilds for other types of play style.

To be honest I prefer PvM because I'm an old fart that just can't get the timing down like I used to in order to PvP on my stun mage like I did back when I was a young whipper snapper! :D

When I decide that I want to play more and play more aggressively I hope that I have the fee to join EQMS.
However, right now, I'm just having fun watching them roll past me while I'm hiding in a corner, or running from them and yes, even getting rolled over by them occasionally. If not for them, PvM would be actually very boring with out the excitement that they provide me and my current play style.

Thank you EQMS for being the PK'ing bastards you all are!! May you all die horribly from lag some day! :)

Yeah, it is a damn fine hat.

Lord_Puffy

Grandmaster
Hi all,

I imagine I will get slated for this suggestion but I personally think it's a good idea.

First off I just thought i would mention why I play here. My main uo enjoyments are pvm, idocs, playing my stealth thief, house deco, player buying and selling and champ spawns. Pvp is just something I have never really been great at or wanted to get into. Now I know this server is extremely pvp/pk oriented (which is something I can appreciate btw because one thing I do love about only fel is the risk/reward factor, ie getting fucked over by a red/thief when u have just lucked out on a ps/taming ss- I play my thief a lot!) but.... my main gripe is when it comes to idocs. What I have noticed recently is that one guild in particular (eqms- sorry guys) seems to swarm in droves at every, and I mean every single idoc. Now although pvp is fundamental to idocs when they are busy and everyone is competing for loot, but if one guild gets so big, other solo players, smaller guilds, casual guilds. and even fairly large guilds have very little to no chance of obtaining anything. If one guild can have so many members that it almost has a player base online 24/7 at any given point, it can extract the fun/prospect out of idocs altogether. So..... My suggestion is to cap the number of players to each guild to maybe 20. That way, if a guild was organised with a hardcore player base, it could still own an idoc, but it would be unlikely that everyone would be on at that specific time. I also think it would provide the quality over quantity factor many guilds end up having, even if not intended. I even think it would also promote more warring/tactical alliances between guilds as no guild wants to spa constantly with another when outnumbered 4 to 1 in every scenario.

I may get told to stfu and learn to pvp lol, but I would be interested to see other players opinions on this idea, also the opinions of players currently in eqms and other large guilds.

no.

Weland

Grandmaster
Sorry but if you limit the amount of players in a guild then they will just have, and just using the accused, EQMS and EQMS 2 and have an alliance. Not going to solve anything. Best way to compete with a large group like EQMS is team up with other guilds and figure out how you're going to split the gains amongst each other.

Skye Wolfbane

Governor of Trinsic
While I don't like the idea...wreck made some interesting points. We also need to consider not all guilds are pvp guilds. But I think this is a good discussion about it and hope to see it kept on track and on topic.

Weland

Grandmaster
I see what wreck is saying but it doesn't address the issue of the OP which is mass amounts of pk's/reds coordinating together. His post just further validates that breaking up a large pk into smaller pk guilds working together in an alliance will make them more effective. Which is the basis for wanting to do it period.

The frustration is real but this isn't the solution. Guilds need to work together. Amass the numbers and fight back against EQMS and other large guilds and split the loot. Alliances need to be more than just sub sections of the larger core guild. Work together to over come this as a community and don't try to get the admins to fix it for you.

As much as I don't like it along with everyone else you have to admit they put the time and effort to get where they are. Punishing them just says, "Hey if you're successful the devs will come after you."

This isn't an attack on anyone just my personal thoughts on the matter.

Jonny26

Master
Thanks for ur viewpoints on the initial post. It has opened my eyes to potential issues regarding the suggested cap. for instance alliance after alliance just creating another huge guild and nothing actually changing. This kind of thing could also be moderated by reducing the number of alliances that could made (I know - one step further to an idea people are not buying anyway - lol), I honestly think this would just make a difference with things such as tactics/ trust/communication/selective process for guild leaders/players to prove themselves even more within a guild/red to blue - tamer to archer ratios etc....

I have been in guilds in the past (won't mention names) and have witnessed/and had it happen to myself, when there is such a large number in a guild and the leaders lose track of exactly who and when they signed someone up, that an unannounced roster clean up takes place, often happening to not only the uncommitted players, but the casual ones too. If this happens to you, your not exactly going to want roll with that same guild again. it also seems the leaders were more
Interested in numbers as opposed to wanting to run an efficient machine. Just stressing my point about quality over quantity again. :)

GluttonySDS

Grandmaster
So hilarious to see people cry about EQMS when there are alliances twice as large as ours... sorry theyre leaders are trash players who dont know how to PVP, not my fault bruv.

Cack

Grandmaster
Hi all,

Wait you buy and sell players. Let me know when Gluttony come on the auction block.
And no to the suggestion. Limiting in uo is a slippery slope.

Last edited by a moderator:

GimpCent

Grandmaster
Lets say the cap is 100, and my guild is 200 people guess what I will just make two guilds to hold everyone.....

Silly rules for silly people

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.