Faction Thief's

GluttonySDS

Grandmaster
Sorry that 30mins of your 20hours a day on UO is spent fighting a thief who is playing the game how he wants... if only everyone could just explode/eb eachother with honor*.

*not sure if honor and the CoM group of known cheaters should be used in the same sentence

My main issue is the trolling by stockless thieves just causes people to go out and hunt someone down for a half hour and it takes away from pvp.
killing a stealth mongbat just takes away from pvp that could be happening.
Stealing = PvP. You want consensual PvP play a trammy shard bro. Just cuz they aren't trying to kill u doesn't mean its not one player versus another. You have to hunt them so long because the game for the thief is surviving, not killing, and its already difficult enough to survive and have an impact on the factions as a thief with the current system.

Bromista

Grandmaster
Disagree. Thieves are already gimped even on a 5x, so pt farming would be lamer than thieves doing the one thing they are in factions to do. Not to mention lame fights.

A thief who is truly playing his template relies on winning a war of attrition to defeat his opponent. Wars of attrition take time. Time in a faction fight = gank. Sure you can set out for faction pts on a thief, but that wouldn't be all that fruitful and would cut into time spent fighting on a proper mage for pts.

Requiring pts on a thief would mean gayer and dumber fights on days where sigils aren't even up.

I'd rather not have that.

Jani

Grandmaster
I don't see faction thieves as a problem right now even though they aren't risking anything. Why? Because there isn't that much faction thieves around and this would make capturing towns so much easier which isn't what we want, is it? Also, I agree with @GluttonySDS about [warmap and stealing messages which makes playing a faction thief so much harder. Faction tracking alone should be good enough.

I wouldn't add punkte requirements, at least not yet, because I don't see what is the problem really. If anything a bit longer stat loss for faction thieves (would make resetting sigils significantly easier). Having positive points is nice, but it shouldn't affect too much. We want all kind of players enjoy factions, not just "elite players", right?

Last edited by a moderator:

agauo

Master
The problem is when people cockroach around with a thief that has no regs, pots, or points. They lose absolutely nothing but you waste time/resources having to track/kill them. I don't see how anyone can argue that this is in any way fun or beneficial to factions. It feels more like a chore than anything and isn't rewarding at all.

Let the people honor their points over. At least you will gain points when you kill them instead of seeing "That victim is not worth enough points." every 6 minutes while gaining absolutely nothing while they risk absolutely nothing.

If nothing else maybe make thiefs with negative points have a much much longer stat time. It's the same people that just cockroach in on their -6 thief and try to steal over and over again.

halygon

Grandmaster
The problem is when people cockroach around with a thief that has no regs, pots, or points. They lose absolutely nothing but you waste time/resources having to track/kill them. I don't see how anyone can argue that this is in any way fun or beneficial to factions. It feels more like a chore than anything and isn't rewarding at all.

Let the people honor their points over. At least you will gain points when you kill them instead of seeing "That victim is not worth enough points." every 6 minutes while gaining absolutely nothing while they risk absolutely nothing.

If nothing else maybe make thiefs with negative points have a much much longer stat time. It's the same people that just cockroach in on their -6 thief and try to steal over and over again.
Some might argue that having someone on a dedicated thief character would remove one more enemy combatant from action, thus changing the playing field altogether.

agauo

Master
Some might argue that having someone on a dedicated thief character would remove one more enemy combatant from action, thus changing the playing field altogether.

Are you trolling? The reason they do this isn't because they are looking for fights.. It's a single thief with no loot, no points, and no backup trying to stealth in and steal sigils. If the case were that they were coming in with a group and actually try to fight with a thief also present I would agree, but that is not the situation you see at all. I'm all for actual fighting for sigs. Having cockroach thiefs able to do what they do currently is taking away from that fighting. Instead of actually grouping up and fighting for the sigils they can just have some no lifer go in every 5 minutes and hope nobody responds fast enough for the 100th time that night.

GluttonySDS

Grandmaster
I dont see how he's trolling? Thieves have a place in factions and its not just spamming punkte and trying to gank people.

agauo

Master
I guess you consider that place recalling in no loot -6 points and trying to stealth around to steal sigils every 5 minutes..

On Darkfall it would be the equivalent of running around with a rank 0 weapon. I am sure you all knew all too well about that though

It's a single thief with no loot, no points, and no backup trying to stealth in and steal sigils.

I feel like the obvious solution is to cast paralyze, or place faction poison traps they must walk over. Plus doesn't someone coming to the base to steal sigils alleviate some of the boredom associated with guarding sigs?

I'm actually amazed this thread still exists. When I saw it the first time I laughed so hard because I thought there was no possible way anyone could take this seriously. Yet here we are.

GluttonySDS

Grandmaster
I guess when you play UO 20hours a day you feel entitled to have everything your way... not everyone in factions is into PVP, some people just want to steal sigils. I feel badly for these people because of all the automated messages and tracking through the war map their style is severely hampered, doing this would ruin it completely.

Not everyone is into hardcore PVP all the time(even if many of us are).

halygon

Grandmaster
Are you trolling? The reason they do this isn't because they are looking for fights.. It's a single thief with no loot, no points, and no backup trying to stealth in and steal sigils. If the case were that they were coming in with a group and actually try to fight with a thief also present I would agree, but that is not the situation you see at all. I'm all for actual fighting for sigs. Having cockroach thiefs able to do what they do currently is taking away from that fighting. Instead of actually grouping up and fighting for the sigils they can just have some no lifer go in every 5 minutes and hope nobody responds fast enough for the 100th time that night.
Whether they are looking for fights, sneaking in, or para ganking you, it is your role as a sigil defender to defend your base. I've been there tons of times myself here and on other shards. There are things you can do to defend against thieves other than changing game mechanics. We had a talk about this in staff chat just the other day about the best way to defend bases and we all came up with multiple creative ways to do it with the current mechanics.

I guess what it comes down to is that there have always been stealth thieves in factions and defenders have always had to defend against them. I am not sure why it is such an issue now. Valid arguments for this suggestion is always welcome, but what I have heard so far does not seem to be moving enough for the dev staff to take action yet.

GluttonySDS

Grandmaster
Not to mention with the war map and the automated messages its nearly impossible to be a true faction thief now...(which kind of sucks).

agauo

Master
I guess some people want actual rewarding fights and some just want to be able to recall in with no loot, no risk, and no fun over and over again 100x a night every 5 minutes when they are out of stat.

Two trains of thought of thinking here, but I guess I understand your point of view. I mean who would want to actually risk losing something while playing this game amirite?