Losing 1/2 kills in stat loss

Snickle

Grandmaster
I don't understand why this was put in place.
I guess to give reds more incentive to pay the bounty to not be put into stat loss/lose half kills.
Reds will see the Top Murderers Board and thrive to be on there (at least that's my goal).
What's happening is, since a red loses half of his kills when he gets put into stat, all it is accomplishing is increased griefing.

I've never been a fan of killing players at GY or at afk dungeon spots. When I roll through a dungeon on my red I see afk ppl training all the time and never attack them. Now, I'm so anxious to get my kill count back up that I'm killing everyone and anyone I can see. Even the blues at destard who res up and are redlined. I've caught myself killing them a lot more often simply because I get a quick, free count from it. Normally, I'd drop two Gheals on them before I recall out.

A player who is trying to be the player with the most counts/kills will now NEVER go into a dungeon where he has risk of losing half of his kills. Instead, they'll camp places like Bards table, AFK dungeon spots and Brit GY to get their kills/counts without the risk of losing half of them from ONE death.

I think this system will only increase the griefing of new players and that will outweigh the incentive to pay bounty to avoid the penalty of losing 1/2 our counts.

Also, the current players on the Top Murderer Leader boards will never play those characters again to maintain they remain on top of that list. If they were to play them, go into stat once, and lose 100-400 counts, they'd surely be upset. It also makes it impossible for us PKs to now catch up to them.

I think the old system worked perfectly. I mean yea, I have 3 reds. So if you get my head on one I might tell you "put me in stat idc i have 2 other PKs to play." But in reality, I'd much rather play my primary one rather then go into stat for 2 days where I'm not accumulating kills. I think the purpose of this system was already established because I'd go 2 days w/o adding to my kill count so that's incentive enough to pay 25k to continue building my counts.

Anyways just my 2 cents. I hope the staff takes a look at this with an open mind.
I don't see the point in having Murderers lose their counts. It will just increase griefing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't understand why this was put in place.
I guess to give reds more incentive to pay the bounty to not be put into stat loss/lose half kills.
Reds will see the Top Murderers Board and thrive to be on there (at least that's my goal).
What's happening is, since a red loses half of his kills when he gets put into stat, all it is accomplishing is increased griefing.

I've never been a fan of killing players at GY or at afk dungeon spots. When I roll through a dungeon on my red I see afk ppl training all the time and never attack them. Now, I'm so anxious to get my kill count back up that I'm killing everyone and anyone I can see. Even the blues at destard who res up and are redlined. I've caught myself killing them a lot more often simply because I get a quick, free count from it.

A player who is trying to be the player with the most counts/kills will now NEVER go into a dungeon where he has risk of losing half of his kills. Instead, they'll camp places like Bards table, AFK dungeon spots and Brit GY to get their kills/counts without the risk of losing half of them from ONE death.

I think this system will only increase the griefing of new players and that will outweigh the penalties of losing 1/2 our counts.

Also, the current players on the Top Murderer Leader boards will never play those characters again to maintain they remain on top of that list. If they were to play them, go into stat once, and lose 100-400 counts, they'd surely be upset. It also makes it impossible for us PKs to now catch up to them.

Anyways just my 2 cents. I hope the staff takes a look at this with an open mind.
I don't see the point in having Murderers lose their counts. It will just increase griefing.

Yeah, i agree. I think this system was put into place to help murderers by lessening the time of their next statloss. I think a gump should possibly pop up asking if you want your kills to be 1/2'd as many people look at their murder count as a good thing.

wreckognize

Grandmaster
wasn't aware of this at all, myself. Are you sure it was intentional? I guess this is only for the leaderboard for kills, and not actual murder counts? Maybe I missed this in the patch notes?

+1 though this should be fixed

Snickle

Grandmaster
yea ive gone from 122 kill to 61 kill.
That's like weeks of work for me erased in one stat loss
:(

wreckognize

Grandmaster
i mean in all honesty you can just kill your own char at a shrine over and over to get the count back up. You did at least earn the 122 so nobody would think ill of you for doing so now.

Snickle

Grandmaster
i mean in all honesty you can just kill your own char at a shrine over and over to get the count back up. You did at least earn the 122 so nobody would think ill of you for doing so now.
I won't do that for the same reason I don't use easyuo or uosteam.
I prefer to not cheat :)

Geriatric

Expert
i think they should remove that little window that shows which red has the highest murder count
its encouraging competition and people will look for easy kills in miners and new players
if you want a competition to see who the best red is

then track numbers like
the amount of times the red has died
the amount of times he has been statted
and the amount of gold he has paid to avoid stat loss

Snickle

Grandmaster
track numbers like
the amount of times the red has died
the amount of times he has been statted
and the amount of gold he has paid to avoid stat loss
I'm down to remove that top murderers board if they put in those other stats.
Real cool idea.
+1

Looking at the other side of the coin then..

Whats the incentive to pay your bounty, and not log into your other 3-5 reds people have? At least with this system if you do care about your kill points you'll pay the bounty to retain them.

Also the leader board would be filled up with bad reds who just take easy kills and get statted all the time.

Miners and new player areas (shame 1 & graveyards) are already gank zones by bad reds (247). Id bet my house on it that changing the system wouldn't make a difference to new people getting ganked.

In fact i believe it would get worst, Now the bad reds know they have a chance to get up to the top of the leader board so they would kill/res-kill everyone in sight where as now they have no chance.

Snickle

Grandmaster
Looking at the other side of the coin then..
Whats the incentive to pay your bounty, and not log into your other 3-5 reds people have? At least with this system if you do care about your kill points you'll pay the bounty to retain them.

Already answered this in my original post.

yea, I have 3 reds. So if you get my head on one I might tell you "put me in stat idc i have 2 other PKs to play." But in reality, I'd much rather play my primary one rather then go into stat for 2 days where I'm not accumulating kills. I think the purpose of this system was already established because I'd go 2 days w/o adding to my kill count so that's incentive enough to pay 25k to continue building my counts.

http://uoforever.com/bountysystem.php

UNIQUE BOUNTY HUNTER & MURDERER SYSTEM

Ultima Online Forever has possibly one of the most unique, balanced and fun bounty systems that has ever been seen in the game before. When creating this we knew we had to not only have balance, but it had to be done in such a way so that murderers could not use or abuse the system to their personal advantage at all. While murdering people can be a quick way to wealth, bounty hunting and killing murderers can quickly become profitable now too.

We realize that 90% of adventurers who are being murdered at any given time are most likely at the total mercy of the player who is murderer or PKing(Player-killing) them. We thought it would only be fair to make it so if a noble adventurer ever kills a murderer or player-killer, that the Murderer should be at the mercy of the adventurer for a change!

....So that is exactly what we implemented..

THINGS TO REMEMBER
  • To open the negotiation gump, simply double click the severed head.
  • To see how many kills a murderer may have on a head you've severed, view the bounty board at the banks.
  • There are no longer long and short term counts, it is all justified by "kills" only.
  • To see your kills or stat loss type "I must consider my sins".
  • 1 KILL = 30 Minutes of Temporary Stat loss. There is no permanent stat loss.
  • You will get stat loss of any counts over 2. So if you have 2 counts, no stat loss, 3 counts is one and a half hour stat loss.
  • If you receive stat loss with kills greater than 50, your kills will be halved so that your next stat loss is not as severe.
  • Temporary Stat loss applied to BOTH Reds AND Blues!
  • 1 KILL Will decay EVERY 24 Hours.
  • If you are Player Killed you will have an option to give a kill or not to.
  • Severed heads WILL rot (turn green) after 10 HOURS making them useless to turn in for stat loss.
  • Stat/Skill loss percentage is 40%.
  • Players may track kills through the Bounty Board.
  • There is a maximum stat loss of 48 hours.
  • Stat loss is only implemented on a player when their severed head is dropped onto one of the bounty collectors
The wording of that seems like it is supposed to be good for the murderer that his kills are cut in half. That is why i think a gump would be appropriate so you can keep your kill count if you want to.

Or even something you can toggle on the murder board so that you can turn off the kill count getting cut in half. So that it just automatically keeps your kills if you want it to.

yea, I have 3 reds. So if you get my head on one I might tell you "put me in stat idc i have 2 other PKs to play." But in reality, I'd much rather play my primary one rather then go into stat for 2 days where I'm not accumulating kills.

So whats different from the system that's in place now? You pay your bounty then you don't go stat and you don't lose half your kills?

As you said "put me in stat idc i have 2 other PKs to play.". That's what a lot of the reds do now already with kills getting cut in half, If you remove that penalty, why would that all of a sudden change?

Im still sayin' that
So whats different from the system that's in place now? You pay your bounty then you don't go stat and you don't lose half your kills?

As you said "put me in stat idc i have 2 other PKs to play.". That's what a lot of the reds do now already with kills getting cut in half, If you remove that penalty, why would that all of a sudden change?

The fact of the matter is, this is not supposed to be a penalty. If you dont understand, please refer to the thread that you possibly havent read.

So if its not a penalty, Why does he want it changed? Or is he saying he doesn't like the benefit? Please refer to the thread that you obviously haven't read.

wreckognize

Grandmaster
he takes pride in his kill count. that's all. being higher up on the bounty board is an honor to some.

maybe theres a way to do it without effecting murder counts? i dunno

Yeah i understand fully understand people taking pride in their count. But shouldn't the murderers at the top of the board be who ever hasn't died? The murderers at the top shouldn't be knocked down places by some newbie red who ganks in graveyards/newbie areas but dies a shitload.

There should be some sort of kill count lose for dying, perhaps not 50% but closer to 10-20%?

Snickle

Grandmaster
I take it as a punishment, not a benefit. I'm not going to complain about the 2 days of stat loss. I'd rather have 500 kills and be in 2 days of stat loss then 40 kills and be in 20 hours of stat loss. I'd prefer 2 days of stat, by a long shot.

It's really a shame that because of the whining pks who hate stat loss that this whole counts cutting was put into place. What's 2 days without being on that particular PK? You have 8 character slots to use.

I like building my murder counts. When I was at 122 I was pumped. Then when this change came out, I went to 61 and felt extremely cheated. Weeks of hard work and gaming, gone in an instant. Anyone would be upset about this. No matter what the specifics are. Whether it's farming 5 mil in a week or getting 60 kills. Weeks of gaming disappearing in a moment isn't attractive to anyone.

Anyways it was just my thoughts on the matter. Now the staff has to listen to me complain about a new system that was supposed to be met positively by these "pks" but here I am, complaining :D. You can't make everyone happy.

Hopefully the staff will look into working out a compromise. Some see this feature as a benefit, some see it as a punishment. I can totally see me being the minority that consider it a punishment though as most people hate stat loss (I do too but understand and accept it as a perfect system - as long as my counts aren't halved-). Again, what's 2 days of not being on that particular character? If you only have one character and he's your sole purpose of playing with your guildies, guess what? You have something to do for the next 3-4 days. Make another character.

Snickle

Grandmaster

Because there are players out there that don't offer a bounty. They just stat you immediately and for me to lose weeks of gaming over one guy (who got butt hurt from years of pks) wanting to stat me w/o making 25k, I lose that hard work.

Yeah i understand fully understand people taking pride in their count. But shouldn't the murderers at the top of the board be who ever hasn't died? The murderers at the top shouldn't be knocked down places by some newbie red who ganks in graveyards/newbie areas but dies a shitload.

There should be some sort of kill count lose for dying, perhaps not 50% but closer to 10-20%?
I don't roll 4-5 deep. I don't PK in groups. I pk by myself. So when a guild of 4-5 reds come in and gank me, stat me and move on, I'm accepting of this. They bested me. Cool. If they DID offer me a bounty, I'd accept it easily so I can continure accumulating counts on this particular PK. That's the incentive I'd have to pay the bounty.
I just don't think I should lose half my counts for one gank/stat loss.

Bottom line, a compromise should be reached and I think someone mentioned a gump appearing upon being statted that will ask the PK if he wants to lose half of his murder counts to reduce his next stat loss. Awesome compromise IMO.