Not trying to be a Nancy Downer..

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Shane

all I'm saying is....
the infamous quote " we will never be a neon shard"

strobe items......whhhhhaaaaat in thee hellllll made yall thought that was better than your definition of not going to "neon" colors....

1000's of other colors to do a bod hue swap
without being close to neon-like strobe items in game....

just recommending that, we need to see ice blue hats/helm slot items and other colors Already IN game before focusing on the strobes bruh.... X_x

The truth? People who don't want that stuff are actually the vocal minority.
Something i found out myself first hand as i was the same as you. We won't for sure have blaze mounts or anything, we also won't have ICE colored crap.

I think seeing 10 blaze items when you run past the bank is a small price to pay to play free, with a server that pays it staff to keep up with all your needs, including marketing to keep the rotating fresh blood on the server flowing for you guys to play with.

So until those who are offended by the odd BLAZE or pure white item starts paying our bills, then i'm not sure what ground there is to stand on.

S

Shane

I should add that playing free is easily done and isn't much to boast about here, but playing free with the amount of large playerbase we currently have and are still growing? That's where the worth is.

I honestly never thought i'd add blaze into this game when we first started, but people really enjoy it, and if one blaze item pays for the marketing to get 10 more people here, then who the fuck cares about that blaze item.

There's stuff in here i never though't i'd add (meta pets), but turned out to be REALLY great for the server in the long run and players really appreciate it. This is why we have other people on staff that have equal say and if i just kept it to "my ideas only", i would eventually run out.

It's a team effort.

C

Carl

When we first started we were pretty era accurate. One thing you learn though from years of private servers is that eventually players get bored with the same thing over and over again especially with the game being 16 years old and so much other stuff out their. Some players can only play the game in moderation.

So we tried to fix that by thinking outside the box with a lot of our content and systems / engines and we will continue to improve on the things we currently have while adding new things.

We carefully monitor things we add sometimes they turn out to be a bad decision in which case we will always own up too and fix it.

We have a strong team and a very strong player base who are very loyal and not a bunch of server hoppers.

Nahz

Apprentice
I really was going to leave this one up to our PR guy to keep up with but i am pretty proud of our players who stood their ground here and challenged the OP.

--------------------------

His accounts in game are two weeks old, his forum account was at 20 or so posts and although it is possible he wasn't trolling or fishing, the way he presented the post definitely came off as such, specially being such a new player.

He talks about it as if he has been here for a long, long time while portraying a self entitlement that he should be recognized by you guys as a veteran UOF player, but asks more of a lets "stir the pot and see who grabs the spoon with me" type question.

I was open minded to him until he posted this as a response to why UOF is the best:

Basically he is suggesting that the only reason we are "the best" is because there aren't any other larger servers going right now.
As the veteran player he portrays himself as you would think he would know that we have not only been the one and only server to take on, and over-come the largest, longest free ran server for the last 10 years (uoforever), but also many other servers that have popped up over the years, a few that even had direct goal agenda's to "take us out".

The facts?
Ultima Online Forever started from nothing, with no previous brand help (such as UOAC with IPY, IPY with WTFMAN, uoforever with RUNUO)

Ultima Online Forever has had the absolute most solid, concrete track record in regards to no corruption, no large economy wrecking bugs, and the best professionalism possible.

Ultima Online Forever is the only large server to continue to release and keep up interests even TWO years later.

Ultima Online Forever is something players seem to really enjoy, it no longer needs to be sold because well... It sells itself.

Ultima Online Forever has continually set the bar for all other free-servers. Before Ultima Online Forever, previous free-servers put little to no effort into marketing, their image, their website, social media or their brand. It was server after server of "that will be good enough". For Ultima Online Forever, nothing is good enough and there's always room for improvement.

Economy was an issue? We fixed it.
PvP needed work? We listened.
More PvM content? You got it.
Sell me 7x skill ball? Not even once.

With the facts above listed, and i could post many more, keep in mind this was all built while keeping a steady large playerbase that we have had through this entire time. God knows we've had some serious, serious bumps to overcome through our times here but we ALWAYS ensure everything is normal to the everyday player, and most players probably haven't a clue that these problems have occurred. That is because that is not their problem, it is ours. They just have to play.

I just want to say i'm proud that our players stood up to this and not only stood up, but challenged this mans veteran viewed questions as he is a new player here.

If someone has something to say just say it... What happened here is equivalent to showing a car crash, and a Chinese woman and saying "what do you think?"

It's portraying something without actually saying it, and that really grinds my gears.

I wasn't trying to come off as a UOF vet. My accounts are 305 days old but my playtime is only 48 hours because my friends and I had just come from IPY 2 or were playing it at the time, I vaguely remember. Unfortunately we got burnt out and didn't stick to this wonderful shard you guys have built. For that I am sorry.

As far as the trolling and fishing thing goes, Shane..I understand that in this culture of UOF/UO players (and in the modern age of the internet in general), we are constantly trolling one another, others are also coming in with negative attitudes and talking shit about you guys. I realize the adversity you have faced with UOF has been great (I've seen a ton of shards rise and fall) and I tried but obviously failed in my OP and 2nd OP to let you and the others know how i felt about UOF before asking these questions as to elude being ignored or accused as a troll or someone who is here to bash the shard...it's just part of your every day lives to deal with this sort of thing so in regards to your knee-jerk & sway towards the fact that I came here to waste my time spitting in the face of a shard I came back to because I know its a well founded megalithic icon amongst a forest of failures; I will tell you and the others, again, i'm sorry and your assumption is wrong and I appologize for my execution as I had no intention on an ill-natured post. The reason I asked if it were because no one else knows how to run a shard is a legitimate question not a bash; It's a possibility and I haven't been a strong member of the UO community for almost over 2 years.

The topic obviously needed to be addressed as there are people including yourself who grabbed the spoon and stirred the pot with me. What's wrong with that though? Honestly?! It's healthy. Why talk about it like its some kind of trap? I didn't make a post talking about how "ghey" it was or what a crap shard this is..I honestly wanted to talk about it, but since you can't hear the tone of my voice on a forum (just like in a text message to an upset girlfriend) things get taken out of context and thrown out of proportion.

I see that Carl has left a nice healthy response while i tap this out to you guys (seen from my Tapatalk) it is very welcome. Also, the information you provided, Shane, is also very very welcome; bit bittersweet, but I guess i'm just as guilty so i'll take it. I also thank the constructive posts I got here and will say once again i'm very glad the devs stepped in, even in frustration, to make this very clear to me and hopefully more players. These are the kinds of questions that will be in the backs of peoples heads while looking for new servers or playing this one. It doesn't mean anything negative about your shard, its just human psychology and now it doesn't have to be a question anymore.

Thanks again and i'm looking forward to supporting the server with myself, my friends and my American currency. (I hope thats still worth something lol)

The Grixxitt

Apprentice
I think what this guy is asking for is a repository of everything different in UO:F from a basic UOR or T2A server, i.e. the wiki.

Fuck I was gone less than a year and am at a loss for how certain skills are being handled, much less the new areas, Chaos/Order, etc.
AND WTF IS A METAPET?!?!

c6912089d58fe824549c538d48b7dc0a49c4042a101bb0aeb10e2eff926640d8.jpg

Until the wiki is "more finished" I would expect confusion as a natural state from anyone coming in expecting a pristine UOR-era environment, especially for entirely new areas and skills which have gone through multiple changes/nerfs/un-nerfs/"re-balances" etc. in UOF's lifespan

Nahz

Apprentice
I think what this guy is asking for is a repository of everything different in UO:F from a basic UOR or T2A server, i.e. the wiki.

Fuck I was gone less than a year and am at a loss for how certain skills are being handled, much less the new areas, Chaos/Order, etc.
AND WTF IS A METAPET?!?!

Until the wiki is "more finished" I would expect confusion as a natural state from anyone coming in expecting a pristine UOR-era environment, especially for entirely new areas and skills which have gone through multiple changes/nerfs/un-nerfs/"re-balances" etc. in UOF's lifespan

This was my exact angle. Maybe it was my approach but the villainy and defensive responses I got were embarrassing. It wasn't about the new content being a bad idea it was more about how "A returning player could find it pretty hard to gain footing with his/her retro knowledge of the game when a lot of it has been custom-tailored." and "if there is a thread or source of information im missing to help new and returning players focus themselves into an efficient direction more easily."

I really dont know how many more hugs you need to avoid being offended by that. I just wanted direction on where to get up to date on the current content of the shard.

not to mention "FYI, I haven't explored the new content so, again, my post here isn't to bash it..I legitimately want to know your philosophy in regards to it." which is a disclaimer to bashing the shard, an ownership to my ignorance, and a gentle invitation on what the playerbase thinks.

The comments on unorthodox crafting weren't a bash either, I read some forums and saw a few things on different types of wood and I had no idea what it was about, the soulforge, materials, ect. Maybe "unorthodox" was a strong word but again I've apologized 700 times.

Then my last paragraph on how this is THE server to play on.

I'm just kinda ticked that i offended some of you, including the admin, which was not my intention. I think i've made myself overly clear by this point though and I won't beat a dead horse any longer so i digress.

Nice BG avatar man! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Shane

The wiki is up to date as Halygon works on it quiet often and the search functions work fine on the forum here so you have full access to all information.

As i said before at first glance it did read like you generally wanted help, however, the only part that offended me was the part that you put forward of saying "is Ultima Online Forever only awesome because it is slim pickings" aka basically putting it out there that we are here and "awesome" because there are no rival servers (when reality has been there have been many, we just outlasted them).

That comment had absolutely nothing to do with you wanting information about the new stuff on the server or actually any part of your original post. At that point it looked like you were trolling.

Nahz said:
Is that due to slim pickinz' though?

No biggy though, i hope you Enjoy UOF and just play it for awhile then ask the questions and i'm certain you won't be challenged on those said questions

Status
Not open for further replies.