Phase Shift Revamp - Serious Comments ONLY

Ariakan99

Grandmaster
I just want to say that it's the only zerker relic I have, it's lvl 8, and I have never had one issue with it.

Admittedly I don't use him a ton anymore but he has gotten some mileage.
I have all the relics and this is by far the one I like most. Very versatile and fun to use. I actually have to think when using it and the same goes for tread.

Bromista

Grandmaster
My favorite instance was a Cove elemental invasion, I was hitting a Sphinx and a Hydra in the same attack with a Vanq +20 war hammer.

Placed high on both and dropped a Hydra statue in my pack :)

wreckognize

Grandmaster
Changing it to one hop. It seems like a gimme at that point. There will be zero risk or skill in using it.

Since when does there need to be risk or skill in using a relic? Doesn't it already take risk or skill to get in the first place?

And if this was actually a valid argument, then I suppose we would have to change all the other relics that don't require risk or skill to benefit from, which include:

Doublestrike
Vivify
Focus
Dispersion
Shadow Disciple
Leech
Quench
Recoil
Remedy
Infected Wounds
Tread
(Every other meta dexer relic for those who didn't realize)

Just change it to one targeted hop and each level adds damage and be done with it. To be honest I can think of examples where you punish players for becoming skilled after taking the hard, tamerless road, so it's hard to see you advocating it's neccessity when it's not even a valid argument.

It's a game, it's supposed to be fun, not make you feel powerless in the endgame.

Bromista

Grandmaster
Punish is a strong word. A little too strong to be used in this situation, quite frankly.

Powerless is another very strong word. A little too strong to be used in this situation, quite frankly.

Dramsies.

Ariakan99

Grandmaster
Got to make compromises rather than being punished. Just like the all powerful Provo tamer with a meta - you cannot have resist and wrestling on that build.

wreckognize

Grandmaster
Punish wasn't meant for this situation, never said it was. In one situation he weighed grind over skill and then in this situation skill is more important than grind, which to me points to a personal bias.

Powerless is the best word to describe the situation OP is complaining about. It's a chore for everyone doing MotM in despise to have to waste time killing all the giant snakes and giant rats just so they don't get pulled away from a corpse with a relic sitting on it when there's 5 other players there ready to snag it.

Don't forget there's also situations that you aren't even able to clear the non targeted mobs to ensure you don't get pulled away from the target corpse which makes you completely unable to use your endgame, hard grinded warrior, while others are able to use the same template without the level 10 relic. It just doesn't make sense.

Likely the best solution is to make it only teleport to a single target and then increase the damage. This way you eliminate the cons while keeping the pro's in terms of total damage.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bromista

Grandmaster
Solution time:

Phase starts off doing weaker damage spread out between three different mobs. As it levels it goes to two targets with medium damage, then one target with higher damage, and one more progression to increase damage.

Don't like the multi phase? Incentive to level and easily macrod with your fists, a grizzly bear, and a boat.

Sounds like a country song.

wreckognize

Grandmaster
not sure why we need to go to all the trouble of coding it that way when all it does is incentivize the afk macroing of the relic. Not exactly player interaction friendly and doesn't solve the problem of the OP for the majority of it's users.

dobber

Grandmaster
Solution time:

Phase starts off doing weaker damage spread out between three different mobs. As it levels it goes to two targets with medium damage, then one target with higher damage, and one more progression to increase damage.

Don't like the multi phase? Incentive to level and easily macrod with your fists, a grizzly bear, and a boat.

Sounds like a country song.

I kind of like this idea too. You start with a shitty relic and train it up to a good one not like the reverse it is right now.

not sure why we need to go to all the trouble of coding it that way when all it does is incentivize the afk macroing of the relic. Not exactly player interaction friendly and doesn't solve the problem of the OP for the majority of it's users.

Every relic currently besides phase shift is incentivized to afk macro bc every other relic is inherently better in the later levels. Your argument doesnt really hold up here about player interaction friendly. This would solve part of the issue (jumping to death traps), but you'll still see katanas on every fully decked out berserker.

wreckognize

Grandmaster
why katanas?

Also, my point was that the relic would still carry the flaws that you've pointed out in the early stages with bromistas solution, which makes it virtually unplayable in some situations.

People don't need to grind the other relics to get past any flaws; doing so is not forced by the mechanics for players with playstyles that revolve around things like champs like it would be with bromistas solution.

With the other relics, AFK grinding to level 10 is a preference. As would be phase shift if my solution were implemented.

dobber

Grandmaster
Why katanas?

Have you read my other posts in this thread?

Again, phase shift costing stamina is only an issue for people that use two-handed weapons. One-handers don't lose any DPS as they can instantly chug a refresh potion right after phase shifting. For two-handers, unequipping/chugging/reequipping does not happen instantaneously, fastest I can do it consistently is around 2-3 seconds. That's a loss of a swing right there amounting to 100+ damage with a slayer. Also, do you know about resetting swing timer? That's another swing lost and another 100+ damage. So using a two-hander is comepletely inefficient and the damage gained for this relic is lost through needing to refresh making this relic useless for two-handers.

eppy

Grandmaster
This relic is by far best used with two handers. Use a two hander for the phase and switch to the one hander to finish.

dobber

Grandmaster
This relic is by far best used with two handers. Use a two hander for the phase and switch to the one hander to finish.

This is great if you want to do 500+ damage in a single hit, but the switching weapons will also cause loss of DPS so it doesn't do more damage or at least not much more if any. Also, running around with 40-100k worth of weapons is pretty damn risky for not being able to come close to Cino (metamage) in invasions.

ProdigyOsi

Grandmaster
How about this.
One jump.
no damage increase on hit.
spawn x mirror images with high agro but very low hits/damage.

dobber

Grandmaster
This is unfair. @hApPyNoOb had no problem staying ahead of him for the one day event.
Cino took time off and didn't sleep for two weeks, you didn't, this is why you couldn't keep up.

Fair enough. But, my point is that he has nothing to risk and can get just as high a score as someone risking 40k+.

eppy

Grandmaster
No one has ever cared about mages until cino so there wasn't a lot of balancing like the dexers got.

wreckognize

Grandmaster
Fair enough. But, my point is that he has nothing to risk and can get just as high a score as someone risking 40k+.

For meta mages the downside is the time it takes to train the talisman. Also the cost of slayer spellbook if that's the case. Also governed by mana and reg cost and downtime to resupply.

Back on topic though, phase shift is still the odd man out of all the relics because it's the only one with such serious or really any downside to owning.