Q) Why do I still play UO? A) PKs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bromista

Grandmaster
that was back when there was no voice communication / people still played in internet cafes, and back when only a few people actually had AssistUO, wasnt it? Permastatloss would be a joke in 2015 and a huge turn-off for everyone who's not a faggy trammy.
I'm a faggy Trammy with reds. I'm no elite PvPer by any means...I don't do every little thing I can to gain a competitive advantage. I don't fight in large numbers. I die all the time. That's not going to change and I would still support perma stat if implemented properly. At the very least some form of short-term/long-term counts.

Am I going to complain if it doesn't get implemented? No. I'll keep playing just as I always have.

Does every "PK/PvPer" absolutely fall apart at the mere suggestion of stat? YUP. Would some quit if it were implemented? Absolutely.

Finding a balance ain't easy. For some it's a non-issue. I wonder if they are benefiting from the current system? Hard to imagine, right?

GluttonySDS

Grandmaster
Solution: Have staff create incentives for people to join TB and make that the anti PK faction... ROD(rekt/Hi alliance) is already a large anti PK guild and they have TBs so theres a good base of soldiers to start with. This would also finally create a 4th powerful faction(SL, Minax, and CoM are already fielding good groups) and the faction action could potentially be insane(which keeps faction reds out of dungeons and in the brit no cut PVP zone and in faction base fights, which are awesome).

GluttonySDS

Grandmaster
i'm sure if you guys took a break from farming/champs you could have at least ten. Then message trin & bad\hi alliance in IRC you could have a group of 20+. Next step would be for you all you all to get in the UOF's FREE vent and start calling targets. Sadly it probably won't happen because a lot of trammie blues have this massive pixel ego and refuse to work together.

They could easily have 10+ TB soldiers on every night.... maybe Deriz isnt the leader Lord Gluttony is.

kurtis

Grandmaster
I think a lot of proponents of any harsh stat loss penalties that refer back to the pre-trammel days are forgetting a few things:
  1. In pre-trammel, there was no "you are a criminal, you cannot escape easily" that prevented recalling. You could recall at any time, no matter what. That's how murderers escaped from murky situations.
  2. In pre-trammel, there were no special moves like stuns or para blows. Being stunned into perma stat loss is just ridiculous.
  3. In pre-trammel, there were no auto-honing explo pots to chase people down. Running away if you really wanted to was a fairly easy task.
And perma stat loss was always stupid because you could literally lose connection or .EXE (happened all the time back then) and you've lost a char. Especially with the ddos attacks that have been happening in the past few months? It just doesn't make sense any more.

That said, I still think the murderer penalties are too lax. I agree with everyone else: remove auto buy-back option.

Ledz Epplin

Master
I'm pretty sure conversations like this is how Trammel came about. It was the right idea, just a bad implementation.

Fine, make a Trammel, but cut everything down to 25% of the rewards in Fel. Nerf skill gain by 75%, 25% of the ore, 25% of the gold, 75% less chance of a stat on weapon drop, and on and on.

It gives the noobs a place to learn, instantly doubles the map size, and is a win win for everyone. Want to take the risk vs reward as oppsed to the 4x grind? Go to Fel and take a risk.

Win, win.

TheFallen

Grandmaster
Full trammel is too much. Need to keep a small landmass for player interaction.

However as I said make despise a trammy dungeon and you have offered an option and This taken away the ability to whine about pk. Lower the rewards significantly.

What you may see is people actually forming farming parties in despise and venturing out into the scarier world for the big rewards. Balance.

Lexington

Grandmaster
I'm pretty sure conversations like this is how Trammel came about. It was the right idea, just a bad implementation.

Fine, make a Trammel, but cut everything down to 25% of the rewards in Fel. Nerf skill gain by 75%, 25% of the ore, 25% of the gold, 75% less chance of a stat on weapon drop, and on and on.

It gives the noobs a place to learn, instantly doubles the map size, and is a win win for everyone. Want to take the risk vs reward as oppsed to the 4x grind? Go to Fel and take a risk.

Win, win.

All kidding aside... You're probably right but we aren't big enough to justify a larger landmass ... We're hardly big enough to support a healthy faction / PVP system which is probably what's the issue behind the OPers post. On average what would we have 200 or so unique IPs loged in at once. Thats a far cry from the 2,000 + we would have had back in the games prime. Either way I love the game and don't want to see it fail. If it was up to me things would be more basic, but it's not my game is it... I'm just a guest.

TheFallen

Grandmaster
Some people aren't cut out for a game like this.. and those people are the ones asking for changes.
With the exception that some of us can actually ask fora change for the good of the server and not just ourselves. I really don't mind things how they are from either side but what don't want is the server to lose any potential players as a multi player game sucks by yourself.

wendy whoppers

Grandmaster
Btw, add in perma stat and see the zergs double in size.
This. Want to see POWER and EQMS allie? This would probably do it. Then you can enjoy a 30 man zerg crashing every spawn and pure self destruction. There is almost no pvp outside red vs blue. You're a moron to think otherwise. Perma stat will see this shards pvp die in a second.

Back in the days of 'perma stat' most people ran 56k connections or less. Reds rolled deep with blue healers and gaters, not to mention they were generally the players on cable who dominated in speed. Most people were newbs and no voice programs existed. It's a different environment today with people calling in ganks via voice programs etc. A lot of you live in the past, it's a different game.

PK timer...? Would benefit those who hunt solo a lot from being pk'd endless times.. at least after being pk'd once then maybe a period of time before you can be again unless agreed to engage... not sure if this makes any sense... .. but hunting solo at this point for myself isn't even an option anymore unless its killing chickens and shit...big gold there

TheFallen

Grandmaster
Ok what if the answer really is trammel?

Ok settle down and read first.

So the problem that we are worried about is population. Large groups is population so we don't want to nerf them into oblivion. Individual farmers are population and we want them to not dread every farming session and quit either. So what if we made the entire dungeon of despise trammel rule set but in true risk vs reward style nerf the crap out if the reward. Champ drops 1 scroll. Gold is dropped to 25%. Ss drop reduced.

This would give players trying to get on their feet a safe place to grind out enough wealth that they will be invested in the server and stay but will most likely move on to other dungeons for the greater rewards once they are adequately supplied.

This should end the blues quiting and have minimal impact on Reds as most Blues would still opt to farm the more lucrative areas.

The argument for more pk punishment would now be responded to by "go farm trammy despise".

In the end both sides will complain about this suggestion because it does nothing for 95% of the map and it does give a spot where you can't pk. So if everyone is upset it must be perfect.
Ok I'm posting this for the third time I have to see anyone from either side say they don't like it or why it wouldn't work.

Bromista

Grandmaster
This. Want to see POWER and EQMS allie? This would probably do it. Then you can enjoy a 30 man zerg crashing every spawn and pure self destruction. There is almost no pvp outside red vs blue. You're a moron to think otherwise. Perma stat will see this shards pvp die in a second.

Back in the days of 'perma stat' most people ran 56k connections or less. Reds rolled deep with blue healers and gaters, not to mention they were generally the players on cable who dominated in speed. Most people were newbs and no voice programs existed. It's a different environment today with people calling in ganks via voice programs etc. A lot of you live in the past, it's a different game.
This is an example of someone who is out of touch with the past, present, and future of UO.

O.k. he's right about the game being different in regards to connection and VOIP but that's where it stops. On Chesapeake PKs were much more honorable and rolled solo or in small groups almost exclusively.

Orange vs orange is blowing up right now, but you don't faction so I'm not surprised that you haven't gotten the memo.

There will never be a 30 man zerg crashing anything, let alone everything. But if you guys wanna go join Minax more POWER to you.

Smh...

Tard the Paladin

Grandmaster
Let's see if we can frame the debate more clearly.

Does everyone want stiffer penalties for ALL reds including the ones that aren't Zerging?

or

Would everyone rather see a system that focuses on the huge red Zergs?

If everyone is butt hurt over the ridiculous zergs then I think the solution is going to have to deal with group combat among red characters. This could include party members, guild members, or red characters within a radius. You could make it so that there are restrictions on the group combat dynamics such as who can heal who, etc. That said, I don't particularly advocate for this idea but I'm not sure what other ways you can affect group zerg's while not penalizing the reds that don't.

Thoughts?

Lexington

Grandmaster
[QUOTE

Lots of truth here but I doubt a change in statloss would result in 30 man zergs. The majority of the payer base came here because of the past... the game is even marketed that way. Is there a way to keep the nostalgia with today's technology... Probably?

wendy whoppers

Grandmaster
This is an example of someone who is out of touch with the past, present, and future of UO.

O.k. he's right about the game being different in regards to connection and VOIP but that's where it stops. On Chesapeake PKs were much more honorable and rolled solo or in small groups almost exclusively.

Orange vs orange is blowing up right now, but you don't faction so I'm not surprised that you haven't gotten the memo.

There will never be a 30 man zerg crashing anything, let alone everything. But if you guys wanna go join Minax more POWER to you.

Smh...
You have no idea who my characters are. I faction all the time and I'm also one of the only solo pks around. I've utterly owner your ass with the few encounters we had - solo too. I guess I'm not honourable because you died too fast.

Please leave your comments in the pvm threads. You have no idea on pks or pvp. This is not a thread about whaling.

Ledz Epplin

Master
Honestly when my blue provo/mage is out there in a dungeon, it doesn't really matter if it's a 2 man or 20 man zerg, I'm fubar regardless.

So I die, get more regs, and make up what I lost in 5 minutes somewhere else.

No biggie. Deal and play on.

Status
Not open for further replies.