Things that were fun, and made the shard popular and populated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeB

Adept
I do not disagree with things said on this forum I just want to address the things said in regards to answering of pages and just hiring staff IN game(an in game staff char with commands). This is mostly in regards to regularly held pvp tournies, ctfs, invasions etc.

This is not in regards to large scale events that require a lot of planning and coding write ups like the easter events and such. Also not in regards to the Event Manager staff position. Usually restarts are required for those big events as well due to the new things coded in. I have very little to do with those. I am sure most people understand the work that goes into events like that.

In regards to In Game staff members: Just hiring staff is not as easy as you think. It is something that Shane and Adam are the final say on. Staff members do not always work out. You can't just hire any player who is active as staff. That is just asking for corruption. You can't just give every single staff member access to everything on the shard because you need to develop a trust for a person before you open up the shard and all of the players to vulnerability. It is dangerous to the shard to just give some random guy GM commands. In my time on staff I have seen Tons of new staff members come and go for various reasons. Not pulling their weight or logging on at all, abuse of commands, getting overly involved in the "drama" of the players, etc.

Event masters, the people who can run pvp tournies, CTFs, also have a very high access to commands. It is just a step below a GM. You can do a lot of good and bad in an event master position. It requires/allows you to see things that are hidden to every player on the shard including spawners because of the way the pvp tournies and docks are set up. I could go on forever as to why we can't just make any player an event master. Basically finding the right people who you can trust and are active and will STAY active for months not just a few weeks is not easy by any means.

In regards to pages: We do not choose them off of a list 1 to whatever. They all appear on a list together. You do the pages you can do immediately such as moving a butler finding someones stuff stuck in walls, answering questions, checking spawners etc, etc. Not to mention the full policing of the shard. Things that do not get paged in on that we have to check up on. Certain staff are expected to do certain things in game. Someone paging about being scammed would not be answered for a number of reasons by the staff currently online. I personally do not have access to saves to fire up the test shard. This is not something I would expect to be given either. I typically will not answer a page that I feel requires me to confirm items existed in the particular location the player is claiming. I am an Admin in game any staff member lower would also not be able to answer either. This requires another staff member to answer that page. Essentially an Admin or above with access to saves and to fire up the test shard. We do send pages into the staff chat or in pms to bring them to the attention to others with that access. The access to that kind of stuff is again dangerous to be given to just any person. If a page isn't answered like that especially in regards to Scamming, something much more complicated then rename my butler I would pm Eppy, Shane, Adam and Me all at once on forums or mIRC. Those things aren't just a simple oh let me do something about this right this second because it requires potentially us taking items from players and or jailing etc. Things need to be confirmed to be fair to all players involved. That all comes down also to staff feeling as though there is a reason to even do anything about the situation. Depending on the nature of the scam we may not intervene at all. I do not know the details of your case just making a generalization.

I have changed ton's of butlers name's so idk when you were apparently paging in regards to that. Only a staff member with access to Props can change the name of anything. This again is a huge thing to give to a staff member. Props means we can pretty much alter anything in game, can add things, remove things including entire items. You can see details of players, pretty much everything you can imagine. GMs and Above have that kind of access. We can't all be online all the time many of us have full time jobs, kids, wives, etc. It would be nice to be able to just grab some random player and be like hey you are online a lot let me teach you some commands and here you go answer these pages at your
discretion but you can't just do that. You have to vet them over time.

Swayze

Grandmaster
I don't think we disagree with anything you said @JoeB but at some point as the server grows, the staff needs to grow. The staff needs to put trust into someone at some point - it's that simple. Even kicking off a interview process is a step in the right direction.

JoeB

Adept
We did hire a counselor recently. Too new to make a determination on the commitment. It is hard to peel from player to staff. Often they choose player over staff to use their time, understandably.

a magical man

Grandmaster
Wish I could be a lead designer and idealist in events. I don't have the skillset of coding etc. I have extreme idea's and design I wish I could bring to life though! ^_^

Messremb

Grandmaster
@JoeB and @eppy are really good about answering pages, and i know @JennaL puts on a ton of tournaments and CTFs type things.

you 3 do a great job as the people who actually have to interact with this shard full of raging nerds.

P.S. Please get @Adam to contact me about the Raffle Island, been almost a month of me reaching out to him and i cant get a peep out of him. its getting very frustrating.

With all the respect Messremb (to be honest without any respect for you), but all the staff members i know are good in what they do, it's not limited on the 4 figures you mentioned. You talk about raging nerds in the shard and you are the first one accused someone about cheating when was trying to do something usefull for the comunity, the island where you live is one example. If that shitty attitude from players were changed prolly there were more staff members today for sure.

Bobby123

Grandmaster
With all the respect Messremb (to be honest without any respect for you), but all the staff members i know are good in what they do, it's not limited on the 4 figures you mentioned. You talk about raging nerds in the shard and you are the first one accused someone about cheating when was trying to do something usefull for the comunity, the island where you live is one example. If that shitty attitude from players were changed prolly there were more staff members today for sure.

I vote @Guybrush Threepwood to be the MASTER OF THE EVENT MASTER !

!!!

Messremb

Grandmaster
Where did I say any staff wasn't good at what they do. The 3 I mentioned are the ones I know are interacting with players daily. Shane and Adam are dealing with big picture stuff. i'm sorry if your feelings were hurt that the majority of the shard thought you were paying favorites, and you can blindly blame me for that if you wish, I really couldn't care less what you think of me.

Kilike

Grandmaster
but how many people actually donated 200$ compared to 90% of butlers were BOUGHT using gold. and it takes longer than a minute
Butlers can only be bought WITH dono coins. So even if I pay for it with only gold. SOMEONE paid for the dono that I bought.

Anyways.

More staff, more communication, remove tamers from pvp, 120s for all. Lawls! Release tech
/allthreads.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

wreckognize

Grandmaster
Where did I say any staff wasn't good at what they do. The 3 I mentioned are the ones I know are interacting with players daily. Shane and Adam are dealing with big picture stuff. i'm sorry if your feelings were hurt that the majority of the shard thought you were paying favorites, and you can blindly blame me for that if you wish, I really couldn't care less what you think of me.

the real question is, since you bought the raffle island from a player then why do you feel entitled enough not only to take up the lead developers time for your personal matters but also to get frusterated when he doesn't hop to? I would think that the raffle island owner already had a chance to get some perks added, as that was part of the deal. But customizing it for the player who bought the place? thats a little over the top. There's plenty of content we would love to see released so if you don't mind, enjoy what you already have been given (You've been handed down a lot already, haven't you?) and enough with the spoiled brat routine.

I don't blame staff for taking their time with you. It's pretty obvious you hit the page button more than any other player.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blaine the Gypsy

Grandmaster
the real question is, since you bought the raffle island from a player then why do you feel entitled enough not only to take up the lead developers time for your personal matters but also to get frusterated when he doesn't hop to? I would think that the raffle island owner already had a chance to get some perks added, as that was part of the deal. But customizing it for the player who bought the place? thats a little over the top. There's plenty of content we would love to see released so if you don't mind, enjoy what you already have been given (You've been handed down a lot already, haven't you?) and enough with the spoiled brat routine.

I don't blame staff for taking their time with you. It's pretty obvious you hit the page button more than any other player.

How was this island bought anyways? In game gold? Dono coins(real money)? Money(Yes real money)? (Which would be totally against shard policies.)

Why doesn't everyone else have their own staff member to alter crap around their houses?

Where are quests and rewards?

Messremb

Grandmaster

You, unfortunately, know nothing of the situation, and it is obvious in your post. Thanks for playing.

As far as I know, all of our normal events have still been occuring. Are there particular examples you have to present? The only thing I can think of is random city invasions or champ spawns. These still occur regularly but at all different times of the day/night.

Im going to go out on a limb here and touch on some of this. I play at all times of the day and night since I have the luxury of working from home. I came from another server where the population was low but events were more common. Here is what I am noticing about UOF. The common events I am seeing more than any are PVP related for the tournaments, but what about for those who do not do a lot of PVP? The invasions do happen but are not that common and the rewards are not that great as well. Being in the business I am in do not come with complaints without suggestions to fix it.

Tournaments - are great and make the PVP community happy. Great work
Invasions - up these to happen more with a slight reward upgrade.
Random bosses - Do more of the random special bosses
Quests - add in some with small rewards and tough ones with high end rewards
Rewards - how about adding in the rewards discussed months ago for the vorpal bunnies so the thorns we farm are not useless. Unless you want a lot of vines.

Oh an here is a big one, how about that Halloween quest? hmmm....

Do little more for the PVE community other than a random invasion or a brief drop in from Arch Demon. Im not bitter, I would just like to see and do more. There are some things that can be done without major content up grades to hold folks over until those are implemented.

Status
Not open for further replies.