Using Detect while hidden reveals yourself?

SidX

Grandmaster
Since the faction restart today, using Detect Hidden on the ground while hidden myself reveals my own character. Is this intended? In the past I've always been able to stay hidden while using Detect.

Sommerella

Master
It would also be cool if they could make it so when you're using your detect hidden, you don't reveal your party members in the process.

Pealt

Just noticed this today on my griefer. If this was intentional, it's a good change. I'll just find other ways to bother people.

You shouldn't be revealed by your own skill, this is broken.

This is making the skill useless to the thief class. You might as well make EV's and BS's attack their owners while you are at it. The logic that any action makes you reveal yourself makes sense for any skill other than detect HIDDEN.

Last edited by a moderator:

SidX

Grandmaster
You shouldn't be revealed by your own skill, this is broken.

This is making the skill useless to the thief class. You might as well make EV's and BS's attack their owners while you are at it. The logic that any action makes you reveal yourself makes sense for any skill other than detect HIDDEN.
Exactly. If you are a Grandmaster at Detect Hidden, you'd think you would NOT detect yourself...? Or at least if you are GM Hiding + GM Detect, you should remain hidden if you use Detect.

If this change is permanent, you might as well have EVs also attack the caster or make incognito set you to permagray. I mean, I can see revealing yourself if you have 0.0 Detect, but there is now no point of raising this skill as it has become virtually useless for thieves using Stealth.

Even a skill as simple as Detect has its strategic advantages. If used right, it can really be a strong tactic in multiple situations.. champ spawns, thieving, the list goes on.. but that goes out the window now.

Last edited by a moderator:

amonseti

Grandmaster
Up it was intended

February 23rd, 2015 - Changed Detect Hidden so it reveals the skill user as well.

FUCKING stupid change this has got to be the worst implimentation yet ... Wow I cant beleve this .. Screws over an entire template ..
so how long until they just remove stealing from the game. wtf is the point .

SidX

Grandmaster
Up it was intended

February 23rd, 2015 - Changed Detect Hidden so it reveals the skill user as well.

FUCKING stupid change this has got to be the worst implimentation yet ... Wow I cant beleve this .. Screws over an entire template ..
@Shane any info as to why this was changed? Now that I see it isn't a bug and was an intended change.. Detect is a MAJOR component to the thief template so I can only imagine the reason for this being changed was because of the complaints about thieves.

By having Detect reveal the user as well, the entire thief template has been changed like amon said. It is a strategic skill and should be used as it was intended IMO.

If there will be a change added that could potentially reveal the user, make it based on the skill... someone with 50.0 Detect would have a 50% chance of revealing themselves. If you have 80.0 Detect, your chance of revealing yourself is 20%... but GM should NEVER reveal the caster IMO. Makes the skill 100% worthless.

Guttersnipe

Grandmaster
Up it was intended

Yeah, this one bugs the shit out of me.

@Shane can we get a reason for this one? And please undo it.

Pealt

Can someone give me an example of what you can't do now that you could do before? This isn't a challenge, it's an honest question. I liked this change at first, but now after reading this thread I'm not so sure. It sounds like it's going to cause some problems. Some posts here are saying this makes the skill worthless, but I still think the skill is worth having, so I could use some more info.

Vince[Tharakus]

Grandmaster
Im torn.....I see both sides.
I use detect to find those easy "afk" targets. So I'm thinking, all I have to do now is just hide again once I reveal target. I have that skill cooldown period of 10 seconds so that will bother me.
But like I said I'm torn. Not even sure why it was changed to begin with. But like Amon stated, probably to cater to the crybabies......smh
My vote would be to erase the change, I do not see why it was changed to begin with. So I'm another one that would like to know the reason this change was implemented to begin with.

wreckognize

Grandmaster
i dunno guys, it makes sense both reasonably and realistically..

realistically, how are you going to reveal to all that someone is hidden here! without revealing yourself?

detect kind of is the anti-stealth skill, at least, that's how it's supposed to be..

and reasonably, revealing someone can be pretty powerful in the right situation...

SidX

Grandmaster
Can someone give me an example of what you can't do now that you could do before? This isn't a challenge, it's an honest question. I liked this change at first, but now after reading this thread I'm not so sure. It sounds like it's going to cause some problems. Some posts here are saying this makes the skill worthless, but I still think the skill is worth having, so I could use some more info.
Thieves (or anyone) could use Detect Hidden to reveal other hidden players, but we were able to use Detect Hidden while hidden. So basically, as a thief who relies solely on hiding and stealth, we could track other players and stealth up to them. If they were hidden, we could use Detect Hidden to reveal them but remain hidden ourselves. This was how the skill was originally intended. What was changed today is that we can no longer use Detect Hidden this way-- it now reveals the user as well instead of allowing the user to remain hidden.

Something a lot of people say who dislike thieves is that thieves are overpowered because they can (a) steal while mounted, and (b) reveal players while hidden. What they aren't understanding is that thieves CANNOT attack or kill other players while in the Thieve's Guild, and we CANNOT wear any armor while stealing. So not only do we have very minimal defenses, we can't even attack our victims if they decide to attack us. All we can do is run and play survival. So mounts are paramount (no pun intended) in our ability to be successful.

The fact that now we cannot detect other players while hidden really changes the thief template entirely. Literally, the only explanation for this is to cater to people who complain about thieves consistently.. there's no other logical explanation I can think of.

Why would you change a skill so that somebody who is a grandmaster in detecting other hidden players reveals themselves while using the skill? Kind of defeats the purpose of the skill if you ask me. Nobody who is a grandmaster at revealing other players should reveal themselves.

It's just as unfair to anyone who is NOT a mage to have to deal with EVs all the time. Why don't EVs attack the caster as well? @amonseti had a good point...

wreckognize

Grandmaster
it means literally nothing that they are a 'grandmaster' although i love how you highlighted it for emphasis..

truth is, detect be like
oh-look-we-got-a-badass-over-here.jpg

SidX

Grandmaster
99/100 of the people who are going to agree with this change don't play a thief on UOF and have not seen any benefit of the Detect skill.

wreckognize

Grandmaster
personally I roll a stealth mage with detect track at all times on my 3rd account. You can't please everyone with game mechanics.

All I'm saying is having detect hidden be most beneficial for hiders did seem a bit off, since the skills are intended to be polar opposites.

No need to be upset really, there could be a thief buff on the way, who knows. There hasn't been any official word on the subject yet.

crazy-horse

Master
Thank you Shane. Now the Arch Demon room is a shooting gallery for PKs who dont want any more of a challenge than shooting goldfish in a bowl.

jeffe

Master
Detect already has to compete against the Reveal spell. It is difficult to justify using 100 skill points in Detect Hidden that now reveals you when you can put 100 skill points in magery and have all the benefits of the detect hidden skill for what 20 mana and a 2 second cast time (plus HEALING, SUMMONS, INVIS, etc)? You add in that Detect at GM doesn't work all of the time and the skill points are even less worthwhile.

This is a bad change and ultimately ruins the skill. Why would anyone have detect hidden that wasn't a faction trapper OR a detect bot parked at a bank revealing thieves? Ultimately, the change makes templates more cookie-cutter; taking away a viable option (dungeon crawler -- tracking & detect) from a stealther's template.

How about this for a proposed change: Change detect the back the way it was unless you detect a faction trap, in which case, you are revealed.