100+ Provocation question

edw3rdwood

Grandmaster
What is the best way to determine my chance to provo advanced mobs? I'm looking to take Provo to 100+ but am wondering how high I need it to be for certain monsters

DragonxBC

Grandmaster
you only need 115 provoke to always suceed except on ancient shadow wryms paragorns you get a small 2% chance to fail.

If blaine is failing on lower end mobs i already know why its happening lol

Snickle

Grandmaster
Yea I'd imagine blaine is probably using below then 100 music. If you fail your music check, you won't even get to the Provo check. 100 music and you never fail your music check. I've tested at 90 music and way too often did I get the message "you play your instrument poorly, thus having no effect." Which means I failed the music check and didn't even make it to the Provo check.
I have 115 provo and still fail like one in ten time vs ancient wyrms at my lvl 6 maps. Also at 115, I still fail on some shadow wyrm paragons. I'd recommend striving for 120 so you don't fail paragons

Snickle

Grandmaster
Hmm. I never use slayer weapons. Tends to be a lot more work. Using the wrong slayer on as mob could lead to a higher chance of failing. Like a Repond drum on a lich Lord. Maybe that's the problem you're having. Exceptional ftw :)

Bromista

Grandmaster
lol 120 never fails unless using an opposing slayer instruments on high end paragons.

Shame on you Blaine! :)

edw3rdwood

Grandmaster
I noticed an Ancient Lich "cannot be the first target of Provoke" or whatever on that site. Does this carry for any other mobs? Should I generally provoke "weaker" mobs ONTO stronger mobs as a rule of thumb?

Hephastus

Journeyman
Yeah, that's how you do it.

You gain skill faster though if you first provoke the stronger mob onto the weaker one.

Bromista

Grandmaster
I actually don't think skill gain is effected by the order of difficulty of mobs provoked. I think skill gain is just based on pass/fail and just seems like a correlation.

However there are a handful of spawn that cannot be provoked (you get a msg saying you cannot provoke these creatures) but CAN be provoked onto. Ancient liches are not one of these creatures, you can provoke these at will assuming 120 provo.

All this being said I have been 120 provo for a year now. Before 120 there were creatures I could not provoke, actually I think 110 was the benchmark you had to hit to be able to provoke some creatures that a GM provo could not.

Bromista

Grandmaster
Could be wrong about that first part but I'm pretty sure there's some sort of equation that takes the difficulty of both monsters and spits out a success chance that's the same forwards or backwards.